Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Raising Your Spirited Child - Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

Licks of Love - John Updike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Hyperion.

and yes I would recommend.

+1
    Anything by Dan Simmons is good, I'v read most of his stuff ,loved Hyperion and The fall of Hyperion and am re-reading The rise of Endymion at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

steve9859 wrote: »
    My childhood reading was defined by Salems Lot, Christine. and Cujo. But the best of all was 'It'. A marathon at 1000 odd pages, but just the most brilliant and imaginative story I have ever read. Bar none. And I've reaf a lot! In fact, I think I am going to get onto Amazon and give it another go

Yep, IT is an amazing book! He is at his best when writing about day to day life from a children/teenagers perspective!

Think of the movie 'Stand by Me' which is an adaptation of his novella 'The Body'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Immediately ordered the second book on Book Depository, it was a great read. Can't believe I didn't know about it until now.

Until that arrives, I am reading For the love of Physics by Walter Lewin. A great read for anyone interested in physics. I'd also recommend you check out his physics lectures on MIT Open course ware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zc9Nuoe2Ow

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hyperion.

and yes I would recommend.

Ah that's a great book. You reading the Omnibus one with Fall of Hyperion included? I've read the first half of the follow up Endymion, it's really good too, still haven't gotten around to Rise of Endymion yet, might have to re-read Endymion first since it's been so long.
    Just finished A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Immediately ordered the second book on Book Depository, it was a great read. Can't believe I didn't know about it until now.

I think that will be my next book, I think I'll hold off on the 2nd one until after season 2 of the show comes out, don't want know what happens before hand!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Currently about halfway through Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. It's the second Rushdie book I bought (read The Satanic Verses last year) and I really like them both. Rushdie has a knack for excellent, if somewhat bizarre, storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

housetypeb wrote: »
    +1
    Anything by Dan Simmons is good, I'v read most of his stuff ,loved Hyperion and The fall of Hyperion and am re-reading The rise of Endymion at the moment.

Read Ilium and Olympos...great science fiction reads...mad stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Likewise, I bought the first 4 books after watching Game Of Thrones. Can't wait to start A Storm Of Swords as the story is getting better & better

Just finished A Clash of Kings mere moments ago, absolutely loved it, epic does not begin to describe this series.

I think I'll wait a while before I start on A Storm of Swords though, don't want to get through them too quickly and be faced with a horribly long wait for the next one after I finish A Dance with Dragons!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Re-reading the True Blood books ATM, I'm on book 9 - Dead And Gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm reading the third installment of the Warrior of Rome series which im really enjoying.

The main character is an Angle and his two companions are a Hibernian and a Caledonian. (An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman):D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I'm currently reading Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong. It's the 9th book in her Otherworld series.

It's one of my favourite series of all time and I would highly recommend it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

It's actually a great black comedy if you give it the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Read a couple lately that stood out - The Feather Merchants, by Max Schulman. Humourous satire.

Rich in Russia, John Updike. Brilliantly dry and witty.

Currently reading English Passengers, by Matthew Kneale. Not sure what to make of it just yet. Voluminous in content, 500 pages or so - I tend to try to keep it a little shorter than that (a lot shorter, in fact).

Some short stories on the bedside table by Alan Sillitoe. Some good stuff in there to pick and choose from. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning brought me to find out more about this fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

"Norwegian Wood" Haruki Murakami

(love this website by the way : http://www.randomhouse.com/features/murakami/site.php )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

''Depression and how to survive it'' by Prof.Anthony Clare and Spike Milligan.

Shrink recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

1984 George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

"The Philip K. Dick Collection", published by the Library of America. That's probably cheating, as it's 3 books in a hardback boxed set, encompassing 13 novels in all! It's very intriguing reading, though.

It isn't cheap, but the quality is truly excellent and sure to last. I hate when books fall apart after a couple readings: I do still love papery books as opposed to electronic ones, but I also love to leaf back and recheck things in a book again and again. Thin paper also means they aren't too massive, which I really like, as I like a book I can bring along and read anywhere.

And they do give a lot of widely-varied and thought-provoking reading. They fall into the science fiction genre, but like much of Asimov, they are more about social architecture and analysis of the human condition, although they go a lot deeper than Asimov into this study, and less into the science. (Me, I love both!)

Would highly recommend this set for anyone who has interest in both science and the human condition, and who doesn't mind a book being a little outdated sometimes in the interest of intriguing subject matter and a very different take on reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Interestin! Thanks for the tip, Ferretone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden it's about Pablo Escobar.

I'm nearly done reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes. There's probably less in the bible. Very good in places but the novels lack a bit compared to the brilliant short stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No Time To Say Goodbye --- Carla Fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

HazDanz wrote: »
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

It's actually a great black comedy if you give it the chance.

I'd agree, but some bits in it made me want to throw it out of my window.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Makes 'The Road' look like the Teddy Bears picnic.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah that's a great book. You reading the Omnibus one with Fall of Hyperion included? I've read the first half of the follow up Endymion, it's really good too, still haven't gotten around to Rise of Endymion yet, might have to re-read Endymion first since it's been so long.

Just reading the regular novel, half way through 'The Poet's Tale', I'd imagine I'll be reading the sequels at some stage though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

middlemarch, dance with dragons

keeping it down to 2 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Took a while to get into it but that is a common thing with SK as he likes to set up a lot of background and information. Recently finished his Dark Tower series and absolutely loved it, plus it has the best opening line in the history of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?

The best true crime book I read recently, and which kept me gripped from start to finish was 'Black Mass'. The story of the corrupt relationship between the Boston mob and an FBI agent. Very much back in the news now as Whitey Bulger was recently captured. And obviously it has the Irish connection. A really excellent read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

py2006 wrote: »
    and would ya recommend it?

I'm reading 'Full Dark, No Stars' by Stephen King!

Just started so can't really say I can recommend it just yet!

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!

I love Stephen King, although i haven't read any in a while, let us know what 'Full Dark, No Stars' is like when you get through. Love James Herbert too, Domain is best one of his i've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

The Help by Kathryn Stockett, only started it yesterday but think it's brill so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

Meant to say, all you guys reading Stephen King should read The Talisman by him and Peter Straub. Such a good book :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement