Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Max_Damage wrote:
    Anyone hear the drink driving ads on Today FM late at night, the ones where some guy at the end says "Don't be a fcuking eejit, don't drink and drive'? Came as a bit of a surprise to hear profanity on ads. Only in Ireland I guess....:rolleyes:
    Just heard that one. Strange to hear an ad with that language in it. It gets the message across well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Ford ad with that idiot counting from 5 backwards, 5,4,3,2,1......5,4,3,2,1,........AHHH, STFU!

One thing I notice is that car ads always seem to be the worst of the lot. Becasue of that ad, now I don't think I could ever buy a Ford!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Eddie Rockets ads.....we're going out tonight and we're going to have some fun.....edddiiiiieeeeee rockets......ASK ME BOLLIX.

Eddie rockets is famous for post beer munchies and fighting....certainly not somewhere you would plan to go sober :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

The new one for Hewlet Packard (HP) with the 2 men shi**ing on....

Sweet Jesus, it's like listening to a really bad play... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The advert for Shannon airport, it has some shank giving directions to these Europeans, I hate his voice, I hate his accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

sudzs wrote:
    The new one for Hewlet Packard (HP) with the 2 men shi**ing on....

Actually any radio ad thats done in the style of a young office clerk needing to make a play to the boss. The boss always sounds like a right cvnt, always calling the person by their surname. Really makes me fusking bash the steering wheel. I dunno if ad agencies are like that, I presume so, being creative types.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That bloody one where this eejit has run out of paintballs, and the bint with him tells him he should have gone to some paint shop. WTF???? THAT DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. Whomever thought of that ad, please remove yourself from the marketing workforce. It doesn't suit you.

And yes, those "holier-than-thou" TV licence ads annoy the p155 out of me.

And lastly the one for Kwik Fit(or something). "I need shocks, brake pads" etc "you got it".
    If I got a customer like that, I'd "fix" his brake line all right...mua haa haa haa

What about that poxy ad for diamond living (AKA furniture rip off retailer)? Some clown comes on and pretends to be the owner William Diamond and then claims they have best prices (what he fails to mention is every other poxy furniture shop in dublin also stocks the SAME gear and much the same prices) and then some orsehole mumbles some sort of jingle about diamond living towards the end. WTF? Are these ads designed on a budget of €50 around on a bar stoll at last knockings on a sat night?

"Who's got the tickles, oh, you've got the tickles."

The ad for the Nissan cars. That woman in the ad needs a good kickin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Funniest I think at the moment is the one for Rabo direct with the guy doing a racing commentery, "shouting on the radio , I'm a grown man shouting on the radio and my wife has left me for a man with a sensible job etc etc".

Worst is that one for channel 6 where some yuppie young wan witters on to her friend about how last year they didn't like boys and now they do etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the Irish TV licence ads...

where the man doesn't have TV licence and is supposed to be ashamed when his friends find out

in reality when his friends find out they'll be saying "I don't have a licence either, I never watch RTE"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I was ambushed by two ads for Thrush yesterday. When I heard, I switched immediately, only to be hit on another channel.

Mental scars won't go away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

6 1 7 9 9 5 0 ...AA direct to you, see I even know the fackin number, hate the poxy ad, but the number is forever chiseled ? into my brain..WTF ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

The ad for Some coffee cafe in Dublin, possibly Cruisers that used to air on Newstalk.
    "I feel like I am in Paris or New York but no im here in Dublin, just me and my cruisers coffee."
    If they are saying their Dublin cafes are so good then why does the bloke sounds ike he wants to be somewhere else!

"Real coffee, for real people in a real city" AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Why the feck do they say 'real people' what other types could there be.
    I could also add ditto "real coffee" and "real city".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

MarinoMark wrote:
    hate the poxy ad, but the number is forever chiseled ? into my brain..WTF ? :confused:

Then the ad worked, didn't it!

That one for the hotel that starts with "Why not stay in a real castle on the sky road..." and ends in "...and once again, the password is CHEEEEEERS!".

Actually, the passphrase is "How about not being such a tightwad and hiring a real actor?"

Oh by the way if anyone comes back and says that the ad worked well it didnt because im not sure that I correctly remember the name of the companny and if I do come across them in the future I will certainly never ever buy their poxy coffee because I hate that advert so much.

Tipperary Spring Water (An ad for office water coolers). They have attempted (in the worst way you could possibly imagine) a rip off of The Office and someone trying to pass off David Brent.

Focking awful. I mean possibly the worst radio ad I have EVER heard.

Obviously the people behind these ads dont road test them....grrrrr :mad:

Just when I thought it couldnt get any worse I heard the latest ad for the renault scenic tonight on the way home. Its a take off of Jose Mourinho and its utter shoite. They didnt even have the decency (or budget) to ask Mario Rosenstock to do the ad and they ended up with some piss poor gob****e trying to take him off.

ORSEHOLES.

People, if you cant do it right dont bother doing it at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sizzler wrote:
    Tipperary Spring Water (An ad for office water coolers). They have attempted (in the worst way you could possibly imagine) a rip off of The Office and someone trying to pass off David Brent.

Focking awful. I mean possibly the worst radio ad I have EVER heard.

Obviously the people behind these ads dont road test them....grrrrr :mad:

here here! they could have at least tried to make them funny:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

It's been off the air for a while but I only just joined.

That bloody Mutsubishi car ad with that lad with the, erm, "regional" accent.

"Irish people know the value of diamonds!!" he commands

"Please drive safely!!!" he shouts.

The funny thing was that the same guy then popped up doint the Concern (or was it Troicre?) ads about Huimie Louise, who has to get up at 5 am in the morning to dig for diamonds..... but that's ok, he drives a mitsubishi. Hime louise knows the value of diamonds, please drive safely!!!!

• Advertisement

It's been off the air for a while but I only just joined.

That bloody Mutsubishi car ad with that lad with the, erm, "regional" accent.

"Irish people know the value of diamonds!!" he commands

"Please drive safely!!!" he shouts.

The funny thing was that the same guy then popped up doint the Concern (or was it Troicre?) ads about Huimie Louise, who has to get up at 5 am in the morning to dig for diamonds..... but that's ok, he drives a mitsubishi. Hime louise knows the value of diamonds, please drive safely!!!!

Agreed thats pretty shoite to say the least!! Obviously no clout or originality left in the irish advertising industry if crap one liners such as these are the only things they can come up with!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sherlock wrote:
    Funniest I think at the moment is the one for Rabo direct with the guy doing a racing commentery, "shouting on the radio , I'm a grown man shouting on the radio and my wife has left me for a man with a sensible job etc etc".

Seconded. Best radio ad at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

MarinoMark wrote:
    6 1 7 9 9 5 0 ...AA direct to you, see I even know the fackin number, hate the poxy ad, but the number is forever chiseled ? into my brain..WTF ? :confused:

Ha!...I love that ad for some reason....always makes me laugh.
    My top hated one has to be that Irish Broadband one where the gimp has no lines for the ad, and you can actually here the saliva-related noises his mouth is making. Also why is he on every friggin ad!

And yer one who does the VIVAS health ad is on loads of ads too. She wrecks my head.

Other notables are the stupid Romeo and Juliet Chorus Digital ads and a Bewleys hotel one that used to be on Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Those bloody BUPA ads!! That guy, he has to be the biggest draw for VHI ever. "We're there when you're not?" Well, if they keep doing what they say they'll do with their court case they wont be bleedin here next year.

That one about the kids names............... oh jesus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

that one for mcDonalds is great...

HAVE YOU SEEN OUR TROLLEY?
    Why, Is there a baby in it?
    No....

funny.... hate those poxy mespil ones... 'ill come with you to get the turtle...
    you weren't invited.....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

That Barrys Tea Ad.....

You hear it at Christmas, it almost brings a tear to my eyes. Sixty seconds of advertising brilliance.
    You know the one where the fella is shopping for Christmas presents for his children and he hears the toot-toot of a toy train-set, and that brings him back to when as a child he woke up on Chrismas morning to the same toot-toot of a train-set and in great excitment ran down to tell his parents who were sitting with a pot of Barry's tea, "Mammy, Daddy, you'll never guess what Santa bought". "Well, doesn't that beat Banagher. Isn't Santa the smart one?" his father said.
    Anyway he brings the train-set home now for his own kids. "Argh, that's not what they wanted at all", his wife says. "Santa will bring them what they want", he replied, "this is from me. Put the kettle on".
    It's very sentimental, but it's a terrific ad all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Oh that barry's tea ad drives me mad every christmas.

I think the ad currently on for the Cat Laughs is actually really funny
    "So I sat at this round table, and it was the roundest table I ever did sit at. Guess who made it? Sir-Cumference... I'll get my cloak" :D

The Barrys Tea ads drive me fackin crazy. They rely on that same sentimental, syrupy, saccharine, rose tinted view of Irishness that probably only ever existed in the copyrighters wettest dreams.
    We are awash with sentimental adverts on the radio and I demand better, in fact im staging a personal boycott of any product that has sentimental adverts.
    Whats wrong with dressing Chimps up to sell tea for heavens sake?

For the public record I also really loathe blatant insincerity in adverts (which is a contradiction in terms..I know )but that Failte advert where the actress describes all the wonderful things that this land has to offer is fine until she hits you with that gut wrenching (but mildly arousing) tag-line:
    "Come on...lets play!!!"

It is at that point that I want to stick darts in my eyes I mean AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Is she coming on to me or is it just a tag-line?
    Maybe I should start my own thread on really annoying ad tag-lines. You know..."The better choice, experience the savings" or "every day should have its golden moments" or "Gateau, a slice of life"

Im an army of one and my war starts now!!! Are you with me????

PS I almost forgot. That advert for Supermacs where the girl described the "Moreish Macs" "Dreamy Ice cream" and "Fresh Cod" as though she is having an orgasm by just thinking of Supermacs food. I was once unfortunate enough to have no choice but use Supermacs and I can safely say without fear or favour that I would prefer to eat a tin of Whiskers than ever have to eat that s6it again. A clear case of false advertising. And I swear that their Cod is frozen not fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

I personally find those addendums to radio adverts which go at
    90km/per hour delivering some kind of nominal financial regulatory
    health warning really annoying. It is usually some annoying yappety
    suit/yuppie smoothie almost tripping over his/her words.

You get the smooth saccarine syrupy commercial
    about some financial product or other and then you get this
    obnoxious rushed D4 infoburst which more or less tells you to take
    the previous dose of BS with a pinch of salt since markets can
    rise & fall but at thre same time also trying to reassure you that
    the company who pitched the ad are fairly kosher and are
    regulated just in case you are worried the whole venture will
    go bellyup.

hate those ads with a passion !

• Advertisement

I hate any ad that has at the end 'regulated by the financal regulator'.

No-one cares.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement