Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2019, 08:20   #3121
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
Good to learn, will take heed! So appreciate it Faith!
(I had no idea )
No problem! Other tell tale signs are shipping that takes more than 5 days. Even coming from the US, items will be with you in a week or so, generally speaking. Chinese knock-offs will have info under their “Delivery” section that may indicate time needed to “process” your order (I.e. make it to shoddy standards) and it’ll then take a long time to ship. You’ll often seem a quoted time frame of 10-30 working days.

How they generally work is they steal genuine pictures of clothing so it looks convincing. But then they just knock something together when you order it, using vastly inferior materials, that may or may not fit or even resemble the item you ordered.

The easiest rule of thumb is, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, read the delivery/return info pages and see if there’s a return address provided. Genuine retailers that sell at high volume and low price (e.g. boohoo, NastyGal) will have their address available. Knock off sites hide theirs to disguise the fact they’re in Hong Kong, so may only provide an email address.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-04-2019, 08:24   #3122
Deja Boo

Wow Faith, that really is something! (I am stunned!)

Excellent advice, thank you greatly!
(2) thanks from:
29-04-2019, 09:29   #3123
meeeeh

If it helps I got rid of most of this type advertising by clicking on the top right-hand corner and telling Google to stop showing me the ad from this type of websites. It's very easy to tell them apart, they more or less look the same, badly designed logo and ad, very skinny but proportionate models and extremely cheap prices. After blocking some of them I mostly just get the ads to the clothing websites I visit.
Thanks from:
29-04-2019, 10:10   #3124
Deja Boo

I do that clicky thing with ads I have no interest in, but the same ads come right back no matter which report I choose. But I shall keep trying, thanks!

and oh that is good to learn too - those ads from similar companies do look the same! I thought it was just a google ad format, but it can't be - ta (guess I have alot to learn!)
28-05-2019, 10:38   #3125
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
Anyone know what's happened with Vila? I noticed their shops in both Balbriggan and Liffey Valley have been closed for about two weeks now.
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 10:42   #3126
Sunny Dayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintarō Hattori View Post
Anyone know what's happened with Vila? I noticed their shops in both Balbriggan and Liffey Valley have been closed for about two weeks now.
Some of their stores have closed down. But not all of them.
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 14:46   #3127
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
I didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll ask here. I'm going to a good friend's wedding in the summer. It's outdoors (weather obliging!) so I want a dress that's summery but dressy. Is this dress too bridesmaid-y? I've completely fallen in love with it but I'm not sure if it's too much.

For reference, the actual bridesmaids are wearing full-length convertible dresses that are kind of pastel blues and purples, so the only commonality would be length.
07-06-2019, 20:14   #3128
dee_mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
I didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll ask here. I'm going to a good friend's wedding in the summer. It's outdoors (weather obliging!) so I want a dress that's summery but dressy. Is this dress too bridesmaid-y? I've completely fallen in love with it but I'm not sure if it's too much.

For reference, the actual bridesmaids are wearing full-length convertible dresses that are kind of pastel blues and purples, so the only commonality would be length.
So pretty! I wouldn't consider that too bridesmaidy at all, especially considering it's similar to the actual bridesmaid dresses in neither style nor colour.
I'd draw the line at carrying a bouquet though
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 21:07   #3129
SmallTeapot

Faith, that dress is gorgeous - very summery colour and not bridemaidsey at all.

My only fear would be the bardot, off-shoulder fit - would it keep slipping down or 'feel' like it's slipping down (given where the sleeves are positioned on the upper arms). Otherwise it is really stunning
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-06-2019, 11:53   #3130
Michellenman

Fab dress! Will look beautiful on you! Ditch the bouquet and you’re sorted
Thanks from:
08-06-2019, 14:26   #3131
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Thank you! I'll definitely leave out the bouquet .

While admiring it, I spotted this one as well, which hadn't come up on my search because my size was out of stock.

I'm a 12 and distinctly average height, but I thought I'd take a chance on ordering a 14 tall because it was massively discounted (£22.50, down from £75!). I figured at the very least it would give me a sense of fit and sizing before ordering a full price one. Also, I'm definitely closer to a 14 than a 10 at the moment and I have a long torso so dresses often don't hit my natural waist properly. It arrived this morning and it's actually perfect! It's a little big on the chest, but I can easily tape it to myself under the arms, or get it taken in a fraction. It does hit my natural waist perfectly, and it also looks close to full length on me. Finally, it beautifully covers my racerback tan lines that I'm developing from cycling to work .

The next question I have, though, is shoes. The dress lends itself to strappy sandals, but an outdoor wedding on grass requires something like a wedge. Has anyone seen anything that might work, or be able to visualise something I can look out for?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-06-08 at 14.16.22.png (270.4 KB, 121 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion