Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

This post has been deleted.

Susan Keogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ye gods, where did they find that Trump supporting "journalist" tonight? While it's fair enough that they should have on people who support Trump, this guy sounded like he wasn't a friend of Mr Sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Ye gods, where did they find that Trump supporting "journalist" tonight? While it's fair enough that they should have on people who support Trump, this guy sounded like he wasn't a friend of Mr Sanity.

This like other shows can never find a decent balance, itvhas to be a extreme right or the lefty liberals who are overly PC, there's never some one with common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That guy was on before, Cal Thomas is usually doing that spot. But that lad was really off the wall yesterday, not a bit of reason. However I don't think you'd find too many reasoned and balanced people out there to defend Trump at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

michael walsh is his name. what a ****ér, just so aggressive and belligerent. cal thomas has a bit of charisma to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This like other shows can never find a decent balance, itvhas to be a extreme right or the lefty liberals who are overly PC, there's never some one with common sense

That is a very extreme statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Leo Varadkar

Would it help improve the last word if it was shortened ? Yoyo

Any time I hear Dr Ruairi Hanley on, it makes me wonder has Michael O'Leary diversified into making Gift Grub sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pete Ferguson

Lets be honest lads, Cooper and his silly voice are not going to break any new ground in Irish broadcasting, that show badly needs a 2017 version of Eamon Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

I think they should have gotten rid of Matt Cooper and kept Anton savage and moved him to drive time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I think they should have gotten rid of Matt Cooper and kept Anton savage and moved him to drive time

They didn't get rid of Anton Savage, he resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

They didn't get rid of Anton Savage, he resigned.

Lmfao

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to be an avid listener to TLW, but over recent months find myself flicking over to rte1 more and more.

The adverts and competitions on tlw are just annoying me so much now at this stage, endless.

Plus I think Matt is losing his touch a little. Getting stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NIMAN wrote: »
    Used to be an avid listener to TLW, but over recent months find myself flicking over to rte1 more and more.

The adverts and competitions on tlw are just annoying me so much now at this stage, endless.

Plus I think Matt is losing his touch a little. Getting stale.

The ludicrous transition year top of the hour news bulletin is far, far too long. Between it,the ads and traffic, NT and RTE usually have a post-news segment done by the time Matt gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The "traffic" is utterly pointless too. It's the same traffic "news" every god damn day! It's a very outdated concept imo, those AA road watch reports. Not to mention the grating accents on the guys who deliver it.

Anyone listening to this guy for the last 20 minutes? On a very personal and bitter tirade against.... you guessed it.... Donald Trump.

I think Matt is taking is the Trump obsession too far. He's like a dog with a bone! Isn't he supposed to be the host of this show, where the host generally tries to be impartial?

Totally agree with the AA Roadwatch, jez I hate those.

They are on far too often, and how do they manage to pick people who can't read a short piece without stumbling over the words all the time (I'm talking to you Arwyn Foley).

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to this guy for the last 20 minutes? On a very personal and bitter tirade against.... yuou guessed it.... Donald Trump.

I think Matt is taking is the Trump obsession too far. He's like a dog with a bone! Isn't he supposed to be the host of this show, where the host generally tries to be impartial?

There's a misconception out there that a host on independent radio has to be impartial.

And the simple fact is that the idiocy of the president of one of the world's superpowers is the biggest story in current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    Totally agree with the AA Roadwatch, jez I hate those.

They are on far too often, and how do they manage to pick people who can't read a short piece without stumbling over the words all the time (I'm talking to you Arwyn Foley).

You're talking to the wrong person. Arwyn is a male name.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You're talking to the wrong person. Arwyn is a male name.

That's excruciatingly pedantic.

• Advertisement

Anyone listening to this guy for the last 20 minutes? On a very personal and bitter tirade against.... you guessed it.... Donald Trump.

Direct response for complaints such as yours

https://twitter.com/TodayFM/status/898190457754267649

Fair play to Matt, donegal and Derry were devastated by worst rain and floods in 50 years, homes ruined, cars flooded, bridges and roads washed away, yet not a discussion about it today.

Now, if it had happened in Dublin or Cork

Whatever about his overbearing Trump obsession (we get it Matt - you really don't like him), some of his regular segments are just absolute dog sh1t lately.

On Wednesday evenings for example, what used to be a quick 5 minute slot talking about "what's on TV this week" has evolved in recent times to take up nearly a full hour! And it is utter trash. Two of the most irritating contributors imaginable (Patrick Freyne and Jennifer ?) giggling for 45 minutes about inane crap like "Love Island". If it was on Dermot and Dave you'd say it was juvenile crap.

I'm looking forward to Ivan Yates doing drive time on the other channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Whatever about his overbearing Trump obsession (we get it Matt - you really don't like him), some of his regular segments are just absolute dog sh1t lately.

On Wednesday evenings for example, what used to be a quick 5 minute slot talking about "what's on TV this week" has evolved in recent times to take up nearly a full hour! And it is utter trash. Two of the most irritating contributors imaginable (Patrick Freyne and Jennifer ?) giggling for 45 minutes about inane crap like "Love Island". If it was on Dermot and Dave you'd say it was juvenile crap.

I'm looking forward to Ivan Yates doing drive time on the other channel...

I still like most of Matt's contributors, but the TV slot is, by some stretch, the most annoying portion of the show. That Jennifer Gannon is some pain in the hole, a loudmouth who spouts whatever populist ****e happens to be part of the zeitgeist (let's all laugh at the Rose of Tralee, Love Island is great, etc, etc.) It's as if she takes a look at whatever is trending on Twitter to form her opinions on pop culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Started noticing months ago that Matt has gotten very PC and turned into a right easily offended little snowflake and took great personal offence that trump had been elected, he had a discussion earlier about a bank ad for mortgages and was nearly up in arms when one of the contributors suggested that people looking for a mortgage analyse their lifestyle choices and family situation and arent automatically entitled to a mortgage or dream home if they arent prepared to save for deposits

I only caught bits of TLW today and heard no section about the floods in the NW, so I just scanned through the podcast there, and still can't find any discussion.

Can anyone tell me if Matt Cooper had any discussion over the last 2 days about this disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just listened to the first half hour of the last word.

As usual on a Friday, Matt has a panel of people on discussing some topics of the week that may not have made the headlines.

This week it was journalists from the Times Ireland edition, the Journal and a guy from a website (cant remember its name). And of course we had Matt.

It was the definition of all that is bad about current journalism in this country. They picked a range of easy topics and generally frowned upon the subjects and there was not one disagreement or differing view. This kinda stuff is repeated day-in day-out and it really is getting so repetitive, boring and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

god they were insufferable. just a room of left-leaning journos all whining about the latest outrage and agreeing with each other. could they have picked a few lighter topics for the friday show? i think it was one topic in 20 mins that wasn't outrage fodder, the amazon lockers thing at the end.

at one point , one of the lads said we have laws to protect hate speech againt minorities like women! didn't know women were a minority. and it was a lad calling a woman he broke up with an ugly bítch, hardly hate speech

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought it used to be two people plus Matt and it was grand.

I'm not sure when it's moved to three but it's too many as there's very little conversation, and if there is it's between only two of them.

In short 3 plus Matt is way too many.

• Advertisement

I've always enjoyed The Last Word but in recent times Matt seems to have turned into something of a Social Justice Warrior. I can't put my finger on when it started to irritate me but it possibly may coincide with when he started that TV3 show. Hopefully that holiday he takes next week will chill him out a bit. I've always enjoyed that Friday evening panel but this evening the whole lot of them pissed me off and made me want to smack the heads off them. It's not that what they were saying was necessarily bad but the whole tone was what I have come to dislike on Irish radio.

Advertisement