Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from penneys

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If you decide to ask to allow you back in and they refuse your request then you might only be drawing attention to yourself by management. Whereas if you say nothing they may forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Penny's are well within their rights to not let you back in, they're running a business. Ban me if you want mods, but it's not Penny's responsibility to understand the position of people who take things from their shops. Fair play for owing up and taking responsibility, but I suggest you might want to shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Not being funny but surely there are other shops in your town apart from Penney’s? There must be other options either nearby or a bigger town close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Our problem is now, because there is only one penneys in our town, its hard to find reasons to tell our family and friends why we won't be venturing in, and it's very tough on us, emotionally and of course, financially. The advice I'm looking for, I'm not sure as I don't know what to do, we would do anything to be let back in.

I understand we committed a crime, but the guards were very understanding so we're not looking for another dressing down.

What can we do to be allowed back in?
    Can we be prosecuted if we were to venture back in sometime?

Any advice would be very appreciated

To say we regret our actions would be an understatement....[/quote]

First paragraph . That's why suggestions of telling family were posted. It's in the op

Abba987 wrote: »
    Our problem is now, because there is only one penneys in our town, its hard to find reasons to tell our family and friends why we won't be venturing in, and it's very tough on us, emotionally and of course, financially. The advice I'm looking for, I'm not sure as I don't know what to do, we would do anything to be let back in.

I understand we committed a crime, but the guards were very understanding so we're not looking for another dressing down.

What can we do to be allowed back in?
    Can we be prosecuted if we were to venture back in sometime?

Any advice would be very appreciated

To say we regret our actions would be an understatement....

First paragraph . That's why suggestions of telling family were posted. It's in the op[/quote]

You should just come clean to your family. Your not a child I assume so they're hardly going to punish you surely if the Guards understand your situation family will understand too and understood it at the time. Is going to Penneys a social outing for you and your family and not a place you'd only go to if you were on your own because failing the above you could just not tell them or only tell them next time your with them and they want to go to Penneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

You tell your family that your relative attempted to leave the store with something they hadn’t paid for. Your relative stood their ground believing the store were wrong. Guards were called and there was indeed an unpaid item in relatives bag. Don’t know how it got there, mortified. You both kicked up such a fuss that Penney’s said you’re both barred. Relative is so embarrassed. It’s not to be talked about. End of story.

Tell relative to tell their lot the same story in reverse.

Nobody mentions it again ever.

Don’t go back to the store. You’re both barred and you’ll only be humiliated if you go back because they are not going to let you back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Wouldn't your family be aware that you were struggling financially at that particular time too? I'm sure they'd be understanding and forgiving of the shoplifting incident. You may as well come clean to them.

Security guards along main streets etc are usually able to communicate with one another on walkie talkies. I often hear them telling each other that someone they are watching/following is heading to the next security guards shop. So being banned from Penney's probably means that the security guards in other shops in the same area are aware of the incident too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I don’t understand why the op would need to explain to their family why they don’t shop in Penny’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I don’t understand why the op would need to explain to their family why they don’t shop in Penny’s?

Well they could be with the wife and 3 kids and little Johnny needs new shorts and all of a sudden he's hiding in the toilet so security dont see him

I wouldn't need to tell the aunts and uncles but the close family probably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Worked as a security guard for years. Tbh if someone that wasn’t an absolute mouldy scumbag (that I’d have probably watched anyway) stole and came back a few months later, I’d tend to give them a second chance but watch them closely. There’s no hard and fast rule tbh. I’d always try see the human side personally and not be a dickhead, some officers take their job overly serious and take it personally, some are forgetful with faces and lazy, it depends. So there’s no way to tell if going back in and holding your hands up will work for or against you without knowing the people involved. I definitely wouldn’t try go above the security’s head and straight to the manager, managers employ security to do this stuff for them (especially in big stores like Penney’s) and any good manager will leave all decisions at their guard’s discretion. So you’d only piss off the person who’ll likely make the final decision anyway. Best case scenario you create a dispute and the manager is going to default to the person they work with every day over someone who stole from them.

It can also depends on how much of a back and forth happened. If I caught someone and it was relatively straightforward, I may have forgotten their face within a month because you see so many every day, whereas if they kicked up blue murder I could see them ten years later and cop them straight away.

Your best bet, honestly, is staying away for a while then trying to go back in and seeing if you get clocked. Chances are you won’t, unless you made a serious scene. Penney’s would arrest multiple people every day so only the repeat offenders and people who left a mark because of how they acted (or if they were super sneaky or remarkable in some way) would register immediately.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Worked as a security guard for years. Tbh if someone that wasn’t an absolute mouldy scumbag (that I’d have probably watched anyway) stole and came back a few months later, I’d tend to give them a second chance but watch them closely. There’s no hard and fast rule tbh. I’d always try see the human side personally and not be a dickhead, some officers take their job overly serious and take it personally, some are forgetful with faces and lazy, it depends. So there’s no way to tell if going back in and holding your hands up will work for or against you without knowing the people involved. I definitely wouldn’t try go above the security’s head and straight to the manager, managers employ security to do this stuff for them (especially in big stores like Penney’s) and any good manager will leave all decisions at their guard’s discretion. So you’d only piss off the person who’ll likely make the final decision anyway. Best case scenario you create a dispute and the manager is going to default to the person they work with every day over someone who stole from them.

