Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to be less of a home bird?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You sound like you just bounce from thing to thing and never actually experience anything. You very dismissively say you’ve learned languages and to play musical instruments. How many languages do you speak fluently? Or do you mean you’ve just taken a few classes and quit? If you play instruments, are you in bands etc?

Honestly, it sounds like what you need most is mindfulness. Learning to be fully present and fully engaged in the present moment would be a valuable skill you need. It might stop you constantly bouncing around looking for external fulfilment and help you learn that that comes from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Rather than pick an activity that’s new, pick a challenge. Life is more fun when you set yourself a goal and achieve it. The journey to the challenge will lead you to new people and experiences.
    Examples, cycle the Wicklow 200. Hike to Everest base camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Solo travel. Far away for 2 or 3 weeks.

It will force you have to live and connect with people outside your bubble.

I did it years ago, and while it was tough for the first week or so I grew to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry. But all the things you have mentioned I have done music etc languages.

I feel in fact I only really know and meet people from those areas in life.

How about some voluntary work? To take you out of the place you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Maybe it’s just the way you write, but your posts come across as very disjointed, and one thought hopping into your head, then another, without you being finished expressing your first thought.

Do you think you might be treating things that you might be interested in in the same way? - hopping from one thing you’ve tried, to the next and the next one, without giving any of them a fair go?

If you’re suggesting things to your friends as a vague “let’s do something different”, well that’s probably not going to work. You need to come up with a plan, as in “there’s x thing on that I’d like to go”. In my experience, most friends would go along with that, whereas a vague “I just want to do/go somewhere different” will probably not happen.

You spoke about moving somewhere else. A relocation isn’t going to magically solve a problem that you have with your ability to feel fulfilled. That old expression about “bringing yourself with you wherever you go” is pretty accurate in my opinion

• Advertisement

OP, most of the activities you've talked about are learning-related. I know some people here have suggested you challenge yourself, broaden your horizons etc., but I'd actually advise the opposite.

Go find some activities that don't involve concentration, commitment, or the ambition to master something. Go find something that's just fun for the sake of fun. That's where you'll find differently minded people. I don't know if you've looked at meetup.com, but I feel like most of those activities are all driven by people who are looking at self-development. You don't need self-development, you need to learn how to enjoy yourself again.

Check out 'interested in' notifications in facebook. You might be surprised at people in your network that are going to events near you. It could even be a way to reconnect with people you haven't seen in a long time, who themselves have grown and changed and come with a bunch of new people you could meet and have an easy 'in' with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

OP I am getting from your posts that you need a total change of scenery and I don’t think picking up a new hobby will fulfill this.
    As someone else suggested, traveling or going to live in another country for a while would tick many of your boxes - new people, new experiences, out of your comfort zone, etc.
    I understand about needing change in your life. Changes and challenges help us grow. Traveling would definitely shake things up for you!

Advertisement