Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't played in 10 years. Playing in 5 weeks.

• 23-07-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

Haven't played in probably 10 years. Just told I have to play in a work sponsored event in about 5 weeks.

Any chance I will not make a fool of myself?

Used to play regularly, got to 14 handicap (20 years ago). Reasonably fit (ish)

Any tips?

Will driving range practice suffice??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You’ll probably thin a few shots and scuttle irons along the ground, suppose range would do no harm, my advice would be to not try and hit the ball hard and just enjoy it, you’ll probably play a few good shots and get a nice long putt so prepare to be re-hooked!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turn up with a hand in plaster and mumble something about a door. Easy to do - some bandage and some plaster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Darc19 wrote: »
    Haven't played in probably 10 years. Just told I have to play in a work sponsored event in about 5 weeks.

Any chance I will not make a fool of myself?

Used to play regularly, got to 14 handicap (20 years ago). Reasonably fit (ish)

Any tips?

Will driving range practice suffice??
    Yeah hit the range, maybe a few times. It's that muscle memory thing you're trying to shake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

slave1 wrote: »
    You’ll probably thin a few shots and scuttle irons along the ground, suppose range would do no harm, my advice would be to not try and hit the ball hard and just enjoy it, you’ll probably play a few good shots and get a nice long putt so prepare to be re-hooked!!!

Thanks - have more time available now, so might use it as an opportunity. :)

Was a member of the old tulfarris club (9 hole) and played weekly, so the spark may reignite.

Turn up with a hand in plaster and mumble something about a door. Easy to do - some bandage and some plaster :)

Not a chance in hell of getting away with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

You'll be fine. Agree with others, driving range and a bit of putting practice would do no harm . When I'm in that situation of a Long layoff, I practice hitting a controlled shorter swing drive, because if I hit the fairway on the first few holes, it settles me down and I start to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Driving range as much as possible. Start out with an eight iron and then progress each way as you get more comfortable.
    Don't forget to practice those short shots too.
    Turn up before everybody else on the day and practice putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Hey!

I was in a similar situation to you about 6 weeks ago.

Hit the range. Then get a lesson. Then hit the range again (You should be learning how far you can hit the ball with each club, write it down).

Then hit the course.

Rinse and repeat.

If you can run that cycle at least twice before you play that event you wont be duffing too many balls.

One thing Ive found extremely helpful is my phone.

Download the SwingU app and using it for your round. I CANNOT judge distance by looking at the target. The SwingU app will show you on a satellite image your distance to the middle, front and back of the green. I played one round without it just too see if I could manage and it was a disaster. If you know your distances (learned on the range) and you know how far to target. Then you just pick the appropriate club and all you have to worry about is your swing.

Also, practising your putting is free. Your putter is bout 3 foot long. Circle a hole with balls from 3 foot and just keep on rattling them until you very rarely miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Last year I played my first round in about 8 years, there were shanks, duffed pitches, 4 putts...all the stuff I expected really :D

I had gone to the driving range a couple of times before that, but the best practice for me was getting out on the course tbh. I played another round a few weeks later and was hugely improved. Just in my own experience I needed that first round of shaking off cobwebs before playing a "proper" round if that make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I have two stories of this - first was years ago, I met a friend who I used to play golf with growing up. He hadn't played in years but we said we'd have a game the next day. I couldn't wait as I could never beat that guy. And I was surely going to do it now. Alas no, we played 11 holes and he had 8 pars, 2 bogies and a scratch. At least he didn't know I was on competition with him.

2. I hadn't played in 4 years and played 9 holes last year in deer park in howth. With my future father and brother in laws. Beautiful day, easiest course you can imagine, I got away with everything. Still had 6 pars in 9 holes though.

I'm just starting to play again now, 2 rounds played this year and I haven't been terrible. Probably low 20s for points, some shocking putting has been the worst of it. But I'd say if you had a swing it probably hasn't deserted you nearly as much as you might think. I'd say go out and enjoy yourself and don't stress too much about preparing for it. That might put the pressure on and run you to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you're worried about making a fool of yourself you shouldn't play golf ;-)

blackbox wrote: »
    If you're worried about making a fool of yourself you shouldn't play golf ;-)

Thanks everyone for the replies, certainly hope for a reasonable showing.

Certainly not worried about making a fool of myself, but representing a company, so have to make an effort.

I'll report back in five weeks. Range it is tomorrow. Putting was always good, so hopefully some pitch and putt will awaken that.

Thanks

Update...

Realized I was working 5 minutes from a range, putting green and pitch n putt center - red lane between Naas / Newbridge

Have been there four times now. Fabulous setup.

I have a feeling the golf bug is going to get me. Thoroughly enjoyed the range and a lot of the old knowledge came back.

I have a king cobra 3 wood (20 years old) - it was always my favorite club and was hitting the 160m mound with ease. Great feeling.

I may yet end up joining a club.

BTW - if I hit a 7 iron 100 meters with a range ball, what could I expect with a semi decent golf ball on a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Darc19 wrote: »
    Update...

Realized I was working 5 minutes from a range, putting green and pitch n putt center - red lane between Naas / Newbridge

Have been there four times now. Fabulous setup.

I have a feeling the golf bug is going to get me. Thoroughly enjoyed the range and a lot of the old knowledge came back.

I have a king cobra 3 wood (20 years old) - it was always my favorite club and was hitting the 160m mound with ease. Great feeling.

I may yet end up joining a club.

BTW - if I hit a 7 iron 100 meters with a range ball, what could I expect with a semi decent golf ball on a course?

In the Spawell range, they have top tracer. You can set it to driving range mode to look at distances. The system adds 10% to the distance hit for conversions.

I doubt its consistently accurate due to the quality of the balls, but at least gives you a reasonable estimate

Advertisement