It can also depends on how much of a back and forth happened. If I caught someone and it was relatively straightforward, I may have forgotten their face within a month because you see so many every day, whereas if they kicked up blue murder I could see them ten years later and cop them straight away.

Your best bet, honestly, is staying away for a while then trying to go back in and seeing if you get clocked. Chances are you won’t, unless you made a serious scene. Penney’s would arrest multiple people every day so only the repeat offenders and people who left a mark because of how they acted (or if they were super sneaky or remarkable in some way) would register immediately.

Interesting insight sort of surprised to hear how common it as I've only ever witnessed people being caught shoplifting on one or two occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Wouldn't your family be aware that you were struggling financially at that particular time too? I'm sure they'd be understanding and forgiving of the shoplifting incident. You may as well come clean to them.

Security guards along main streets etc are usually able to communicate with one another on walkie talkies. I often hear them telling each other that someone they are watching/following is heading to the next security guards shop. So being banned from Penney's probably means that the security guards in other shops in the same area are aware of the incident too.
    Ah for the love of Jesus.. that won't happen. They are too lazy. Trust me in a year you can stroll back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you're truly regretful and have learned a lesson then let it go and do without penneys for a while.

i find it hard to believe that security could remember every person they eject from a store.

leave it for a while then go back yourself.
    being short of money is hard, cutting back on thibgs is part of that and while hard its necessary.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would tell family that me and relative had a bet to see who could stay away from buying unnecessary stuff in Pennys for a year. You can say that you read about Fast Fashion and how bad it can be for the environment which spurred the bet. You are allowed, as part of the bet to shop any other store, ebay, facebook pages, charity shops or borrow what you need. You just can't set foot in any Pennys for a year.

And since you are massively competitive you are determined to win. ;)

Then it will go down in family tales as that time Delicate and Delicate's cousin had that mad Pennys bet and be an amusing anecdote akin to when Dave went Vegetarian, or that daft hairstyle Maura had when she was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

As said I would leave it for a few weeks/months and then go in *alone* and buy something.
    Then you are a paying customer, should make it easier if on subsequent occasions you are stopped you can see "I bought something here last week ... etc" - Gives some insurance - my 2c anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Neyite wrote: »
    I would tell family that me and relative had a bet to see who could stay away from buying unnecessary stuff in Pennys for a year.

What the op needs is more honesty. Bad enough being a thief without spinning an elaborate bs story to friends and family.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

antix80 wrote: »
    What the op needs is more honesty. Bad enough being a thief without spinning an elaborate bs story to friends and family.

It's pretty obvious from the op and subsequent posts that the OP won't tell her family. And that's her right whether you or I disagree with it. She has every right to not tell friends and family that she was caught shoplifting. It's the kind of thing that always sticks with you and that other family members can throw back in your face for all eternity. Maybe you have a kind, discreet and forgiving family who would never mention your transgressions again but not everyone does. FWIW, I was caught shoplifting when I was a kid, and I did tell my folks, but this thread isn't about me.

Some posters think that telling an OP what they would do in a similar situation counts as advice but really the best way the thread can help an OP is to give them advice that suits them, rather than what suits you. What I've suggested may not suit, what you have might not either. But the point is to give the OP a range of options to consider and apply the one that they feel is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Worked in retail store for 10+ years as employee, still remember every face that was banned. I wouldn't suggest just strolling in.
    Staff know, security know, and manager knows.
    You are far better to speak to manager directly of the span of the ban.
    However none of those people that where banned, ever returned to store....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why does OP so desperately want to shop in a place where she was banned from? It's the last place on earth I'd want to go back to as it would bring back all the unpleasantness. It's not like Penneys is the only clothes shop in the town. If the town is big enough to support a Penneys, then there surely are other shops.

OP - if your friends or family are going there and ask why you are not joining them, just say you encountered a very rude manager there once or that you were refused a refund and that you are boycotting the place. You could also just say that you are sick of their clothes falling apart after one or two washes so you refuse to buy their clothes anymore (I think we can all attest to an inferior quality Penneys purchase at some stage so that would be a credible excuse). You may be considered a little stubborn or overly principled on the matter but that is one way of getting out of the situation without having to declare the truth (which I appreciate is something you wouldn't want to share).

Sorry if this sounds tough or if I come across a bit judgmental here (for which the millennial snowflakes will no doubt lambaste me for ) but you're being a little precious here (even though I appreciate that you are completely remorseful). Ever heard of the phrase "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". You are asking for zero consequences to your negative (criminal in fact) actions. Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that and rightfully so otherwise we'd all potentially be blissfully reckless if we knew there were no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They have 2 years to press charges. You stole from their shop. Stay well clear of the place and don't push your luck. Afaik penneys have a prosecute all crimes policy - you might meet a manager or find it on the desk of an area manager -one not as 'nice' as the one who didnt press charges and then you would have a ban and criminal conviction to explain to your family. You shoplifted and were caught. Take your free ride punishment and stay away from the place - they have been very clear and the police are involved. You don't want them to change their mind the way you have changed yours . It is a 2 way street .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

OP hasn't been back for two weeks.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement