Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Thank you for your reply as it appears you have done some research to help my understadning and that's appreciated

But

They should change to RTE Radio one format,it's much better than any of the other nonsense out there on the radio.

Why? That is not what they are, or should be, as a station. To move more to a Radio One format would not make sense whatsoever for them...Radio One already exists, Newstalk exists...both are talk driven stations with some magazine programming also. It would make no sense for Today FM, which has been a proven success since it launched (despite recent declines), to fundamentally change their entire operation. If Radio One is your preferred station perfect, but there needs to be some sort of choice on the national airwaves as opposed to poorer clones of Radio One everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Skiddylicker

IUA14 wrote: »
    Why? That is not what they are, or should be, as a station. To move more to a Radio One format would not make sense whatsoever for them...Radio One already exists, Newstalk exists...both are talk driven stations with some magazine programming also. It would make no sense for Today FM, which has been a proven success since it launched (despite recent declines), to fundamentally change their entire operation. If Radio One is your preferred station perfect, but there needs to be some sort of choice on the national airwaves as opposed to poorer clones of Radio One everywhere.

But it's awful nonsense that they play on that radio station. RTE is the only one with any decent content. They should try get a show similar to Mooneys, one of the best pieces of radio broadcasting out there but it seems a lot of people don't recognize it

But it's awful nonsense that they play on that radio station. RTE is the only one with any decent content. They should try get a show similar to Mooneys, one of the best pieces of radio broadcasting out there but it seems a lot of people don't recognize it

But that is your opinion, you don't like the station or the music/presenters, and thats fine. Others do though and there needs to be variety.

It's a shame what is considered variety is poisoning minds.

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's a shame what is considered variety is poisoning minds.
    791c84475b949b5f0076b0a9a51a8853cfcc8cd8f2bdb49dabb64c533c309e3a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

But what we would end up with is an even more incoherent mess of a station that is trying to be something it's not, would take years to find its feet and would always be in the shadows of RTE, why would that be good. Regardless of the quality of Today FM's output, at least it's different from the other national broadcasters.

That's great news!

That slot is my peak listening time and I enjoy the two lads so I'm happy out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Either Muireann gets a show or unfortunatly Louise Duffy moves back or even worse a Paula McSweeney day show

Either Muireann gets a show or unfortunatly Louise Duffy moves back or even worse a Paula McSweeney day show
    Louise will probably stay where she is, I reckon.

I don't mind Paula but she could do my head in if she was on every day and Muireann is too hyper for my liking so I'd be hoping for another choice for that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Yeh I think Paula will be moved to day time and maybe they will move Fergal Darcy to Lunch time and either Paula or Muireann to the afternoon slot.
    I am not looking forward to D&D for 3 hours in the morning. Are the trying to copy Nicky & Jenny on 2FM with the duo presenting the morning programme?
    TodayFM is getting very like 2FM...and I don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

According to the Independent website Dermot & Dave are taking over Anton's slot.

That's it. I'm out.

At the risk of abuse...I am quite happy with Today FM from 7am to 12pm now...and then again from 16:30 to 00:00...if they can play a bit more traditional Today FM music like they did over the Christmas period I would be delighted...interesting to see what happens lunchtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd always miss part of the Dermot and dave show because of lunch but this is great. They'd want a strong early afternoon presenter or there'll be a lot switching off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It's a good move from the point of view of keeping it light hearted after Dempsey.

It's a terrible move as I can't stand them and their brand of musical comedy and forced laughter.

The work radio has to find a new working channel asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hubstan

Keith McCormack's second nail in the Today Fm coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And I am out, that pair of apes laughing at each others 'antics' is f*cking insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

And I am out, that pair of apes laughing at each others 'antics' is f*cking insufferable.

Same, your username came to mind when I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

These two haven't exactly set the lunchtime ratings on fire to deserve a promotion have they? They have less listeners than Louise Duffy had when she did lunchtime briefly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I thought the 9 to 12 slot was suppose to be a show with a handful of guests being interviewed, throw in some songs, the show us now going to be completly different, I can not see them growing an audience in this time slot,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

The thing is tho that it just sort of evolved into that over time with Darcy, when Darcy started it was a light hearted program with 3 staff but over time it evolved into Joe Duffy lite covering cancer, death, suicide, road deaths etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In the interests of gender equality the lunchtime show will be presented by a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Awful news.

#bringbackanton

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I thought the 9 to 12 slot was suppose to be a show with a handful of guests being interviewed, throw in some songs, the show us now going to be completly different, I can not see them growing an audience in this time slot,

Since 1988 that slot on Irish radio has always been the Ryan Line slot, i.e Gerry Ryan came to that slot and started talking to housewives which evolved to what Darcy ended up doing.
    I know the Gay Byrne hour was on RTE 1 before then but Radio 2 was a music station and this was a new departure.

All Today FM are doing is breaking that link, 2FM already have done it with Jenny Green and the guy who I can't remember his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Love Dermot and Daves show will be very interesting to see how they get on. Hopefully Muireann gets the lunchtime gig, but if they overlook Paula McSweeney for it do you think she'll take the hint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I could see Ian being moved to where D'arcy/Savage was, move Dermot and Dave to Breakfast and put someone else in D&D spot....please get rid of Louise Duffy or at least let her have more leeway with musical selections as the musics getting dire on her show

doubt it. going by other stations i'd say Ian will be deemed OLD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

threein99 wrote: »
    Love Dermot and Daves show will be very interesting to see how they get on. Hopefully Muireann gets the lunchtime gig, but if they overlook Paula McSweeney for it do you think she'll take the hint ?

Kelly Anne Byrne with a pure music lunch time show perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Muireann O Connell has a nice way about her and I think she should get a more regular spot instead of just filling in and doing Christmas, Bank Holidays etc.

Today FM seems to be going the way in radio that a lot of news media have gone on-line - click bait type radio. Its on a 2FM type slippery slope IMO.

If I owned that Radio Station I think I'd be getting the MD in for a serious chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

heybaby wrote: »
    Kelly Anne Byrne with a pure music lunch time show perhaps

Her accent drives me up the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

threein99 wrote: »
    Her accent drives me up the wall

She has a fairly standard Dublin accent I thought, which wouldnt hurt in getting Dublin listeners where Today Fm have struggled in recent times.

Advertisement