Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do ye use Nutritional Yeast?

• 28-02-2021 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've yet to try nooch. What's your favorite way to eat it? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. I've yet to try nooch. What's your favorite way to eat it? Thanks.

I use it on pasta dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sprinkle it on pasta dishes, stir it into tofu scramble, mix it with chickpea flour to make a batter for vegan omelette or quiche, add to sauces for cheesey flavour and colour, add to pesto instead of cheese. If heated above a certain temp it loses it's nutritional benefits tho, so if you're cooking with it bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

I wonder if it goes well with a tin of baked beans?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why wouldn't it? You can put it on anything savoury really, don't overthink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gabrielle88

You can make mac and cheese with them, using boiled potatoes and carrots - mash them together, add nutritional yeast, a little veg. broth, pasta, salt, pepper, simmer it together and then you have delicious mac and cheeese. :)

• Advertisement

Do ye opt for NY flakes, granules, or powder? Would there be a difference in nutrient absorption/shelf life? Thanks.

Yesterday, I tried NY for the first time - don't know why it took me so long.
    I got 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes with B12'. On the back it mentions ways to use it: casseroles, cereals, salads, smoothies, soups, stews, etc.

So far, my favorite things to add it to are: baked beans, sprinkled on toasted bread with flora, & gravy.

Yestermorn, I tried a little on top of my porridge - it was bad. This morn, I tried some on top of my muesli - also bad. I'm not sure what cereals it'd go well with - perhaps cornflakes or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pretty much anything. stews anything with a sauce really. adds that mushroom earthiness to any dish. basically in savoury dishes it's a flavour enhancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Think of it like a cheese - normally you don’t put cheese on porridge/muesli :-D. Here’s a great replacement for Parmesan: 3/4 cup cashews, 3 tablespoons nooch, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt - - fire the lot into a blender and blend to powder. Keeps for 4 weeks in fridge (but never lasts that long)
    Worztron wrote: »
    Yesterday, I tried NY for the first time - don't know why it took me so long.
    I got 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes with B12'. On the back it mentions ways to use it: casseroles, cereals, salads, smoothies, soups, stews, etc.

So far, my favorite things to add it to are: baked beans, sprinkled on toasted bread with flora, & gravy.

Yestermorn, I tried a little on top of my porridge - it was bad. This morn, I tried some on top of my muesli - also bad. I'm not sure what cereals it'd go well with - perhaps cornflakes or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I'm quite partial to sprinkling it on popcorn, especially stovetop popcorn. I find it sticks better when the popcorn is warm.

• Advertisement

I add a tbsp on the side of the plate with my curries. Delicious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I do a similar thing, just a tad simpler and I never measure anything. Cashews (or almonds), whizzed for a bit, then add nooch and some black salt. I don't go to a powder, I like it still a bit nutty. Goes lovely on beans, pasta, potatoes, tomatoes on toast, or just off a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is there a shortage of Nute these days? I've not been able to get it (in Gorey) and half of this week's meal plan hinges on it.

Hi kylith. I've not heard of it being called 'Nute' before. I did hear of 'nooch'. I find it hard enough to find. The green tub of Engevita (has extra zinc) is seemingly no where to be found. I usually settle on the blue tub Engevita nooch.

I started using it in pasta and stuff before I started looking for recipes online, so I'd just been shortening it to nute' in my head.

Anyway, I managed to find some in a little healthfood shop and had to stop myself from buying all on the shelf.

Do you add it to Bolognese?

I like the sound of 'nute'. You may have coined a new word there (or at least a new meaning for that word). ;-)

Yes, it's tempting to grab the lot. :-)

I put it in lots. I don't usually make bolognese because OH isn't too keen on the texture of Quorn mince, but I put it in risottos, broccoli and rice casserole, sundried tomato pesto. Anywhere it takes my fancy, really.

Yeah, I just don't like the sound of 'noosh'

They may prefer red lentils in the bolognese. NY is very versatile for sure.

Did you mean to say 'nooch' and not 'noosh'?

Yes, I did. That's how much I don't use that term 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement