Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars

• 12-06-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time here.

Aldi are selling the following Binoculars at €24.99 from tomorrow.

I know they will not be the quality of more expensive brands.

They have two on offer.

Maginan 8-24x50 and 10-30x60.

Just wondering what the difference is and is one better than the other.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first reaction is - avoid. cheap AND zoom; zoom is the death of decent image quality.
    though if i did have to choose between them, go for the smaller ones.

you're better off with fixed focal length bins, but if you can manhandle them and confirm it's not like looking down a length of pipe, you've not wasted a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

my first reaction is - avoid. cheap AND zoom; zoom is the death of decent image quality.
    though if i did have to choose between them, go for the smaller ones.

you're better off with fixed focal length bins, but if you can manhandle them and confirm it's not like looking down a length of pipe, you've not wasted a lot of money.

Well that was the sort of response I was expecting I guess.

I can't afford expensive binoculars.

That is the reason I don't drive a Ferrari or have a 100" Plasma TV.

I just wanted to know which of the two was the better.

Only want them for use in back garden for a little bird watching and aircraft watching.

So I guess I will go for the smaller ones so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may have better luck buying secondhand off adverts. where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

you may have better luck buying secondhand off adverts. where in the country are you?

Sligo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

You'll get a pair of Opticron or Hawke binoculars for €100-150 that will last a lifetime, versus €25 for something that will frustrate you very quickly. I agree, zoom binoculars should be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i have these and they're excellent for the price, nice & compact too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I spent years buying cheap binoculars. Usually the exact type of ones you are looking at in Lidl/Aldi. I would have had a decent set for all the money I spent over the years. The kids and their partners clubbed together last year and bought me these

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/hunting/binoculars/terra-ed-pocket/terra-pocket-10x25.html

Expensive but I know they will last me a lifetime. And the difference between them and the cheaper ones with supposedly the same specifications is remarkable.

And while I appreciate you cant lash out a few hundred euro then maybe save up for a few weeks and spend 100- 150 as recommended above..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I prefer compact bins these days, something that fits in a jacket pocket.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement