Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-07-2019, 23:51   #1
sligojoek

Fiat brake fluid warning.

I was at a petrol station counter when a woman with a bottle if brake fluid in her hand asked me did I know where the brake fluid went in a car. She said the warning light was on. I went out with her and opened the reservoir and the fluid was up to the max line. I suggested it may be worn pads but she showed me the dash and there was also a "Brake Fluid" message on a panel in the middle of the speedo. I felt the brake and there was a good pedal and she'd found no loss in braking. I told her to see a mechanic straight away.

Just looking to satisfy my own curiosity. Has abybody ever come across this.

It was an 08 cinquecento (sp?)
Advertisement
08-07-2019, 23:58   #2
greasepalm

Front pads have a wire sensor which might have broken or pads are worn down and maybe someone had topped up fluid lately.Your right to have checked fluid and to advise a visit to garage for a check.

People should know their basic guide of how to look after their car and when.
09-07-2019, 00:32   #3
sligojoek

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasepalm View Post
Front pads have a wire sensor which might have broken or pads are worn down and maybe someone had topped up fluid lately.Your right to have checked fluid and to advise a visit to garage for a check.

She'd only bought the car and didn't even know where the bonnet prop was. I remarked there was a lot of moss o the widow rubber and other crevices. She said it had been idle for some time before she bought it. Maybe the fluid had lost its properties. Not a thing I'd be familiar with.

My daughter is doing her test on Thursday. I learned today that as part of the test she has to point out the BF and coolant reservoirs along with the oil filler cap and dipstick. Only for it was raining this evening I'd have shown her how to change a wheel.
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 05:55   #4
greasepalm

Brake fluid can lose its property and hold moisture and one reason why dealers want to change it every number of years and charge big money.
I do hope you have an extendable wheel brace to help loosen wheel nuts and a 4lb sledge to remove wheels seized on stub axle.last week i could not open wheel nuts with impact gun and had a 2 foot snap on bar with a 6 foot bar on top to crack them open.
09-07-2019, 10:15   #5
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
If it's the red brake warning light on the dashboard, it's not going to be the pads (there's a different light for those if there are sensors, usually amber). The red light (assuming the message means it's not related to the handbrake) means there's a problem with brake pressure - either a leak, low fluid, maybe some vacuum/servo failure, or the brake pressure switch (what activates the light) has failed. Older cars often had a way of testing the switch but I guess that's not important any more

If there was an issue with brake pressure it might have felt fine initially, but braking hard multiple times could have led to the pedal dropping to the floor.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion