Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detox/Rehab

• 19-12-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what the options are regarding Detox/Rehab. Do you need to be referred and what kind of prices are we looking at?

Apologies if this is the wrong board. Please move if it's inappropriate or theres somewhere more suitable.

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Do you have health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭retroactive

Yeah, company provided. I'd rather keep them out of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Alcohol only or alcohol and drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭retroactive

Alcohol

Private hospitals e.g. St Pats and John of Gods do medical detox and four-week programs, they are very expensive so only really possible with health insurance. I know you don't want your employer to know, but just because they pay for your health insurance does not mean they receive information on what it's used to cover. You'd get your GP to refer you.

Then there's Cuan Mhuire (in Athy, Limerick, Cork, Newry, Galway) which also does a medical detox as part of a twelve week program. Can be good to just remove yourself from the outside world for a bit, sometimes it's all a person needs. Heavy emphasis on religion which puts a lot of people off. Self-referral.

Coolmine is something different altogether, minimum five months residential, and it's a therapeutic community rather than a treatment centre. It's by far the most holistic and empowering program I've ever done, it's not for everyone, it's very tough going. There is no alcohol detox there - you need to be clean and sober going in. Self-referral and money is usually taken out of clients social welfare payments.

Stanhope, Hope House, Tabor Lodge, the Rutland are others worth looking into, depending on what part of the country you're in.

From personal experience, St Patricks Hospital and Coolmine are the two I'd have a more favorable opinion of, but it all totally depends on you and your own personal situation.

• Advertisement

It's also well worth considering attending NA/AA/Lifering meetings in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cuan mhuire in Athy offer a three month rehab, yes there's a religious aspect to it but you can choose to just zone out of that bit (my bf did) and concentrate on getting well. If on social welfare they will use most of that as your keep so not sure how much it would be privately but it was deffo less than what my bf was spending on drink. The thing I like about it it's in a quiet setting and once you're feeling well and de toxed you are put to work. It gets you into a routine and gives you a break. It's tough going but if you want to do it you can. The other people in there are very supportive. Visitors are allowed on weekends days. You have to phone every day for a week so they know you're genuine your gp can give you a letter or you can self refer. No phone calls allowed during the week. It saved my bfs life but he was really ready to go in. Price wise it under€200 a week just can't remember the exact amount but that includes your meals and showers, etc.

Advertisement