Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worried I won't be able to sell

• 23-07-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Have Just put my house on the market.. Next door is vacant and has been/ will be indefinitely. It is obviously vacant to anyone viewing.I contacted the owners to clean it up and to be fair, they did. But it will need an ongoing basic maintenance job - keep the grass cut etc.

Estate agent has said it's the biggest issue affecting my house. It has a large driveway at the front and the neighbour is using it to park his 30 seater bus. One viewer commented that she didn't like the look of this big bus parked up next door. I can't really do anything about that but it's another factor. I can't help worrying now that it won't sell. I know you can never predict what happens to the house nextdoor but the issue is there now. I'm already getting my head around having to rent it out again in a few months if it doesn't sell cos I can't afford to leave it vacant for too long. It's stressful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

It sounds like you might be on good terms with your neighbour so maybe try and use that to your advantage by contacting them again and offering to cut their lawn yourself and keep things in check until you sell your house?

With regards the bus, maybe you could ask them if you could move it elsewhere for a couple of months? Have somewhere in mind/arranged before you ask as they are more likely say yes if you catch them on the hop.. A friends farm or someone with a large yard might be an idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's a tough one. Having a bus next door would certainly put me off buying there. I would hate to have to cut their lawn as well. However if as previous poster suggested get he bus removed for viewing times? Even pay the neighbour to do so? It might be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm pretty sure the parking of commercial vehicles at a residential premises is prohibited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

homer911 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the parking of commercial vehicles at a residential premises is prohibited

Even if it is true, if you go down this route, the owner might dig his heels in and refuse.

I think what another poster is the best course of action.
    - offer to maintain the garden
    - offer to pay let’s say 50 a week if he could move the bus even a block away during viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

2 months plus in and virtually no interest. Less than 10 viewings in first 2-3;weeks then nothing. One " offer" who has seemingly disappeared because they are still shopping around. House empty and I'm not thrilled about the prospect of leaving it vacant over the winter. Next week makes it 10 weeks. I'd it time to draw a line under it and get it back on the rental market? I'll be gutted cos I really wanted to sell to buy and was delighted to get out of the landlord game as an accidental landlord in the first place. I decided to sell on the back of a valuation last year and advice that the house would be snapped up! Eh....right. Even the EA seems less than enthused and I get the feeling she has no hope for it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Cat_M wrote: »
    2 months plus in and virtually no interest. Less than 10 viewings in first 2-3;weeks then nothing. One " offer" who has seemingly disappeared because they are still shopping around. House empty and I'm not thrilled about the prospect of leaving it vacant over the winter. Next week makes it 10 weeks. I'd it time to draw a line under it and get it back on the rental market? I'll be gutted cos I really wanted to sell to buy and was delighted to get out of the landlord game as an accidental landlord in the first place. I decided to sell on the back of a valuation last year and advice that the house would be snapped up! Eh....right. Even the EA seems less than enthused and I get the feeling she has no hope for it either.

I would contact the local garda, i dont think your legally allowed to park commercial bus in a drive way in a housing estate.

Contact your local councillor, contact the seller, make a nuisance of yourself, do you have a resident's committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I would contact the local garda, i dont think your legally allowed to park commercial bus in a drive way in a housing estate.

Contact your local councillor, contact the seller, make a nuisance of yourself, do you have a resident's committee.

Don’t think there is any law against it, particularly if the bus is parked on private property.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/concern-at-overnight-parking-of-heavy-lorries-in-residential-areas-27520304.html

Op, if your house is in an area where houses were selling well, and you want to get rid of it, maybe you need to look at the asking price, it may be too high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What difference would a bus make over a car or work van?

A minibus isn’t the reason your property isn’t getting any interest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Always wary when an estate agent starts making excuses. Get a second opinion on price. Are you happyvwith how it's being advertised?

And don't call the police. Most bizarre recommendation I have heard in a while.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    A minibus isn’t the reason your property isn’t getting any interest

It's a 38 seater. And I'm not saying it's the bus but it can't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Have you a link to your ad? I just don't agree that a bus and a vacant neighbour is all there is to this.
    Everything sells for the right price, there is a huge shortage in the market. Even to housing charities and councils. I'd hazard a guess it's overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The market is down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Less than 10 viewings = problem with the marketing/price/location.
    People aren't coming to see it, they're not being put off by the state of the neighbours garden if they're not even seeing the property.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have you considered a different estate agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Look at the contract you have with the agent what's your get out costs?

as noted is in in the correct price bracket to sell for the area and for what people are getting? If you are overpriced you will never get people in the door.

What's the competition in the area looking like in the property sites?

Have you gotten a friend to do a test run on the property if they email or call interested what's the response ?

What's the advertising of it like on the internet and in their shop window?
    Can they give you any stats on the number of clicks on your ad v other ads?

As for the ad itself
    Is it coming up in the correct searches for location, number of bedroom or bathrooms etc?

Are the pictures in a logical order
    Street view, hall, kitchen, ground floor rooms, bathroom bedrooms and garden
    And the minimum (none) number of "arty feature" pics of the local train station or village signs.
    Is there a Floor map

Did you stage the house and did pictures of the furniture and walls say sad ex rental or happy future family home.

Do the pics say move in ready or new kitchen and bathroom needed?
    Again that a price issue if I am pulling out the bathroom and kitchen, that €€€ off the sale price.

What's the blurb like is it correct and following the logic of the pictures.
    Is it outlining schools shops public transport links etc?

How about the mapping on google street view take an electronic tour of the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Hi Cat

I see from a previous thread that you had the house valued by 2 estate agents, who were vastly different in valuation. I am wondering that perhaps if you went with the higher one maybe it is overpriced. Also if it is an ex rental property is the interior/exterior in good shape (I read that you repainted the inside, but what about the outside appearance) , you mentioned that the fascia needed repair... hope you have some luck selling it.

Hi Cat

I see from a previous thread that you had the house valued by 2 estate agents, who were vastly different in valuation. I am wondering that perhaps if you went with the higher one maybe it is overpriced. Also if it is an ex rental property is the interior/exterior in good shape (I read that you repainted the inside, but what about the outside appearance) , you mentioned that the fascia needed repair... hope you have some luck selling it.

I actually went with the lower valuation. Yes it is an ex rental but was advised to NOT spend money on it as it would be a waste. Yes the fascia and soffit needs to be replaced but EA said that would be factored into the price as would the out of date kitchen. For what it's worth the one "offer" if true was below asking but I was prepared to accept it. But then they've gone AWOL or bidding on other houses.

It was painted throughout inside and outside and I got professional cleaners in.

Would it be an idea to get another EA opinion even though it's on the market or is that a stupid idea? I was considering ringing up another one or 2 agencies to discuss "considering putting my house up for sale in that area" to see what they'd ballpark it at now.

As a 4 bed it is one of 12 approximately in the similar price bracket for the area and they're all roughly valued the same. Give or take 5 grand and EA says that houses are going for below asking so that's not actually reflecting the value. Which sounds a bit mad. So I'm thinking if I reduce my price I'm actually reducing it even further again.

Have you a link to the advent?Even by PM if you want an outside opinion of it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Is there much new development in the area? Keep in mind first time buyers will have 20k extra to spend on a new build and not on yours.

Unfortunately landlords dont see value in the market at the moment so that's them out too (as you know)

Estate agents will tell you things have slowed down a fair bit this year - they didn't get the usual jump in activity in September either.

If your advert is good, the house is tidy, and the estate agent is being proactive - then its priced too high.

• Advertisement

bluelamp wrote: »
    Is there much new development in the area? Keep in mind first time buyers will have 20k extra to spend on a new build and not on yours.

Unfortunately landlords dont see value in the market at the moment so that's them out too (as you know)

Estate agents will tell you things have slowed down a fair bit this year - they didn't get the usual jump in activity in September either.

If your advert is good, the house is tidy, and the estate agent is being proactive - then its priced too high.

