Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2019, 23:01   #1
mengele

Auto gearbox question

In an automatic gearbox when you put it in park what's holding the car from moving down a hill. Will park always hold the car or do you still need to put on the handbrake on a hill?
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 23:11   #2
koutoubia

When its in 'P' it the car should not be able to move with or without the handbrake.
As my understanding goes when you put it in P you are locking the gearbox on a toothed gear that cannot move.
10-07-2019, 23:16   #3
theguzman

I have driven Automatics with the last 12-13 years and I always apply the handbrake except when it is in my own driveway.
10-07-2019, 23:23   #4
gctest50

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutoubia View Post
When its in 'P' it the car should not be able to move with or without the handbrake.
As my understanding goes when you put it in P you are locking the gearbox on a toothed gear that cannot move.
Use the handbrake, it's only a little pawl - probably made out of some form of chocolate like everything else

(4) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 11:11   #5
biko
Arbiter

If you're not on flat surface add the handbrake, as shown it's just a small thing holding it in gear
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 11:16   #6
xabi

Just get into the habit of doing both
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 11:47   #7
biko
Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabi View Post
Just get into the habit of doing both
I disagree, and it's prob offtopic, but there have been X amount of threads here with people parking for extended periods with handbrake on and then having problems with the handbrake sticking (rust in summer and ice in winter).
Myself, I only add handbrake when car is not on flat surface. That's me though.
11-07-2019, 11:54   #8
xabi

That's different, i'm sure he's talking about everyday use. For me its an automatic process, I dont think, just do what I always do when parking the car.
11-07-2019, 11:59   #9
grogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
I disagree, and it's prob offtopic, but there have been X amount of threads here with people parking for extended periods with handbrake on and then having problems with the handbrake sticking (rust in summer and ice in winter).
Myself, I only add handbrake when car is not on flat surface. That's me though.
Use the hand brake regularly - every time you park - you won't have issues. Use it occasionally - it will seize.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion