Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Absences during term time

• 12-06-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I've got a kid starting junior infants in September, and I was wondering how they usually are here with trips away in term time. Either holidays or just going to see family. We're from Scotland and schools there have been cracking down on it.

I could just ask the school of course, but don't want to start off on the wrong foot. We're not piss takers wanting to jet off every few weeks, but with massive price hikes in the official holidays this will come up at some point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It depends on the volume you are talking about - there is a limit to the number of days kids can be absent.

However when my son was in primary school I used to take him out about 3 days before the last day as you would save up to €1k but going on hols starting end of June as opposed to into July. Usually the last week of school before summer hols is doing deck all anyway. It was never an issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If a child has good attendance in general, it's not an issue. Be upfront with the school when you are taking your child out. I've seen children all excited to be going to see Granny in another country and then a parent sending in a note to say that the child had been ill. The last week of the summer term is actually very significant for lots of children, the school tour/sports' day, concert etc. and they can be quite upset to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

No hassle with it. Every teacher has their own bills to pay in life and fully understand the reasons if someone can save a significant sum by taking off a few days

As mentioned above just say it straight out. Whats worse is a parent who makes up an excuse when the teacher knows exactly what's going on as the child will often have mentioned it. That would probably annoy the teacher more than actually being absent

I've worked in 4 schools over the past 15 years and i've never seen an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

https://www.schooldays.ie/articles/school-attendance

This article might help as it's concise.

As long as your child isn't absent for more than 20 school days then it doesn't become a big problem, but be upfront with the teacher, as others have said, they'll find out from the child anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Blush_01 wrote: »
    https://www.schooldays.ie/articles/school-attendance

This article might help as it's concise.

As long as your child isn't absent for more than 20 school days then it doesn't become a big problem, but be upfront with the teacher, as others have said, they'll find out from the child anyway.
    The " 20 days" is incorrect. A school can refer any child who has missed fewer than 20 days if they are concerned about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The " 20 days" is incorrect. A school can refer any child who has missed fewer than 20 days if they are concerned about them.

In the context of this person's question specifically about taking their child out for holidays during term time to visit their home country, it's correct, and your addendum regarding safeguarding is covered in the linked document.

I appreciate you're striving for accuracy but context is important too.

This isn't the first time your response to one of my posts has made me feel unwelcome. It's fine, I understand that I'm not welcome here and I won't post on this forum again.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    In the context of this person's question specifically about taking their child out for holidays during term time to visit their home country, it's correct, and your addendum regarding safeguarding is covered in the linked document.

I appreciate you're striving for accuracy but context is important too.

This isn't the first time your response to one of my posts has made me feel unwelcome. It's fine, I understand that I'm not welcome here and I won't post on this forum again.

I’m sorry if you feel “ unwelcome,” but I do think it’s important that posters get the most accurate information. Feel free to report my responses if you feel that you are being unfairly treated .

Advertisement