Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimated cost for tiles, carpet & wood for new Homes?

• 14-07-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are thinking of buying a new house up in Drogheda tiles, carpet or wood flooring are not included, were just wondering the estimated costs for putting wood flooring at living room, tiles for kitchen, 3 toilets (walls included) and carpeted stairs, including hallway top floor and 3 bedrooms.

What do you suggest?

Overall 1200sqft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

The price will depend on the quality of the tiles/carpet and wooden flooring you decide and the fitters who install them.
    Shop around the different shops and see what the offer, only advice I can give you is don't scrimp on the likes of underlay on the carpets and wooden floors it will make big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If you go into any flooring shops they'll have contact details for contractors, who can quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I just want a rough estimation do you think will it reach 10k? We will probably start with a very reasonable price not fancy tiles, wood or carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I just want a rough estimation do you think will it reach 10k? We will probably start with a very reasonable price not fancy tiles, wood or carpet.

You can easily spend 10k, but You can do it so so much cheaper than 10k too, but ultimately you’ll do it twice. You could get carpet on your stairs for three hundred euro, up to a few thousand. I’m pretty sure i was quoted 350 for our stairs and landing last year but it probably wouldn’t have lasted three years, I think I ended up paying €750, for a decent quality carpet fitted.
    A friend of mine needed to put flooring in 3 bedrooms on a tight budget recently, and actually got lino put down, it’s wood floor effect; and looks grand.
    If I were you, I’d probably spend as little as possibly in the bedrooms, and go for better quality flooring downstairs that would last. It would be an awful disruption to have to take up flooring in your kitchen and replace it in a couple of years. Same with sitting room etc, but it wouldn’t be as troublesome upstairs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

OP - there is also a section here on Price and Costs if you need specific answers, but I think you're doing ok here :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

jlm29 wrote: »
    You can easily spend 10k, but You can do it so so much cheaper than 10k too, but ultimately you’ll do it twice. You could get carpet on your stairs for three hundred euro, up to a few thousand. I’m pretty sure i was quoted 350 for our stairs and landing last year but it probably wouldn’t have lasted three years, I think I ended up paying €750, for a decent quality carpet fitted.
    A friend of mine needed to put flooring in 3 bedrooms on a tight budget recently, and actually got lino put down, it’s wood floor effect; and looks grand.
    If I were you, I’d probably spend as little as possibly in the bedrooms, and go for better quality flooring downstairs that would last. It would be an awful disruption to have to take up flooring in your kitchen and replace it in a couple of years. Same with sitting room etc, but it wouldn’t be as troublesome upstairs.

100% agree with this.
    Also, are you under pressure to do it all together?
    There should never be a rush to do it all before you move in, best to wait and get a feel for the home rather than the house.

I bought a new home 4 years ago, and didn't complete the refurbishment until this year.
    My motto has always been, do it once and do it properly.

Advertisement