Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook pride profile filter

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is it not lgtb staff members from those Firm's that are driving their participation?
    And does that not indicate an acceptance and pride in the orientation of those firm's staff members?

The people on the Diversity committees are the same people on every committee. There is a committee for everything. Well there is no men’s committee but they are allowed joined the women’s. I was under the impression that committee gives advice to new parents

People don’t join for a noble crusade but more for something to do. Being cynical you could also say HR need these committees to get into “best place to work” competitions

Holding up picture frames declaring you are a straight ally and giving us rainbow lanyards and putting posters around the place

Having committees in Citibank didn’t save some people from bullying or compulsory redundancy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Just reading that for the first time, the GAA wil be taking part in Pride with 100 members in their county colours marching in the parade.

That’s a brilliant development. More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bicloset

Folks only getting back to this now.

To this poster who asked should they attend or not. Please do. Your sincerity and honesty is the type of straight allies the LGBT community need. I only attended 1 pride and it was so humbling seeing all the families and young kids out normalising LGBT for them. This is how we change society by embracing our young.

On Tuesday I was in Dublin city for the day. It was honestly unreal the amount of places selling pride stuff. I may have been cynical about places putting up punting etc but in reality there is still alot of pubs and bars who didnt put up anything.

In fairness, it it these businesses only real chance all year to throw a nod of support to the LGBT community and say they are non discriminantory so they are taking that opportunity. I even seen some small businesses like an opticians and bakery who in reality had small windows done out but fair play to them, they won't have any direct business uptake over the weekend but they are just showing their support which is humbling.

On another note (and this was what prompted me to write the post) was I got an Instagram promoted add with directions to our local ulster bank selling the wee bear for pride in aid of Belongto. Cynical me thought there is no way they are for sale in my local town and this is just Ulster Bank pumping out marketing. Low and behold didnt our branch have 3 big Belongto posters in the window and I even went into the bank to check and there was the badges up on the counter for sale (not sure how many sold now!)

Also this evening in doing some shopping in Tesco and the 3 charities where you put the blue disks into. 1 was for a local school and another for an old age social club in the area whilst the 3rd was for Belongto.

I guess my point is these companies are only really doing good work if their money being spent on the cause is rolled out nationally and not just kept in Dublin. Fair play to Ulster Bank and Tesco. I would say nobody in my town has heard of Belongto but this is how people start getting exposed.

Have a nice Pride folks in whatever ye celebrate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The people on the Diversity committees are the same people on every committee. There is a committee for everything. Well there is no men’s committee but they are allowed joined the women’s. I was under the impression that committee gives advice to new parents

People don’t join for a noble crusade but more for something to do. Being cynical you could also say HR need these committees to get into “best place to work” competitions

Holding up picture frames declaring you are a straight ally and giving us rainbow lanyards and putting posters around the place

Having committees in Citibank didn’t save some people from bullying or compulsory redundancy
    Stop this. This is whinging for no good reason. You have no idea the impact this visibility has on younger people who are unaware of queer politics and radical anti-capitalist goings on, and why should they. These groups are creating an unbelievable positive display of a country that backs and supports their people. Of course there are still rights challenges to be won, but how can you sit here and type away a whole movement? Why can't people enjoy this one day for what it is? This is now a Pride for everyone, like it or not. Go ahead and push for new changes, but can you hold off the keyboard conquests for one day of the year and perhaps bring up these issues other times in the year when it isn't as convenient?

If Tesco doing Pride sponsorships makes one confused young person feel like they might have a place in the world after all, we all win.

Advertisement