Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going up Denali

Options
  • 08-06-2021 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

This has become the next step for me, although it could be described as a jump. I have been up Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn before COVID-19, and I was planning to go up Elbrus until lockdown. I changed my mind after talking to a friend who has done it before and said it’s a better choice if you’re getting serious about trying something over 8000 in the future, which I think I would try in future.

Has anyone here’s tried this peak? It is beyond daunting, but that’s been the case for a lot of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

nj27 wrote: »
    This has become the next step for me, although it could be described as a jump. I have been up Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn before COVID-19, and I was planning to go up Elbrus until lockdown. I changed my mind after talking to a friend who has done it before and said it’s a better choice if you’re getting serious about trying something over 8000 in the future, which I think I would try in future.

Has anyone here’s tried this peak? It is beyond daunting, but that’s been the case for a lot of them.

A friend did it 20 years ago when living in the US.
    I think that was the mountain bug that bit him and he's been infected ever since.
    But he never got around to an 8000er before family life came along.
    He spoke highly of their guide at the time, the team was well drilled and he ran a tight ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Elbrus is one I know a few hikers have done. It's hard work, but not particularly technical - Mont Blanc on steroids.

Denali - I know a few people who have done it and they wouldn't have the skills to get up the Matterhorn, but they would have experience on big mountains more technical than Elbrus.

It also has the "can".

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

hmmm wrote: »
    Elbrus is one I know a few hikers have done. It's hard work, but not particularly technical - Mont Blanc on steroids.

Denali - I know a few people who have done it and they wouldn't have the skills to get up the Matterhorn, but they would have experience on big mountains more technical than Elbrus.

It also has the "can".

Yep Elbrus seems like a good next effort, I’d still be open to either at this point. I wouldn’t consider myself a particularly skilled guy going up technical climbs but managed the Matterhorn without scaring myself too much, so I’m looking at trying a longer climb to get a feel for that kind of thing. Hence the Denali idea, which is a long drag by all accounts.

Advertisement