Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

disabled parking permit use

Options
  • 26-05-2019 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but I could not find anything on it. Can a person use another person's permit to collect someone with a disability?
    For example. Can I use the permit to park in a parking space to colĺect the person who owns the permit? Let's say the person who has a disability is arriving by train and that person gives me the permit to park. I display the permit and I go inside the train station to accompany that person to the car?

Another example. The parking permit holder is shopping in the city centre. He wants to be collected at 4pm. I drive to town to collect him and park in the nearest public parking space using that person's permit to collect that person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Yes you can, as long as the permit holder is either present or you are driving "on behalf" of the permit holder (ie collecting them, driving them places etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes you can, as long as the permit holder is either present or you are driving "on behalf" of the permit holder (ie collecting them, driving them places etc)

Where is thst written down? What's the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have an idea it is not written down. But the intention of the permit is what should be considered. If it is directly related to the person (ie, the body, not just fetching messages for them) then it is fine for you to use the space.

I used drive my husband who had a permit. If he needed to be dropped off somewhere I would use the parking space to drop him off and see him into where-ever he was going. If it was for more than a (say) ten minute appointment and the circumstances were such that he could be left, I would go and move the car elsewhere to leave the space open. On return I would fetch the car and if the space was taken I would have no qualms about double parking to fetch him from the building (where I would have left him waiting at the door, hopefully seated). If for some reason I was needed to stay with him then I would just use the space.

If he had had a permit and was driving himself he would have been perfectly correct to stay in the parking space, but making them accessible whenever possible is the reasonable way to manage situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

bobbyss wrote: »
    Where is thst written down? What's the source?

It's in the citizens information website

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/disabled_persons_parking_card.html

It's in the citizens information website

I had looked there already but can't seem to see where it addresses my question.

Are you saying I can use someone's card e.g. to drive down town, park with the card leave the card and go and get the card holder and bring him to the car?
    Or indeed park, display the card and wait in car for card holder to come?
    As I said, I don't see this written down anywhere. By the way card holder is not wheel chair bound but has a disability. When we are travelling together we always park on any spot we find and leave the disabled spot for someone who may have a greater need e.g. a wheelchair user.

• Advertisement

Once you have the card in the car and are using it in good faith to collect (or whatever) the person on the card, you would be ok. I am not quite clear what problem you envisage? You seem to imply that the person becomes more able to walk when with you (I am not being sarcastic, but they are able to walk to or from an normal parking space?)

looksee wrote:
    Once you have the card in the car and are using it in good faith to collect (or whatever) the person on the card, you would be ok. I am not quite clear what problem you envisage? You seem to imply that the person becomes more able to walk when with you (I am not being sarcastic, but they are able to walk to or from an normal parking space?)

Visually impaired person. Depends if dark or bright or sunny etc then needs assistance.
    If parking attendant sees me leaving car and wants to check card I have explaining to do. Don't like having to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I had looked there already but can't seem to see where it addresses my question.

The permit is linked to the disabled person, not to any particular vehicle, so if you are travelling with a disabled person, and facilitating them with drop offs and collections, then they can allow you to use their parking permit for this.

Its included in the information that comes with the badge when its issued.

"The permit may be used by the disabled person in any vehicle in which they are travelling, either as a driver or as a passenger."

Source: Disabled Driver's Association Ireland.

Visually impaired person. Depends if dark or bright or sunny etc then needs assistance.
    If parking attendant sees me leaving car and wants to check card I have explaining to do. Don't like having to explain.

Apologies, that was an circumstance I did not think of. No, you are fine, just show them the pic of the person on the reverse and say that you are just going to fetch them. You don't have to account for yourself otherwise, if the attendant is sufficiently interested/suspicious s/he will just hang around till you get back.

Advertisement