Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Groaning noise at high speeds

• 08-07-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

My mums 2009 Micra has started making a noise when driven at high speeds that sounds almost like it’s in the wrong gear even though it’s in 5th.
    It’s doing 2500rpm at 100kph which I don’t think is a concern and I can’t get any burning clutch smell. 120k on the clock

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Gael23 wrote: »
    My mums 2009 Micra has started making a noise when driven at high speeds that sounds almost like it’s in the wrong gear even though it’s in 5th.
    It’s doing 2500rpm at 100kph which I don’t think is a concern and I can’t get any burning clutch smell. 120k on the clock

Any ideas?

Could be a wheel bearing on the way out. If it’s coming from one side, jack up the wheels and check the bearings on each wheel (plenty of videos on YouTube that’ll show you how to do this).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any ideas?

If you're in the right-hand lane it's probably all the driver's behind you making that noise :pac:

Seriously, quite possibly a bearing. Also, might be no harm seeing if 1 wheel is hotter as could be a stuck caliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A bearing issue would be anything too major to repair I imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

A bearing issue would be anything too major to repair I imagine?

Nope. A bearing for a Micra should definetly cost less than €50 and wouldn't even take an hour to fix but you'll probably be charged an hours labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I have the same problem but it's defo the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I have the same problem but it's defo the wife.

that's probably more of a moan than a groan, unless she's drugged and in the boot.

Advertisement