Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-12-2019, 19:53   #181
RoYoBo

Not quite the same as baked spuds in the oven, but you can saute small ones until the skins are browned and then put them on the trivet to finish cooking with a little water beneath.

Like the other poster above, I prick large spuds with a fork, roll them in oil and salt, then microwave for 5-10 minutes (2 large spuds). I then finish them in a hot oven to crisp all over, usually about 20-30 minutes.

It's a bit of a myth that everything can be done successfully in an IP. It's a great gadget, but it has some limitations by its very design. I've seen folks online try to convert every recipe under the sun and it seems like some kind of challenge to them. I just work with its strengths and I'm happy with what it does best.
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 20:00   #182
Muahahaha

Yeah I dont think you can get anything crispy in the Instant Pot. Watched a video of a full chicken being cooked in it and the end result looked very soggy and then the cook went and put it in an oven anyway to crisp it up which kind of defeats the purpose. Id see the IP as a tool for things like curries, stews, chilli, etc, if you want crispy food then the airfryer or oven is the way to go.
01-12-2019, 20:23   #183
aisling86

Look at the ninja foodie if your looking for crispness bought one for my brother down to £129.99 from £199.99
01-12-2019, 21:00   #184
RoYoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Yeah I dont think you can get anything crispy in the Instant Pot. Watched a video of a full chicken being cooked in it and the end result looked very soggy and then the cook went and put it in an oven anyway to crisp it up which kind of defeats the purpose. Id see the IP as a tool for things like curries, stews, chilli, etc, if you want crispy food then the airfryer or oven is the way to go.
I do roasts and chicken quite successfully in the IP. The trick is to brown/saute first and then pressure cook. It seems like a bit of a faff in the beginning, but you soon get used to it. The meat and chicken is beautifully moist and it sits in the pot keeping warm for however long you need.

But, yes, an air fryer or oven is the perfect option for genuinely crispy stuff and baked goods -each gadget to its strength
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 00:33   #185
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling86 View Post
Look at the ninja foodie if your looking for crispness bought one for my brother down to £129.99 from £199.99
I just saw an ad for that on tv the other night, a pressure cooker that is also an airfryer. This could turn out to be the new holy grail and we'll all be here this time next year waiting for it to drop to £60 on Black Friday
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 18:48   #186
cormie

Should we all be cancelling our instant pot and go for that ninja thang?? I hate having so many appliances and it'd be much nicer to have something that can replace something else!

I wonder how it compares to the instant pot for pressure cooking functions and how it compares to say the philips air fryer then for that?
02-12-2019, 18:59   #187
rubadub

I posted about it in the food forum a few months ago

-Came across this Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker but also airfryer and dehydrator. Looks to me like a jack of all trades, master of none. The reviewer gets huge praise in the comments for the non nonsense reviewing style

153 in argos, it was 250 in argos when I posted that in august
https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...37;3EFOODI.htm
I'd be more tempted at that price, if I did not already have both a instant pot and airfryer.

I had a giggle at the claim amazon are conning people. I got the instant pot at £82 last year and considered it a great price.

My money would be on the poster being mistaken (not lying), I saw an extremely similar looking and named unit for £59.99 a few months ago, deliberate copy cat.

Of course it is possibly it really was a lightening sale which camelcamelcamel missed, but that is a moot point, the main claim here was that it was a con job and not a great price - a "fake bargain". CCC can miss out on flash prices but so what, it still is incredibly useful and shows the true "going rate".

I got 48 cans of guinness for 35euro yesterday, I will still be posting if they hit 24 or 20 for a tray in the future. And if I had seen an instant pot for £60 several weeks ago I sure as hell would have shared the deal here.

Last edited by rubadub; 02-12-2019 at 19:16.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2019, 21:53   #188
cormie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
-Came across this Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker but also airfryer and dehydrator. Looks to me like a jack of all trades, master of none. The reviewer gets huge praise in the comments for the non nonsense reviewing style
I was expecting the review to be pointing out a lot of flaws compared to other pressure cookers and air fryers, but it seemed to do both relatively well? I don't have either and haven't researched into how well others stack up, but it seemed to perform well enough for a combo?

Considering the Philips Air Fryer XL is like £229, I think a combo at £129 sounds pretty good?
03-12-2019, 01:23   #189
cormie

Looks like instant pot do a combo too, can't see it on amazon.co.uk anywhere, but I think it's new out in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_syfpGxmQ

Conclusion of the vid is saying that the Ninja Foodie is better. I prefer the stainless steel pot of the Instant Pot and it looks a little more compact too and has a few more features.
Advertisement
03-12-2019, 10:10   #190
loyatemu

my Instant Pot arrived this morning, very excited, this is going to fix everything!
(2) thanks from:
03-12-2019, 10:14   #191
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
my Instant Pot arrived this morning, very excited, this is going to fix everything!

Ah, those famous last words!
Thanks from:
03-12-2019, 10:40   #192
cormie

I'm thinking to cancel my order for the instant pot for £60 and get either the Ninja or Instant pot with the air fryer!
03-12-2019, 10:44   #193
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie View Post
I'm thinking to cancel my order for the instant pot for £60 and get either the Ninja or Instant pot with the air fryer!
Prob since boards users on here would take it from you if they missed out on the bargain?
Thanks from:
04-12-2019, 13:08   #194
cormie

Yeah, if anyone is interested let me know! Collection in Dun Laoghaire, works out around €72-ish
04-12-2019, 16:52   #195
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie View Post
If you dont already have an airfryer its probably the thing to do. However from the video of the Ninja posted by rubadub the lid on the Ninja has to stand up when you're using the airfryer function. It looks like it needs a lot of space above it to operate, it doesnt look like it would fit underneath standard wall mounted kitchen cabinets with the lid up so be aware of that before buying.

In any case I dont really get the idea of pressure cooking a full chicken and then using an airfryer to crisp it up when you could have just cooked the chicken entirely in an airfryer to begin with. Is there any kind of logic to it that the chicken would be more moist by pressure cooking first and then crisping up over just airfrying alone?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion