Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is CTYI? *new*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Oog...Get back to me after a boring Irish class or 2. I'm going to be wrecked this week, so I might do SOMETHING next weekend.

That or just nick bits from the what is CTYI thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭guX

CTYI is a nation of it's own. Although you are in Dublin, you (or at least I) don't feel like you are in Dublin. It's a completely different experience. Even when you go to different parts of Dublin while in CTYI, it still doesn't feel like Dublin. It's the most amazing place on earth, and the only place on earth where I can survive for more than 5 minutes without a computer :D. I think I can safely say that they were the best 3 weeks of my life (I've only done it once).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Independant Republic of CTYI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Viva la C.O.C.K.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

am.....ok........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Peoples Republic of C.O.C.K.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

guX wrote:
    CTYI is a nation of it's own. Although you are in Dublin, you (or at least I) don't feel like you are in Dublin. It's a completely different experience. Even when you go to different parts of Dublin while in CTYI, it still doesn't feel like Dublin. It's the most amazing place on earth, and the only place on earth where I can survive for more than 5 minutes without a computer :D. I think I can safely say that they were the best 3 weeks of my life (I've only done it once).
    One year in CTYI I was completely convinced I was in a different time zone to my parents who live 20 mins down the road. It seriously is like another country.

ya, for three weeks in your summer you get to become an intricate part of the fledgling nation that is ctyi ,.,

Seriously though, your first week after going home is like walking into a different country... very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cornucopia

Teleute wrote:
    People who say that Disneyworld is the happiest place on Earth have never been to CTYI.

Disneyworld sucks in comparison to CTYI, it was easily the best thing I did last year which of course makes me seem terminally nerdy but so what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

CTYI changed my life for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

pinkpimp wrote:
    CTYI changed my life for the better.
    ... I'm waiting for the salesman in a cheap suit to emerge and try selling me this miracle lifecure, but it's just not happening!
    It truly is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Not actually in the spirit of the thread ( I'm sure CTYI IS practically orgasmic) but how are the entrants picked? I did the SATs and got 660 in verbal and 670 in maths, but nowhere in the internet does it say if that's good or bad compared to anyone else, or if I have a place etc. I've sent away my entry form. (that thing's like a scavenger hunt!) Can anyone tell me, or are the inner workings of "Nerd Camp" closely guarded secrets? I just want to CTYI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

So have you applied or what?

My Bad. Just edited. Yes, I've applied, and I got a Celebration invite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

As far as i know if you've got a celebration invite your in. Not 100% certain though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

If you're invited to the ceremony, of course you're in!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Sam got his invite today! Not sure will it be me or his dad taking him, but hope to meet ye all then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Disharmony

jono087 wrote:
    ya, for three weeks in your summer you get to become an intricate part of the fledgling nation that is ctyi ,.,

Seriously though, your first week after going home is like walking into a different country... very strange

Yeah, I got that too. Didn't realise why people stared at me on the street. Then I noticed how I was dressed :p CTYIers respect differences as opposed to being ignorant chunks of excrement like people are in the real world. That's what made it special for me. Getting used to it again was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Ctyi is a utopia. All sense of social interraction is like cut up with a scissors and put together in a surreallist collage. You can do whatever you want really (within limits), and you wont be made fun of at all, its great.

If only ctyi could be made into a bording school of our dreams, for those of us who are deft enough to do the SAT. It could be like hogwarts, only better!

However there is one drawback to ctyi, the absolute ****ing dreadfulness you feel when you go back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

to quote cornucopia, above -

best thing i did last year. :D only wish i'd been there this year too. :(

utopia indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Someone said you take the test between 8-12, what if you're 13 and want to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm pretty sure you can take the SAT at almost any age, it's just to get in to the CTYI courses you have to be between certain ages.

Eh, I took it at 14? So I'm pretty sure you can take it at any age you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

ya...might just do that...

You're better off doing it as soon as you can so you can get the most courses as possible done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dust

hmm.. I was attracted to this post because of the inordinate numer of posts and as an ex-ctyier i thought it would be interesting tho see what others had to say. However after seeing the hyperbole of the first page i wasn't arsed reading the rest and as my faint nostalgia turned to bitter cynicism i decided to post my own reaction to it.

Firstly the experiences, testimonies and general bull**** that have been posted remind me the kind of stuff that i heard after Kairos, a cultish religous retreat with with born again undertones. I am amazed that for many of you it morphed from a two week study course with unihoc to a deeply spirtual, emotional event.
    For me ctyi was informative, interesting but far from a life defining experience.

The point that really galls me is that many of you revel in it exclusivness. Its been called "a nation of its own", "unlike anywhere else on earth" and generally lauded for keeping you isolated in your own little pretentious pseudo intelluctal world. I understand that many of you find it difficult to interact with people that can't qoute the entire "life of brian" but the solution to that is hardly to develop a little enclave of nerdiness that acts as the highlight of your year and a bastion from the "rough boys" who don't appreciate your "uniqeness".

You see i enjoyed CTYI but it didn't approach the utopia that many of the posters claim it to be. (generalisation alert) It is a camp for kids who think they are more intelligent than they are, with middle/upper class parents whose upwardly mobile aspirations and love for their socially retarded offspring results in them spending HUGE amounts of money so their precious child can mix with similar children and feel superior, unique and maybe for the first time get a girl/boy friend.

You see boys and girls its just another bastion of class privilege perpetuating
    the division between rich and poor and manual and mental labour.

Have a good time, enjoy it, make friends but get over it.
    Lol. Now i feel refreshed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Chip on shoulder or rod up ass?
    Just cuz it didn't live up for you to what it did for an awful lot of people doesn't mean you can come on here and quasi-rant at them for once in their lives being ABLE to feel as if they're accepted by some branch of society. Okay, so most people are accepted by "true" society, but for us outcasts, we need to find SOMEWHERE where we can fit in, whether it be because of our inflated opinion of our intelligence, or because we enjoy learning and are cited as being nerds. It doesn't matter WHY we're outsiders, it matters that we found somewhere to fit IN for ONCE. And wanting to prolong that feeling of having something in common with more than 2 people in one place is natural!
    So let us enjoy it, and prolong it, and were you REALLY a CTYIer? Cuz I can't see a CTYIer dissing on peers like that... but maybe I'm just being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Dust......I don't like you....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ok, i'm a newbie as well so i can't speak for everyone, but let me give my humble opinion.

Firstly, i think some of those descriptions of ctyi as a 'nation of its own' and a 'utopia', may have been light exaggeration. Call me a hypocrite but it wasn't a utopia - i was exaggerating. Secondly, I agree that it can be condidered exclusive, but there are scholarships, etc, and it does try to appeal to everyone that is 'talented'.

I agree with zounds...it's a place for people to fit in and have fun.

It hasn't (for me, anyway), turned into a deeply spiritual event. As for getting over ctyi, this is an online forum - just a bunch of people discussing common interests and remembering fun times.

Lighten up, Dust.

EDIT: i agreed with plunky, not zounds. i misread the name at the time because i'm quite blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

actually, no, wait, Dust, you're right.

THROW OFF THE BOURGEOISIE OPPRESSORS! ALL OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES OTHER THAN MY OWN ARE ENTIRELY INVALID!

Advertisement