Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BNC to Scart ? on Monitor for Supergun

• 23-07-2019 2:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I know nothing about monitors or cables really but I have one of these linked below. It’s got connections for security cameras on it. Does anyone know if I can get a connection to scart from the back of this for my supergun arcade thing ?

Or is it useless for this sort of setup ? I’m looking for something to test my arcade boards on and was hoping this would work.

https://www.barcodesinc.com/samsung/smc-150-152f-monitor.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Has it got BNC inputs for RGB and Sync?

If so you'll just need one of these and you're good to go

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks it doesn’t seem to have RGB like that as in the round things on the opposite end of the scart. Each camera has one of those IN , there is four of them, one for each camera. Then a Video in/out x2 I’ll post an image later but it sounds like it’s not gonna work.

Image attached. This is the back of it. I don’t think it’s looking good to be honest haha

better off with a small arcade monitor !

Master of the Universe

That monitor is BNC in alright, however it's composite only. You have one composite BNC cable per video line up to 4 inputs on the back of it.

All you have to do to get video on that is stick a BNC to RCA adapter on one of the inputs and run a composite video signal in via a regular RCA cable.

Like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121AV-BNC-Male-Plug-to-RCA-Phono-Female-Socket-Adaptor-Connector-for-CCTV-Camera/392165948730?hash=item5b4ee97d3a:m:m-8ixbYvQjiBRqtsmhbNgNw

It basically turns the BNC plug into a composite in plug like you'd see on the back of a regular TV.

I use one to run a Famicom into the composite in on a PVM. Works a treat.

Only problem though obviously is that the video signal is composite and not lovely RGB - might still be grand for testing boards though.

• Advertisement

Ok cool, can you get RCA to scart to go into the superguns scart connection ?

Master of the Universe

You can get scart to RCA cables. They're usually dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-Scart-to-RCA-Triple-3-x-Phono-Cable-Composite-Audio-Video-Lead-GOLD/372228290557?epid=16015256667&hash=item56aa88f7fd:g:PVYAAOSwjrZdIx7W

What kind of supergun is it?

That might be a simple solution, just buy that cable and run the yellow RCA cable into that RCA to BNC adapter.

Ah grand so that will go straight into it ? I have a bag of connectors that look like the ones you linked in the other post. I probably have one of those cables there in a box somewhere.so just one of the three cables is Video and that connects in to one of the camera inputs on the back. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't think this will work, its composite only and the vast majority of superguns are RGB out. You're probably better off with a 14" TV if its only for testing and messing about.

Doh, I have a small tv at the minute but I find some of the games scroll the image on screen and I don’t know if it’s the tv. I should really try one In a cab and see if it scrolls!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've definitely gotten composite out of a vogatek supergun before. Just did a bit of a Google and the mark II and V models support it alright. Although it looks to come out of an RCA jack on the board.

Probably better to just go for a cheap consumer set alright as mentioned above, sure you could have proper RGB then too and it'd be cheap as chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've definitely gotten composite out of a vogatek supergun before. Just did a bit of a Google and the mark II and V models support it alright. Although it looks to come out of an RCA jack on the board.

Probably better to just go for a cheap consumer set alright as mentioned above, sure you could have proper RGB then too and it'd be cheap as chips!

Ya some do composite but they're crap, barely useable for just testing purposes.

Advertisement