Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I know there's always talk of expansion (Montreal's name always pops up) but Portland look like they're getting in the mix.

https://www.portlanddiamondproject.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I know there's always talk of expansion (Montreal's name always pops up) but Portland look like they're getting in the mix

Slightly off topic but bear with me. They'd also love an NHL team. I think it would be a great city for both hockey and baseball. Ive always been surprised they only had one Pro sports team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

mod9maple wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but bear with me. They'd also love an NHL team. I think it would be a great city for both hockey and baseball. Ive always been surprised they only had one Pro sports team.

They have 2 - Trail Blazers and Timber. Seattle is almost certainly getting a hockey team soon so not sure what that would mean for any potential Portland hockey team.

All this Mets/Mariners trade talk is just journalists filling space.

Sure there's always some space filling but I think it's past that point in this case. I hope it comes to nothing but if Mariners can get 3 or 4 good prospects out of the deal then that'd be exciting.

Deal now being reported as McNeil, Kelenic, Dunn, Bruce and Swarzak to Mariners in exchange for Cano and Diaz.

I gather from the Twitter machine that this is a bad deal for Mets.

Another update: McNeil is not going to be included. Not so keen on this deal now.

• Advertisement

Deal now being reported as McNeil, Kelenic, Dunn, Bruce and Swarzak to Mariners in exchange for Cano and Diaz.

I gather from the Twitter machine that this is a bad deal for Mets.

Another update: McNeil is not going to be included. Not so keen on this deal now.

I tell you something, getting Kelenic is a huge coup for the Mariners. Obviously I’ve never seen him play so am only going on what scouts and reporters are saying but apparently he’s going to be a star. Ok, he’s only 19 and not every prospect pans out but his upside is massive. I’d hate to see him go.

I tell you something, getting Kelenic is a huge coup for the Mariners. Obviously I’ve never seen him play so am only going on what scouts and reporters are saying but apparently he’s going to be a star. Ok, he’s only 19 and not every prospect pans out but his upside is massive. I’d hate to see him go.

$60m of Cano's remaining $120m coming the Mets way. Twitter is gas, you have half of the Mets guys going mad saying this is the worst deal ever and the other half loving it saying it's brilliant. Only time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm liking the Mets/Mariners deal. Diaz is an elite closer so far, 4 years of control. Cano probably will play o.k.. Bruce and Swarzak are gone, that's not terrifying at all. Swarzak was a disaster pretty much every time out.

The rookies the Mets kicked into the deal, well, they're rookies. Amusing that on the same day, the Mets re-signed one-time 'second baseman of the future' Dilson Herrera to a minor-league contract. Herrera was included in the trade for Jay Bruce originally and the online "Mets congnoscenti" were all over what a terrible trade it was. Bruce had some good stretches. Herrera couldn't crack the Reds lineup. The *Reds*.

Time will tell, of course. My bigger concerns is this is yet another 'all-star AL second baseman' moving to the NL to play for the Mets. After Carlos Baerga and Roberto Alomar, I don't have good hopes there :P

$60m of Cano's remaining $120m coming the Mets way. Twitter is gas, you have half of the Mets guys going mad saying this is the worst deal ever and the other half loving it saying it's brilliant. Only time will tell I suppose.

If Mariners take Bruce's contract too then the net cost to the Mets will be much less. In return they are getting a very good second basemen who is definitely in the twilight of his career but is still elite (3.2 WAR even though he only played ~80 games) and a lights out closer who has HOF potential.

If Mariners take Bruce's contract too then the net cost to the Mets will be much less. In return they are getting a very good second basemen who is definitely in the twilight of his career but is still elite (3.2 WAR even though he only played ~80 games) and a lights out closer who has HOF potential.

Yeah if the rumours are true (and we won't know until everything's made official), the Mariners are paying $60m of Cano's money, all of Bruce's $28m and all of the $8.5m due to Swarzak. So the Mets are getting $96.5m in salary relief. Whether they'll spend that in free agency, we'll have to wait. And see as the Wilpon's didn't re-invest the insurance money they've been getting from David Wright's contract, I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

This tweet is from 2013 when Cano signed with Seattle.

https://twitter.com/mikekerwick/status/409049332562677760

Sounds like the deal is done bar some formalities (approval from Commissioner's office for the amount of that Mariners are sending, Cano to waive his NTC and physicals).

Full deal is: Diaz, Cano and $20M to Mets for Bruce, Swarzak, Kelenic, Dunn and Bautista. Mets will pay Cano 5 yrs $63M once subtract how much owe Bruce/Swarzak plus $20M

Sounds like the deal is done bar some formalities (approval from Commissioner's office for the amount of that Mariners are sending, Cano to waive his NTC and physicals).

Full deal is: Diaz, Cano and $20M to Mets for Bruce, Swarzak, Kelenic, Dunn and Bautista. Mets will pay Cano 5 yrs $63M once subtract how much owe Bruce/Swarzak plus $20M

As a Seattle fan, what do you reckon?

I'm on the fence as a Mets fan. I know not every prospect comes through but I had heard really good things about Kelenic. That could come back to haunt the Mets. And Cano's 36 so his production is only going to go one way.

But it's probably not fair to look at one move in isolation. I'll wait to see who else arrives and leaves and look at the off-season as a whole.

As a Seattle fan, what do you reckon?

I'm on the fence as a Mets fan. I know not every prospect comes through but I had heard really good things about Kelenic. That could come back to haunt the Mets. And Cano's 36 so his production is only going to go one way.

But it's probably not fair to look at one move in isolation. I'll wait to see who else arrives and leaves and look at the off-season as a whole.

I think there are a ton of upsides for the Mariners - getting rid of Cano's contract is huge. They'll now have money to spend in FA starting 2020 (after Felix's contract expires too) Getting Kelenic seems like a coup and maybe Bruce will rediscover his form next season.

There's some risks for the Mets. Cano is a good hitter now but his defence is on the decline and he wants to become the all time HR leader for 2nd basemen so he won't move to 1st (apparently he hated playing 1st/3rd last year but felt like he had no choice after the suspension). There's no DH position for the Mets to hide him in (for now). Also some players realise as they get older that they need to work harder to keep up a level of performance (Cruz and Raul Ibanez are 2 good examples of that) but I don't think Cano is that kind of person. Some speculation around that Cano is happy to go to Mets as he likes to be seen around town in NY. Diaz is obviously a star but Mets need a good 8th inning pitcher to complement him (I've no idea what their bullpen is like).

Only time will tell who won the trade (if anyone).

Looks like Mariners are trading Segura to Phillies in exchange for JP Crawford and I assume another yet to be named player.

Now if only they could get rid of Seagar.

Looks like Mariners are trading Segura to Phillies in exchange for JP Crawford and I assume another yet to be named player.

Now if only they could get rid of Seagar.

Mariners certainly not wasting time with their Mets haul. Apparently Swarzak is the PTBNL in that deal.

EDIT - Now they’re saying he isn’t involved.

Mariners traded Segura, Juan Nicasio and James Pazos to Phillies for JP Crawford and Carlos Santana. Awful trade, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I think there are a ton of upsides for the Mariners - getting rid of Cano's contract is huge. They'll now have money to spend in FA starting 2020 (after Felix's contract expires too) Getting Kelenic seems like a coup and maybe Bruce will rediscover his form next season.

There's some risks for the Mets. Cano is a good hitter now but his defence is on the decline and he wants to become the all time HR leader for 2nd basemen so he won't move to 1st (apparently he hated playing 1st/3rd last year but felt like he had no choice after the suspension). There's no DH position for the Mets to hide him in (for now). Also some players realise as they get older that they need to work harder to keep up a level of performance (Cruz and Raul Ibanez are 2 good examples of that) but I don't think Cano is that kind of person. Some speculation around that Cano is happy to go to Mets as he likes to be seen around town in NY. Diaz is obviously a star but Mets need a good 8th inning pitcher to complement him (I've no idea what their bullpen is like).

Only time will tell who won the trade (if anyone).

From a Mets point of view I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros:
    • We're getting an elite Closer in Diaz (Still need more depth in Bullpen)
    • Goodbye Bruce and Swarzak (Although knowing our luck Bruce will rebound with a monster season)
    • Cano, All Star who is still Productive. Yes his defence is on the slide. But if he can remain Productive for the next two seasons and his defence doesn't go too far south I'll be happy. I've already written off the last two years of the deal.

Cons
    • Cano suffers major regression
    • Would have preferred not to take on some such of Cano's salary
    • Giving up Kelenic. Really hope it doesn't come back to bite.

All the indications are the Mets are not done yet. The Winter meetings could be very interesting.

Is anyone not going to the NLE...????

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1070057934393094145

6 years. That's an awful lot of money invested in the top 3 of their rotation. They're certainly all in. I wonder is that the Harper money?

Is anyone not going to the NLE...????

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1070057934393094145

6 years. That's an awful lot of money invested in the top 3 of their rotation. They're certainly all in. I wonder is that the Harper money?

NLE shaping up to be very competitive next year, only team not in contention would be Marlins (imo).

Sounds like the Mets went after Diaz hard from what Brodie Van Wagenen said at the press conference.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the Mets went after Diaz hard from what Brodie Van Wagenen said at the press conference.

I heard that and that he wanted to stop the Phillies getting him. Is that a reason to sign a player and give up some top prospects though? Seems a bit weird to be worrying about who other team are signing. Focus on your own roster and who's good for your team.

Great conversation with former Marlins president David Sansom on the local hour of Dan LeBatard's radio show today. He comes on the show quite often but has been on 'gardening leave' from the Marlins since Jeter's crew took over so legally he couldn't say anything about his time working there. But his contract ended recently so he came on and spilt the beans in a humorous way (nothing too incriminating) about some of the decisions made when he worked for the team. It's well worth a listen if you have 40 minutes or so to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭boccy23

Dbacks trade Paul Goldschmidt to the Cards for Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly (Major League ready Catcher) infielder Andy Young and a pick.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25462239/mlb-st-louis-cardinals-land-superstar-slugger-needed-trade-paul-goldschmidt

As a Dbacks fan, I am sad that Goldie is leaving. Can see the business sense and from reading reviews, it is fair on both sides. Up to the Cards now to extend him. Making $14M in 2019 which is peanuts for his production.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

So the Bryce Harper saga is ongoing , Yankees gm came out today and said theres no room for him in the outfield and that there happy at 1st base.Personally I feel he will head to the Dodgers and maybe puig will head the other way .Its gonna be intresting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting rumors (hey, it's the winter meetings) about a 3 way Marlins/Yankees/Mets trade involving Realmuto and Syndegaard

Mets get Realmuto (and others, maybe Sonny Gray?)
    Yankees get Syndegaard, Lagares and Todd Frazier
    MIA gets some rookies from NYY - sanchez and byrd (I think they're on the NYY)

I dunno, there's some high end pitching out there, not sure why the Yankees do this deal, frankly. Realmuto's a prize, seems like MIA could get more.

Andrew McCutchen to the Phillies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Andrew McCutchen to the Phillies.
    Reporting 3 year deal at 50 million. McCutchen did well. NL East is shaping up to be very interesting

Troy Tulowitski has been released by Toronto too. Any takers do you reckon? Won't cost any players in a trade.

Twitter's great during the winter meetings. I have the tab open while watching the football and it's great seeing the news and rumours (mostly unfounded ones) coming through. Very entertaining!

• Advertisement

Troy Tulowitski has been released by Toronto too. Any takers do you reckon? Won't cost any players in a trade.

Unlikely. Part of the reason the Blue Jays released him is he didn't want to play anywhere other than shortstop. I doubt he can still be a good shortstop at 34 years of age after a couple of years out with injury.

Advertisement