There's a heap of new development unfortunately. And more to come. Maybe that's alot of it but some of the new 3 beds starts at 55K more than my 4 bed and they seem to come with post stamp gardens. My old tenant bought one and he had to leave the swing set behind because he didn't have the space for it
    You could do a lot with 50K plus to my house. But that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I know you put it up a few months ago however we put up a 2 bed apartment, 20 mins from Dublin city centre, always owner occupied so no rent cap, new windows fitted last year, priced to sell in early 200s with the estate agent calculating 10% yield for landlords based on rental values in the estate. Estate agent was confident it'd fly, but it seems that the whole market has slowed right down.

In our case we'll just take it off the market, in your case I'd put it for rent again if you don't want it sitting empty as things seem to be slowing to a pause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Having read the thread did OP take advice of previous posters and come to arrangement with Neighbour for upkeep and removal of 38 seater bus that was putting potential buyers off?

If you’ve done all you could to market the property by dealing with above and fixing the facade and staging the property and you’re not prepared to sell at a discount then you relet. Sales have slowed but the rental market has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

homer911 wrote: »
    No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

There's a heap of new development unfortunately. And more to come. Maybe that's alot of it but some of the new 3 beds starts at 55K more than my 4 bed and they seem to come with post stamp gardens. My old tenant bought one and he had to leave the swing set behind because he didn't have the space for it
    You could do a lot with 50K plus to my house. But that's me.

Ok if the tenant bough a new one why did be go for them rather than the 12 other 4 beds or your gaff as they have an extra bedroom and a bigger garden ?

What did he think he would have paid for your house.

Why are the new builds selling and the old stock are not?
    What's your BER, how old are the windows the doors the heating system etc

Look at the 12 other properties and ranking yours 1 to 13 where do you fall when it comes to the ads?

You can do a lot with 50k but a lot of people won't see that.

Now look at the lifestyle that the new builds are selling can you replicate this style in your property?

Can you make cheap simple changes to make the house look more attractive? things like painting the kitchen door fronts and changing the handles,
    Having the china on the dining table, having the big headboards and a well dressed beds this is what people are looking at in the show houses

I googled house staging and got these people so have a look at what lifestyle they are selling

http://www.fitout-interiors.ie/property-staging.php

The garden is a big selling point is there a patio set with umbrella and BBQ nice flowers and a grass area around the swing
    Etc etc
    Would swapping out your sofa or chairs for a month make it sell faster?
    Beg and borrow some of the staging bits if you need to
    Hang out in the charity shops to get bits

And I would look at getting some garden pots and even curtains for next door for the outside pictures (without the bus too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Is it priced correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

limnam wrote: »
    Is it priced correctly?

+1 , the market hit its 'central bank wall' in dublin in october last year, since then asking prices have gone up but theyre not making that money. I'd price the property as to what it would have been late last year versus what those hoping to get blood from a stone have been pricing them at this year.

Having read the thread did OP take advice of previous posters and come to arrangement with Neighbour for upkeep and removal of 38 seater bus that was putting potential buyers off?

If you’ve done all you could to market the property by dealing with above and fixing the facade and staging the property and you’re not prepared to sell at a discount then you relet. Sales have slowed but the rental market has not.

1. Bus. Neighbour agreed to move bus when viewings due. Other than that his driver lives nearby so it suits them to leave bus there. Not much else I can do.
    2. Other property. Got onto absent landlord who did tidy it up. It does need another go around the back so I'm bracing for that request but hopefully twice in almost 3 months isn't too much to ask.
    3. Facade will cost 1.5K. I'd really like to know if that would do the trick. Not convinced. However, if I'm stuck with this house indefinitely I probably will as it needs to be done.

ATM I'm looking at a loss of 35K based on being prepared to accept the alleged offer that may not exist. Was prepared to live with that but would be v sad to take much more of a hit. However, am ill at the prospect of re letting and waiting indefinitely for the equity I was hoping for to buy. My husband and I really want to buy our own home here but maybe we'll have to wait another while.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have you considered a different estate agent?

I'd have to read through the contract but maybe.

• Advertisement

I'd have to read through the contract but maybe.

Have you a link to the current advert?

Advertisement