Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

• 27-03-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Anyone else listen to Sean Moncrieff in the afternoons? I couldn't take anymore Joe Duffy, the misery was wearing me down. I'm not decided if I like Sean's programme or not, but it's a change from the unrelenting tales of woe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yeap gets some good topics on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Love it. Always interesting. Good regulars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

moncrieff's show is pretty good, some really interesting guests and topics and not the usual constant moan about de economeee, or dem politicians etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Brilliant show. Fantastic host too, completely selfless. Think the exact opposite of Ray Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Love his show. Listen to it as often as I can.

One thing though that winds me up and wrecks my head. Somebody pointed out something about him and it kinda took away from my enjoyment a bit .

Once seen, it can not be unseen.
    Jesus Christ he say eh, um , eh , eh um a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's a very good show and he's a top presenter.

If he wasn't on in the afternoon I'd just listen to some music instead. The thought of listening to the Joe Show or Mooney creates a strong sudden urge in me to start stabbing my ears with a fork repeatedly. The fact those shows are paid for by the license fee money is abhorrent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I love the Moncrieff show and have often found some interesting subject to look up online after hearing it discussed on the show. But as soon as Henry McKean comes on I tune out. What is the point of his segment? Is it some in-joke that I dont get? Is it perhaps a toilet break segment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Best radio presenter going, no question.

Movies and booze is the best bit, especially when it's live. Perfect for Friday afternoon, wrapping up work for the weekend!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The 'things to do tonight' was funny when he would only let the producer talk about his new quiz that starts tonight and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Dear Mods,

Any chance of making this the Moncrieff Show thread. Stuff about his show gets lost in the main Newstalk thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

I really enjoy him, I try to tune in whenever he's on.

While it is nice that he does some of the less serious topics, he's one of the few presenters I would enjoy doing something slightly more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I love the Moncrieff show and have often found some interesting subject to look up online after hearing it discussed on the show. But as soon as Henry McKean comes on I tune out. What is the point of his segment? Is it some in-joke that I dont get? Is it perhaps a toilet break segment?

Ya henry is the equivalent to RTE's Paddy O' Gorman....vox pops ...man amongst the people and all that lark. If he gets a good topic hes ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ya henry is the equivalent to RTE's Paddy O' Gorman....vox pops ...man amongst the people and all that lark. If he gets a good topic hes ok...

I cant remember ever enjoying a Henry segment. Movies and booze was brilliant today. It often descends into infectious giggles. The 'Whats on tonight' bit was good too with the Crossfire game show reccomendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Personally I find him grating on the ears, very reputicious and smarmy. His topics and interviews can be interesting but more times than not they are irrelevant and boring. The other day they were cooking and wine tasting on radio and that really sums it up.

There is an element of coolness in saying you like him as there was many years ago in saying you read the "Hot Press". His speaking voice is overrated and the constant Emm's and Ahh's are irritating once you get them in your ear like a worm.

He try's desperately to be funny and fails much of the time and the highlight of the show for me is telling us he's out of time and it's over, as very little of the show is relevant and of interest.

In saying all that he's not the worst out there and he seems to slip under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

JNLR ratings reckon he's pretty good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The other day they were cooking and wine tasting on radio and that really sums it up..

He's been having wine and beer tasting every Friday for years, so I'm not quite sure what's summed up?

We need more interviews with Shane McGowan, that was pant wettingly hilarious back when it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

SamAK wrote: »
    JNLR ratings reckon he's pretty good...

Although JNLR are the figures they all go by its hardly an accurate measure of popularity. A bunch of aulwuns calling to a small sample of people's doors. People who have no clue what they listened to that morning never mind yesterday afternoon.
    The sample size for Dublin for example is 2000 for a population of 1.5 million and divide that by 4 for each 3 month book, 500 people divided into the population = 3000 audience for every tick in a box. What nonsense!
    I think the yearly sample for Cork would be 500. I agree they all survive by the same inaccuracy and the overall result is possibly reasonable but individual show ratings are ridiculously inaccurate I imagine.
    Half the shows on RTE are outrageously high figures because RTE Radio 1 is the first station most of the older audience can remember. Realistically I'm sure the audience is spread out much more evenly amongst the independent sector.
    What happens if the questionnaire calls to 20 doors and nobody listens to 98fm (for example) so they have listeners but the next 4 doors could listen. There is 12,000 listeners gone from the results for 98fm. The samples are just too small to actually use as an accurate barometer of popularity for individual time slots.
    It's time to change the method of calculation as business depends on it and people lose jobs because of it.
    The point I was making is, just because Moncrief has a decent audience (not huge) doesn't actually mean he has that many listeners. He could be gaining from station recall. In other words no matter who is presenting the show, it would pick up a base audience based on the Newstalk brand. I would give him credit if he was way over that base. For example its clear Neil Prendville on 96 was doing well, Joe Duffy and a few others. I have never heard Moncrief on in a Taxi for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Moncrieff is a capable broadcaster but I don't particularly rate his show.

No doubt there is scope for an alternative viewpoint at that time of the day but his contributors are so far off the barometer that they cease to be interesting. I always get the impression that he is attempting to stretch a story that wasn't interesting to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Although JNLR are the figures they all go by its hardly an accurate measure of popularity. A bunch of aulwuns calling to a small sample of people's doors. People who have no clue what they listened to that morning never mind yesterday afternoon.
    The sample size for Dublin for example is 2000 for a population of 1.5 million and divide that by 4 for each 3 month book, 500 people divided into the population = 3000 audience for every tick in a box. What nonsense!
    I think the yearly sample for Cork would be 500. I agree they all survive by the same inaccuracy and the overall result is possibly reasonable but individual show ratings are ridiculously inaccurate I imagine.
    Half the shows on RTE are outrageously high figures because RTE Radio 1 is the first station most of the older audience can remember. Realistically I'm sure the audience is spread out much more evenly amongst the independent sector.
    What happens if the questionnaire calls to 20 doors and nobody listens to 98fm (for example) so they have listeners but the next 4 doors could listen. There is 12,000 listeners gone from the results for 98fm. The samples are just too small to actually use as an accurate barometer of popularity for individual time slots.
    It's time to change the method of calculation as business depends on it and people lose jobs because of it.
    The point I was making is, just because Moncrief has a decent audience (not huge) doesn't actually mean he has that many listeners. He could be gaining from station recall. In other words no matter who is presenting the show, it would pick up a base audience based on the Newstalk brand. I would give him credit if he was way over that base. For example its clear Neil Prendville on 96 was doing well, Joe Duffy and a few others. I have never heard Moncrief on in a Taxi for example.

I knew it was primitive, but didn't realise it was so much so. Are you sure the sample-size in Dublin for each book is only 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Although JNLR are the figures they all go by its hardly an accurate measure of popularity.

True, but until there's a big shift in the tech we use to consume radio (internet streaming for example), I don't think it's all that possible to get an accurate count..though I doubt FM is going to be phased out any time soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Enjoy the show for the most part, a good mix of guests and topics. Could take or leave the movies and booze slot.

Only slight issue would have is if someone texts/mails in an opinion that does not match Seans view on the topic on occasion he seems pretty intolerant of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's the obscurity of the topics that keeps me listening, and often no apparent connection between them. Listening to RTE is like Groundhog Day, same topics rehashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

By far the most enjoyable talk show on the radio.

They need to get rid of the parenting slot and the wine lady, and bring back that genius etymologist that they had on every week a few years, that chap knew every single word off the top of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Enjoy the show for the most part, a good mix of guests and topics. Could take or leave the movies and booze slot.

Only slight issue would have is if someone texts/mails in an opinion that does not match Seans view on the topic on occasion he seems pretty intolerant of it.

Well said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They need to get rid of the parenting slot and the wine lady, and bring back that genius etymologist that they had on every week a few years, that chap knew every single word off the top of his head.

Ah good ol, Terry Dolan. I used to love that slot too.
    He suffered a stroke just over six years ago which took him off the airwaves.
    He has appeared on the show since as a guest and seems to be in good form.
    It would be great to have him back if he was up to it.

I don't mind the wine lady (she knows her stuff) but I agree with everything else.

One little bugbear of mine about the show though is the amount of British and American guests plugging their latest book or website. There are days when it seems you could be listening to a UK radio station presented by an Irishman.

And that American woman with the shrill voice he has on every second day plugging her latest book always has me reaching for the dial. She must be the most prolific writer of books on the planet. Some people will have you believe it's a different woman every time but I'm not convinced. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I never registered how long Moncrieff's show is - three hours. I think that may be one of the longest non-music shows in the country! It's certainly the longest show across Radio 1 and Newstalk.

My own take: I think Moncrieff is a very good presenter and interviewer, but I can't take day-after-day of book-plugging foreigners invariably discussing inconsequential topics. I like the interchange he has with studio guests, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's the thing, it has something for everyone. I had no interest in the parenting slot, but now with 2 kids I enjoy it. Before the kids, I'd listen to the wine lady as we'd go through a few bottles a week, now is a different story.

Are you talking about Terry Dolan ? There's always a place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I really like his show, it gives people an opportunity to listen to a talk show that isn't politically based. It always has unusual stories or people on it, Stories that we wouldnt have otherwise hear. I reckon most people have their fair share of news and politics from other shows like morning ireland, pat kenny etc.
    Sean is an excellent interviewer in my opinion. If you listen to other interviewers they would seem like they have a list of questions and stick to them without listening to the answers. Sean converses with the person, like he is having a chat and he is very funny. The movies and booze slot i love as well as paulo.
    I reckon he wud be excellent as a presenter of the late late show.
    My fav show on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most of these texters he has a beef with tend to be dickheads anyway.

It's a great escape from the moany doom and gloom of current affairs and 'Talk to Joe' and 'Talk to Joe' imitators of other stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Most of these texters he has a beef with tend to be dickheads anyway.

But he doesn't seem to have any quality control with the texts, either that or he gets so few he feels obliged to read out most/all of them. Also he reads them all out in the same earnest tone, only seeming to realise as he finishes that some are idiotic or inconsequential. Still I suppose with three hours to fill he needs a bit of help from the listeners, even the more 'eccentric' ones...

Advertisement