Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Summer 99 Charity Cycle For Tallaght Hospital

• 18-04-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, all. I was thinking of registering for the Summer 99 Charity Cycle in aid of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in Tallaght Hospital. I just have a few questions...

I own a Echelon Butler (racer bike). I wouldn't say I'm a brilliant cyclist.....The longest and hardest cycle route I take is: Sallynoggin-Dún Laoghaire (via the Noggin Hill)-Sandycove-Dalkey (via Bulloch Harbour)-Killiney Hill Roundabout (via Vico Rd.)-Sallynoggin. So my first questions is......would I actually be up for the cycle?

There are two routes. One is 40km (map of the route: https://goo.gl/maps/imVHRP8rbjJ2) and the other is 99km (map of the route: https://goo.gl/maps/C61b3nkSffy). To be honest, I can't see myself doing the 99km route nor even the 40km one.

According to the website (www.iregister.ie/v2/events/summer-99-charity-cycle-2017/) the event is on Saturday the 17th of June. It says: The event is from 9am-7pm. Registeration start time is 8am. So basically: does that mean I have to be there at 8am to register even after I've done so on their website? Also, the website says that both routes will start at 9am. Does that mean I can arrive at the finishing line anytime before 7pm? If that's the case I'll do the 99km route. I'd say then I'd get the 99km route finished in no more than 7hrs (incl. water breaks). (Obviously I will be doing a lot of training if I'm going to do a 99km cycle!).

Any response is very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Both those routes are not suitable for beginners as they have very steep climbs , very poor organisational choice ,would put lots of people off cycling for life.

however the 40 k route you could walk 4 km of the ballinascorny climb and the rest is handy

Route flyer map below as google map links not working \/

https://www.iregister.ie/v2/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/C5-Route-Flyer-99k-2017-V3-09032017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

I'm doing it as I work there but there will be more than a few novice cyclists doing it. If you think you can get out for a few cycles between now and then I'd say go for the 99km. There will be a mix of abilities and people of all shapes and sizes.
    If you turn up at 8 to register there will be free breakfast and a pep talk to get you ready and you will have a chance to chat to a few people before starting. You'll surprise yourself and even the slower groups will take less than 6 hours so don't worry about it, get in some cycles at the weekends and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

40Km route would be more than doable. Pace yourself up the N81 climb and after that you should be plain sailing. Small little bump to get over prior to dipping down in to Ballinascorney.

Might see if I can stick the 99Km route in the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I'm with Bigus on this, that Ballinascorny climb is not easy and the mount seskin road descent is brilliant /sketchy so I hope your marshals know what they are doing if you are encouraging beginners.

Absolute brilliant routes all the same

Edit :Py are you looking at the same direction as I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did this event (99km plus getting there from my house) last year. It was a fantastic day out. Well organised with Garda outriders, a decent food stop in Blessington and great grub at the finish in Tallaght Hospital with bottles of beer - yep, beer in a hospital. The route was from Tallaght over Ballysmuttan, Blessington Lakes, Naas, Clane, Ardclough and back to Tallaght. Ballysmuttan was the toughest climb.

However, this year the 99 route is a lot, lot tougher - Wicklow Gap followed by Sally Gap from Laragh. I'm a slow climber so I'd spend most of the route on my own which has me thinking that maybe I'd be better off doing it myself on a random weekend rather than signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Registeration start time is 8am. So basically: does that mean I have to be there at 8am to register even after I've done so on their website?
    When you register online for an event you usually also have to sign on on the day (and show your CI licence if applicable). Just like booking a flight online, some people who book don't turn up on the day so the organisers need to know who they have. You will usually be provided with emergency contact numbers for medical or mechanicals and a route map. You don't have to arrive until nearer the start time but sometimes queues form at the bigger sportives.

....Also, the website says that both routes will start at 9am. Does that mean I can arrive at the finishing line anytime before 7pm? .....
    Yes of course. 7pm just means that it will be the cut off time for support such as marshals, mechanical, medical help and other volunteers. The vast majority will finish a few hours before the cut off time with the strong riders getting back before 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Checked the route again, I'm glad that there's a Cunard descent as opposed to ascent on the 99Km route. Avoids lower Cunard which I wouldn't really like to descend but will have to check out the upper Cunard ascent/descent soon.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    which has me thinking that maybe I'd be better off doing it myself on a random weekend rather than signing up.

Most of the sportives I participate in tend to be Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare based (joys of a 1 car family), so I could easily go do them on my own while probably dropping 20 euro+ in cafe/shop stops along the way. If that 20 euro+ (sometimes events charge more) can go help a school, Down Syndrome Ireland or local community organisation then I'm more than happy to help out in return for a home made sandwich and cup of tea (if anything at all)... more than likely they'll provide more than that. You can be sure there will be more people on the day that will be in the same boat as you struggling with the climbs or even the flats but you'll meet some great people along the way who will keep your mind off the burning legs and lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Keep scrolling down (the site is dire tbh)

EDIT: replying to a deleted post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ED E wrote: »

Sorry - the event page hadn't fully loaded for me first time and deleted my post once I found it.

I'd be interested in this - any others on here thinking of doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

A very worthy cause might be worth starting a stand alone thread for the 2019 event...

Im sure TUH would love a purpose built site to your liking but I would imagine the intention is to raise much needed funds for the oncology department.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

I'm not part of the organising committee, just somebody who works in the support services.

I do know that the fundraising in this particular case always goes to directly benefit patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im sure TUH would love a purpose built site to your liking but I would imagine the intention is to raise much needed funds for the oncology department.

I know one of the organizers, not having a go at them. Just anything that inhibits signups isnt good for them.

Eventbrite works.

I know one of the organizers, not having a go at them. Just anything that inhibits signups isnt good for them.

Eventbrite works.

All the more reason to volunteer your services FOC and help out maybe if you know so much. ;)

(Its possible the person left in charge of the web end for TUH might not have a clue about eventbrite and its workings)
    No doubt eventbrite charge a fee as well so possibly why they put in on their own website? Im clueless myself so no use to them!

Advertisement