20-03-2020, 14:35   #331
Worztron

Hi guys. Would this be correct? -- School of the Holy Spirit = Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 20:42   #332
mr chips

I think so, yeah - AFAIK the word "Holy" is taken to be part of the noun in this case, rather than an adjective. Otherwise, generations of kids have been taught the wrong way to bless themselves in Irish!
Thanks from:
22-03-2020, 08:22   #333
Worztron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
I think so, yeah - AFAIK the word "Holy" is taken to be part of the noun in this case, rather than an adjective. Otherwise, generations of kids have been taught the wrong way to bless themselves in Irish!
Thanks, MC.
18-04-2020, 10:23   #334
Worztron

Ní Bhuachalla

Hi guys.

What is 'Ní Bhuachalla' in English? I know 'Ó Buachalla' is Buckley. Is 'Ní Bhuachalla' another version of Buckley?

Thanks.
18-04-2020, 10:45   #335
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worztron View Post
Hi guys.

What is 'Ní Bhuachalla' in English? I know 'Ó Buachalla' is Buckley. Is 'Ní Bhuachalla' another version of Buckley?

Thanks.
"Ní" replaces "Ó" when the surname belongs to a woman/girl, so you were right - it still means Buckley.

The same thing happens with "Mac" surnames, which change to "Nic" for female names.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2020, 12:52   #336
Worztron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
"Ní" replaces "Ó" when the surname belongs to a woman/girl, so you were right - it still means Buckley.

The same thing happens with "Mac" surnames, which change to "Nic" for female names.
I didn't know that. Cheers, IO.

Last edited by Worztron; 18-04-2020 at 12:52. Reason: didnt ->didn't
18-04-2020, 13:49   #337
Worztron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post

So a woman with the surname Adams would be 'Nic Ádhaimh' instead of 'Mac Ádhaimh'?

Last edited by Worztron; 18-04-2020 at 15:30. Reason: removed surplus line-space
20-04-2020, 09:01   #338
Worztron

Well, Insect Overlord?
20-04-2020, 09:57   #339
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Well, Insect Overlord?
That is correct.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-04-2020, 11:47   #340
mr chips

Just to add a clarification to that - if a girl is born into e.g. the Mac Coinnigh family, her surname will be Nic Coinnigh. However if she marries into the Mac Coinnigh family, her married surname will become Mhic Coinnigh. In other words, "Nic" indicates "daughter of" while "Mhic" indicates "wife of".

Same thing happens with Ní / Uí.
(2) thanks from:
20-04-2020, 15:17   #341
Worztron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
Just to add a clarification to that - if a girl is born into e.g. the Mac Coinnigh family, her surname will be Nic Coinnigh. However if she marries into the Mac Coinnigh family, her married surname will become Mhic Coinnigh. In other words, "Nic" indicates "daughter of" while "Mhic" indicates "wife of".

Same thing happens with Ní / Uí.
Hi MC.

So would I be correct what I've compiled here?

Boland - Ní Bheoláin, Ó Beolláin, Ó Breólláin ('Ní' replaces 'Ó' when surname belongs to female.) If a girl is born into the family, her surname will be Ó Bheoláin. However if she marries into family, her married surname will become Uí Bheoláin. In other words, 'Ní' indicates 'daughter of' while 'Uí' indicates 'wife of'.

Adams - Mac Ádhaimh ('Mac' changes to 'Nic' for females.) If a girl is born into Mac Ádhaimh family, her surname will be Nic Ádhaimh. However if she marries into Mac Ádhaimh family, her married surname will become Mhic Ádhaimh. In other words, 'Nic' indicates 'daughter of' while 'Mhic' indicates 'wife of'.
20-04-2020, 15:42   #342
Worztron

Is Mac Coinnigh the Irish for both MacKenzie & MacKinney? Or more names?
20-04-2020, 16:44   #343
Insect Overlord

This website is good for surnames: https://www.sloinne.ie/surname/ga/mac-coinnigh/

Some more info here: https://www.libraryireland.com/names/macc/mac-coinnigh.php
Thanks from:
20-04-2020, 22:28   #344
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Quote:
Hi MC.

So would I be correct what I've compiled here?

Boland - Ní Bheoláin, Ó Beolláin, Ó Breólláin ('Ní' replaces 'Ó' when surname belongs to female.) If a girl is born into the family, her surname will be Ó Bheoláin. However if she marries into family, her married surname will become Uí Bheoláin. In other words, 'Ní' indicates 'daughter of' while 'Uí' indicates 'wife of'.

Adams - Mac Ádhaimh ('Mac' changes to 'Nic' for females.) If a girl is born into Mac Ádhaimh family, her surname will be Nic Ádhaimh. However if she marries into Mac Ádhaimh family, her married surname will become Mhic Ádhaimh. In other words, 'Nic' indicates 'daughter of' while 'Mhic' indicates 'wife of'.
Would it be more correct to use Bean Uí Bheoláin for the wife's name?
20-04-2020, 23:00   #345
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel View Post
Would it be more correct to use Bean Uí Bheoláin for the wife's name?
Some people prefer that. Some choose not to use it. I think Mother Foclóir even debated it in one of their podcasts, and recognised it's an interesting facet of feminist linguistic theory and Irish tradition.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion