Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

All over the place with this one again. The sort of cross communication you would expect in Fawlty Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

All over the place with this one again. The sort of cross communication you would expect in Fawlty Towers.

Exactly how I'd describe it. ! It's like a rudderless yacht

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Who is this woman? Tubbs is really revelling in the toxic male father.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

sligojoek wrote: »
    Who is this woman? Tubbs is really revelling in the toxic male father.

Captain Janeway. Star Trek Voyager.

She would be some dose with a bottle of brandy in her. :(

She's fond of her own voice.

She's the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Producers writing the texts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Setting up a date now !

Vomit inducing,self-lauding,egocentric Kennedyphile sycophants.

They have so much in common.
    No wonder Tubbs and the good captain are back slapping each other so hard.

Boldly going where no other brown noser has gone before. :(

And get in that ad - break before the end!!

And get in that ad - break before the end!!

Dolla dolla bills to pad Tubbs fat pay packet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Uncharted wrote: »
    Tubbs is about to spontaneously combust with the Kennedy reference.

:rolleyes:

Laughing in agreement here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Off on his holliers now, would Ryan think of an extended break I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Uncharted wrote: »
    She's fond of her own voice.

She's the only one.

I was looking forward to that interview. I was disappointed. Mostly because Tubbs couldnt interview a paper bag and also because Mulgrew really did like to answer questions like she was telling a story and over pronounce everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

As he's closing the show he casually throws in

"i'll speak to you again in TWO WEEKS"

How many holidays has this lad been on this year?

Some neck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

As he's closing the show he casually throws in

"i'll speak to you again in TWO WEEKS"

How many holidays has this lad been on this year?

Some neck

Is it not getting a bit stale this whole bashing RTE (our license paid) presenters for taking holidays? From what I understand, Tubs is contract staff so I imagine that his contract would include how much annual leave he can have or how they pay him based on the shows he presents etc. or deduct payment if he doesn't present them all - therefore he is entitled (like us all) to his holidays?
    And as I think he may be self-employed, (correct me if I am wrong), he doesn't get paid for his holidays? So whether he takes 20 weeks or 2 weeks, I am not sure why it angers people on Boards. I've seen it also for Today FM presenters also.
    Yes it may seem to some of us that some radio presenters have more holidays than us or than others but so what? is that not between them and their employer? I just don't get the outrage that is not just on Tubs thread but others where people are disgusted at presenters taking holidays.

Or am I reading this outrage wrong?

robo wrote: »
    Is it not getting a bit stale this whole bashing RTE (our license paid) presenters for taking holidays?.....?

Nah, it's not. It's great craic.

Edit: actually now that you mention it maybe we should bash RTE for this indirect contract system where he's not technically employed by RTE but he really is - which is probably just some sort of tax loophole or something. He's employed by "I love jellybeans Ltd." or something - isnt he? F*ck me.

I bet you all thought you were going to get a break from books didn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Your one is a bit of a snowflake, banging on about maura and love Island and comparing to lowry winning the golf. Take a hike.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Your one is a bit of a snowflake, banging on about maura and love Island and comparing to lowry winning the golf. Take a hike.
    How is that being a snowflake??

Man organises game of football. Groundbreaking stuff

I can't wait for the movie.

• Advertisement

Ireland is gonna be a BMX Centre Of Excellence or somthin' , next.

robo wrote: »
    Is it not getting a bit stale this whole bashing RTE (our license paid) presenters for taking holidays? From what I understand, Tubs is contract staff so I imagine that his contract would include how much annual leave he can have or how they pay him based on the shows he presents etc. or deduct payment if he doesn't present them all - therefore he is entitled (like us all) to his holidays?
    And as I think he may be self-employed, (correct me if I am wrong), he doesn't get paid for his holidays? So whether he takes 20 weeks or 2 weeks, I am not sure why it angers people on Boards. I've seen it also for Today FM presenters also.
    Yes it may seem to some of us that some radio presenters have more holidays than us or than others but so what? is that not between them and their employer? I just don't get the outrage that is not just on Tubs thread but others where people are disgusted at presenters taking holidays.

Or am I reading this outrage wrong?

I agree...And why listen to someone you dont like,or do people listen just to have something to post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Man organises game of football. Groundbreaking stuff

I can't wait for the movie.

Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree...And why listen to someone you dont like,or do people listen just to have something to post here?

I think you’ll find most “negative” posts are aimed in one form or another at the quality of the output and the cost (at taxpayer’s expense) of same.

I did move on. Just commenting that this is not the standard I expect to be provide from the national broadcaster on a prime time show that I pay for.

In fairness to RTE they have something more entertaining now with Miriam O'Callaghan baiting the guy from Tusla.

The old "why dont you just turn your radio off" argument is as stale as any other comment being made on this thread.

People are entitled to comment on the state of the national broadcaster all they want. I could equally argue that if you dont want to live in a world where people say anything negative about anything then you need to lock yourself away in a cupboard. Or at least get off boards.

I dont listen to the show every day but when I do hear it, it's generally very pointless. The odd good guest, yeah. But usually terrible interviews and generally very pointless and self-indulgent.

Tubridy was giving out DJs who play old adverts and called it "lazy radio" the other day. He'd want to take a look at himself - he has to fill less than an hour and spends a good 20 minutes reading utter ****e from the newspapers or droning on about Roald Dahl or reality TV. Very poor quality even in the context of light entertainment.

Gerry Ryan might have been a bit of a w*anker, but was miles ahead of this crap.

As for Tubridy's replacement this week... I'm sure she's a lovely person but jaysus is she boring as a presenter. The show is even more nondescript and pointless than it is with Tubridy and that's saying something.

Let's be grateful for small mercies, though - at least we dont have to listen to Tubridy giving out his paint-by-numbers opinion on Boris Johnson's appointment.

The old "why dont you just turn your radio off" argument is as stale as any other comment being made on this thread.
    Yes, it is. It's also against the charter, which provides that both positive and negative commentary is welcome here.

This place would turn into some miserable fan-page if it only consisted of people praising their favourite shows. Mind you, it can sometimes go too far in the other direction, where any positive comment is attacked and denigrated.

...Mind you, it can sometimes go too far in the other direction, where any positive comment is attacked and denigrated.

Fair point, so in the interest of balanced conversation I'll try say something nice about Tubridy.

*racks brains

ehhh..... He's not bad at interviewing kids, I suppose.

That was tough.:pac:

Fair point, so in the interest of balanced conversation I'll try say something nice about Tubridy.

*racks brains

ehhh..... He's not bad at interviewing kids, I suppose.

That was tough.:pac:
    ah yeah, that wasn't a dig at you, it's not my kind of programme either.

I have eyes only for Joe, after all. He probably wishes I hadn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

People are entitled to comment on the state of the national broadcaster all they want. I could equally argue that if you dont want to live in a world where people say anything negative about anything then you need to lock yourself away in a cupboard. Or at least get off boards.

I dont listen to the show every day but when I do hear it, it's generally very pointless. The odd good guest, yeah. But usually terrible interviews and generally very pointless and self-indulgent.

Tubridy was giving out DJs who play old adverts and called it "lazy radio" the other day. He'd want to take a look at himself - he has to fill less than an hour and spends a good 20 minutes reading utter ****e from the newspapers or droning on about Roald Dahl or reality TV. Very poor quality even in the context of light entertainment.

Gerry Ryan might have been a bit of a w*anker, but was miles ahead of this crap.

As for Tubridy's replacement this week... I'm sure she's a lovely person but jaysus is she boring as a presenter. The show is even more nondescript and pointless than it is with Tubridy and that's saying something.

Let's be grateful for small mercies, though - at least we dont have to listen to Tubridy giving out his paint-by-numbers opinion on Boris Johnson's appointment.

Agree with lots of this. Especially this new thing of a monologue at the start of the programme. The new presenter too Mollie? Millie? is at it. She might be under the impression that the stuff she's talking about is of some kind of profound interest to the world. It is, as you say, nothing short of self-indulgence.
    It comes across as a cover for not having any particular interesting guest to talk too.

Worthy as he and his cause is, the 'jumpers for foot ball' fellow was very very dull- in line with today's programme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement