Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Comments

Gender can not be in anyway separated from the issue
    Hullaballoo's instruction was clear enough: Ciara Kelly's gender is irrelevant to this thread. Drop it, all of you.

Last warning. The previous comments will be reviewed now, and may be actioned.

In the mean time, any more of this ongoing fixation with the presenter's gender = infraction/ ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

I liked GH on The Right Hook. I've listened to him and NT since it launched. There was a good chemistry between Ciara Kelly and George at the start when she contributed in the health slot. I haven't warmed to High Noon but in fairness it's not a typical time of day when I'd be around a radio.
    Ciara's media profile has grown and she enjoys it. I actually think she does well considering she's technically a doctor with little to no media training. And she'll get better. I would agree with a post (in here or in NT thread) that she already has a successful and well paid career in medicine. And that this is taking a position from someone who has trained in broadcast journalism, that they would dream of.
    But it's all fair imo. You want to take the High Noon slot or any other. Go and do it better and get noticed. NT need to confirm Ciara or someone else and move on to other issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Midday was not a good slot for GH I don't think. I'm usually shuffling around the office and mighn't actually turn on the radio until 11 or later. Tbh, if it was 11.30 or after, I'd usually leave it off until 2 for Moncrief because I didn't want to be going straight into Hook - I'd need a good dose of Pat before settling into George and I didn't find his grouching particularly appealing when the hunger pangs were kicking in for lunch. Don't really have that issue with CK, she keeps the format relatively breezy and it's pretty easy listening compared to Hook. The one worry I'd have is if she were to get stuck fully into D'Arcy school of sermonizing which she can veer towards at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Don't really have that issue with CK, she keeps the format relatively breezy and it's pretty easy listening compared to Hook. The one worry I'd have is if she were to get stuck fully into D'Arcy school of sermonizing which she can veer towards at times.

Careful now, the thought police have warned you plenty times about bringing up gender.

doylefe wrote: »
    Careful now, the thought police have warned you plenty times about bringing up gender.

Amazingly, you can talk about someone and use their correct gendered pronouns without using their gender as a metaphorical stick to beat them with. I understand it is a crazy concept for some to grasp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

My original point was that NewsTalk seem to be trying to reboot the lunchtime show. Most regular Hook listeners would not by definition like being preached at. It has now become sermonising central.

They should be more specific in what their intentions are. They seem to have decided to discount the
    Hook listenership and are now going for a different demographic without telling anyone.

Bad move I would have thought in a ratings driven business.
    But when you let politics drive your agenda what can you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

quintana76 wrote: »
    My original point was that NewsTalk seem to be trying to reboot the lunchtime show. Most regular Hook listeners would not by definition like being preached at. It has now become sermonising central.

They should be more specific in what their intentions are. They seem to have decided to discount the
    Hook listenership and are now going for a different demographic without telling anyone.

Bad move I would have thought in a ratings driven business.
    But when you let politics drive your agenda what can you expect.

High Noon since the beginning has been about outrage and taking offence at whatever is the story of the day. George's monologues and "How Dare They." speeches started most shows. It has always been about preaching and sermonising. It was just more entertaining when George did it

It does seem like a different show now so I think they should scrap the name and make a new show

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Vorenus400 wrote: »

It does seem like a different show now so I think they should scrap the name and make a new show

Give Moncrieff back the extra hour. Actually, give him the two hours to say sorry for taking an hour in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Completely agree! With the options at hand they should take a half hour off HN and Yates and return Moncrieff to the 1.30-4.30 slot. Sean is one of the only other broadcasters in the country who can engage an audience for 15 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God she was clueless today when discussing the UK proposal of jailing people who look at radical material online

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    God she was clueless today when discussing the UK proposal of jailing people who look at radical material online
    Yes, that was particularly brutal.

The criminology academic kept trying to explain why you can't feasibly police these videos, one of which he mentioned has 1.2 million hits; and CK just didn't get it.

Finally, she 'agreed to disagree' with the expert, and some texter explained to her what the expert had been saying all along, "if 100 people watch a video, and only 5 of them are terrorists, you can't go depriving the other 95 of their liberty" (or words to that effect), which she finally copped was a fair point.

VinLieger wrote: »

Yeah, it was a car crash interview but your man really should have been able to break it down simply for her the way the texter did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah, it was a car crash interview but your man really should have been able to break it down simply for her the way the texter did.
    It wasn't exactly rocket science, you'd assume given that she's a doctor she has at least a reasonable level of intelligence.

that's true, he wasn't a great communicator; but it should be obvious to any intelligent person, as CK is, why it is unacceptable (and impractical) to deprive such a large amount of people of their liberty, however fleeting, for engaging with political ideas that the Government reject.

That's going down a very dark road, as I think most people were able to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Agree - caught the start today in the car and 'turned the dial', as Newstalk like to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He did break it down simply shes just too stuck in her bizarre insistence on trying to be the contrary opinion to everyone shes interviewing that even when its as basic as he put it she refuses to accept the facts.

See that NewsTalk have just announced that irish Times journalists are now barred from the station as a result of their interference in the Hook affair.
    Bet they weren't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yes, that was particularly brutal.

The criminology academic kept trying to explain why you can't feasibly police these videos, one of which he mentioned has 1.2 million hits; and CK just didn't get it.

Finally, she 'agreed to disagree' with the expert, and some texter explained to her what the expert had been saying all along, "if 100 people watch a video, and only 5 of them are terrorists, you can't go depriving the other 95 of their liberty" (or words to that effect), which she finally copped was a fair point.
    her whole justification for the legislation seemed to be that it was needed "to identify these jihadists", when even a tiny bit of critical thinking on her part would have established that the people who repeatedly watch these videos can be (and are being) monitored already without the legislation. this measure is about jailing people who watch the videos/material, not identifying them.

See that NewsTalk have just announced that irish Times journalists are now barred from the station as a result of their interference in the Hook affair.
    Bizarre.

This puts Newstalk at a clear disadvantage when it comes to breaking Irish news and investigative reporting when it is broken by the Irish Times.

As far as I know, The Irish Times is one of only two media outlets in the country with permanently-stationed foreign correspondents. The Independent doesn't have the same capacity to report on short-notice from international breaking news events, and how they might impact Ireland. Brexit, for example.

Having said that, I think a fair few Irish Times journalists may already be boycotting Newstalk/ Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sooo...

No more Gerry Thornley or Conor Pope?

Who else do they have from the IT?

Isn't this cutting off their nose to spite their face, ruling out contributors to their shows who haven't even commented on this whole fiasco?

Or is it, as suspected, another stage in this saga that keeps Newstalk in the national news?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Don't read newspapers so didn't realize Gerry Thornley was one of them. What will we do now for Monday / Wednesday night rugby on OTB?

In light of some posts that have appeared here in the past 24 hours, please see the updated warning in the first post of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Where'd you see that I can not find mention of it anywhere?

okay I found it. http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-irish-times-3631283-Oct2017/

So presumably then Newstalk will not allow IT journalists on to their shows until they fire Fintan O'Toole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Where'd you see that I can not find mention of it anywhere?

okay I found it. http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-irish-times-3631283-Oct2017/

So presumably then Newstalk will not allow IT journalists on to their shows until they fire Fintan O'Toole?

Well that's it. I'm done with Newstalk. Outrageous decision.

If it applies to all DOB outlets it could be the beginning of a war of attrition between Do'B and the IT to get O'Toole fired.
    I wouldn't say Fintan is used to being on the receiving end. It will come as a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

If it applies to all DOB outlets it could be the beginning of a war of attrition between Do'B and the IT to get O'Toole fired.
    I wouldn't say Fintan is used to being on the receiving end. It will come as a shock.

There's no mention anywhere of anyone wanting O'Toole fired. They asked for an apology and for the retraction of the column, The Irish Times refused. Communicorp could take the IT to court, but they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So no more dissenting voices allowed on Newstalk.

Gotta keep their fragile presenter's space safe, I guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

For all Newstalk Fans the current issue of Phoenix may be of interest: https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/denis-obrien-to-dump-newstalk/ it won't be missed - by me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

The doctor is too lightweight for this show and hasn't got a grasp of the topics she is discussing or the research team are bad. No more evident then when she keeps on saying "and all that kinda stuff", this really annoys me.

Could they not do us a favour and change the schedule to add 1 hour to the breakfast show (ideally without Williams) then have Pat on until 1.30?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness it's still only early days for CK.

Can she grow into the role I dunno, but it's a bit rash to judge her after only 2 or 3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement