Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lug Walk Challenge 2019

• 10-06-2019 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Has anybody here signed up for the Lug Walk Challenge this year? It's coming up on Saturday the 15th so less than a week to go.

Despite the fact that I 'think' I have done more than enough training for it I am absolutely terrified of what I have signed myself up for.

Should be a great day nevertheless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Lug is an amazing experience. If you've never done it before you'll be questioning whether it's even possible, but then once you get into it you'll be amazed as you start ticking the mountains off. By the time you get to Table Track you'll probably be knackered, but you'll know the finish is "near".

I know Tom (Gravale) on here has done countless Lugs and can give good advice - all I'd say is nothing beats a good blast of sugar at the bottom of some of the later hills, a change of socks at Wicklow gap feels great, and there's no need to try and keep up with the speedsters at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, it's a great experience. I've only done it once, was planning on a second one but twisted by knee training for it :)

If you haven't already done so, try and get someone to meet you at the Wicklow Gap with fresh socks and some food and water, and dry clothes if it's raining, which more often than not, it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anyone do the Lug walk today? Would love to hear about your experiences.

Didn't do it myself but saw a few intrepid souls while out on a walk up on Conavalla in the early afternoon. They looked pretty shattered and weren't very talkative :D

Weather was great at that stage but it was lashing rain earlier on at 5 am here in Bray so probably a miserable start for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

unkel wrote: »
    Anyone do the Lug walk today? Would love to hear about your experiences.

I managed to do it but just about.

I knew it was going to be hard and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Myself and my mate finished in 13 hours 21 mins and were fortunate enough to get to Fentons just before the first bus pulled out so we didn't have to wait for the second bus which would have been a few hours.

The weather was actually great during it but the constant rain throughout the day and night beforehand really made it quite messy up there in several places. I was stuck in a bog for a good 10 mins up by Conavalla with the worst leg cramps I've ever experienced.

What a day though. The sense of achievement at the end is phenomenal. And all the lovely people you meet during the day for a chat really helps.

Thank God the next one isn't for another 2 years!

• Advertisement

Well done! Good to hear the weather first thing wasn't bad. It's always demoralising starting something like that in the rain.

In future you can avoid Conavalla itself and head over to Table via 3 Lakes. You avoid the bog known as Hag's Sloughs where you got stuck and also avoid the height loss by dropping down off Conavalla to the river and climbing back up to Table track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CodyCottage1947

Over the years I've completed 88 Lug Walks.

That included a Triple Lug:

(1) 1999 (8pm June 17th) 14hrs 6mins (solo) 

(2) 1999 (June 18th) 14hrs 58mins (solo)

(3) 1999 (June 19th) 14hrs 35mins) Club Lug finished 8pm.

Advertisement