Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling- what’s gone wrong and where do we go from here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

crossman47 wrote: »
    (rule it out if not 100% clear)

that would definitely be too far imo. All you would need to do is bottle of the man in possession, he couldn't hand pass it away so it would be easy prevent him striking the ball even a short distance, would lead to more rucks. I'm a big fan of the idea of reducing the flight of the ball and the bas of the hurl though.

Like everyone, I was aware that the bas on hurls had grown over the years (I don't have evidence for this but my memory is the O'Connor twins hurls back in the early 2000s looked massive and people gradually followed suit copying the Cork style) but when someone mentioned the 13cm rule I actually went and measured my own hurl and it was 18cm at the widest point! And it doesn't look particularly big by the standards of today at all. I'm almost certain cultecs and other composites aren't regulation either. That seems to be a fairly easy fix for the GAA, just enforce the rule and be done with it (although the smaller sweet spot will instantly make me an even worse hurler than I already am). And don't allow sliotar manufacturers to change the composition of the ball without GAA permission and testing first.

I stopped watching it lately - find it boring. Sliotar has to be changed because lads scoring from 90+metres no problem and less battles around the pitch than before. Stats show with the number of scores now increasing year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭fuinneamh

Spot all the lads who don't play anymore. Game has never been better to play at all levels. Every player gets touches on the ball, not just your spine down the middle.

We're going through a phase off puck outs where everyone is bringing 12 men into their half on defence. This means the attacking team has a 8 vrs 3 advantage to manufacture a shot from half way. The defence gives you options and this is the best option. Eventually hurling will follow football and soccer and realise there's an advantage to sometimes pushing up on teams on puck outs. Then you'll get your return to more 50/50 contests.

Every invasion ball sport has combinations of zonal and man to man defending and hurling will be no different in the future.

Finally, beware too heavy a sliothar as that will lead to even more carrying of the ball further up the field. A heavier sliothar means striking long is going into 12 defenders and no player never mind coach is going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

fuinneamh wrote: »
    Spot all the lads who don't play anymore. Game has never been better to play at all levels. Every player gets touches on the ball, not just your spine down the middle.

We're going through a phase off puck outs where everyone is bringing 12 men into their half on defence. This means the attacking team has a 8 vrs 3 advantage to manufacture a shot from half way. The defence gives you options and this is the best option. Eventually hurling will follow football and soccer and realise there's an advantage to sometimes pushing up on teams on puck outs. Then you'll get your return to more 50/50 contests.

Every invasion ball sport has combinations of zonal and man to man defending and hurling will be no different in the future.

Finally, beware too heavy a sliothar as that will lead to even more carrying of the ball further up the field. A heavier sliothar means striking long is going into 12 defenders and no player never mind coach is going to do that.

People also saying that upping the goal to 4 or 5 points to encourage goals. What this will actually do is encourage more sweepers and seeding of space to the attacking half backs and will lead to more long range points not more goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People also saying that upping the goal to 4 or 5 points to encourage goals. What this will actually do is encourage more sweepers and seeding of space to the attacking half backs and will lead to more long range points not more goals

100% and also lads saying make the bas smaller and the ball heavier, what will that lead to? More fecking shortpassing, its like they want to punish the team that actually play the ball long.

I think it is also very clear here that people are talking solely about intercounty senior - the club game has never been healthier or a better spectacle, I would hate to see anychanges being made simply becasue of a tin y majority of the total games played and players in the game.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    100% and also lads saying make the bas smaller and the ball heavier, what will that lead to? More fecking shortpassing, its like they want to punish the team that actually play the ball long.

I think it is also very clear here that people are talking solely about intercounty senior - the club game has never been healthier or a better spectacle, I would hate to see anychanges being made simply becasue of a tin y majority of the total games played and players in the game.

I do think they should be strick on bas size but not because of impact on the game I just think you should have regulations on equipment in sport so that technology first become a major factor in a sport. But I am someone you doesn't see much wrong with current tactics even the hand passing. My only worry is puckout points as a puckout can't be marked or isn't reward for a foul

For instance I am one of the people who fully supports the strict and finicky UCI rules on bikes and jerseys in cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Maybe the solution is simpler than it seemed to me before starting this thread. If we went back to the ball used 10 years or so ago and enforced the rule on bad size things could be a lot better. It does seem like there is a demand for a change now, points being scored from huge distances and extremely high scores are not looked at as positively as they were 4/5 years ago.

Maybe the solution is simpler than it seemed to me before starting this thread. If we went back to the ball used 10 years or so ago and enforced the rule on bad size things could be a lot better. It does seem like there is a demand for a change now, points being scored from huge distances and extremely high scores are not looked at as positively as they were 4/5 years ago.

True enough although I've found myself agreeing with people from all sides of the argument in this thread (actually it's been a great thread in that sense!). Even on this page, I had supported reducing the bas size (or rather enforcing it) and the sliotar returning to its older composition (by the way can anyone say for definite that the composition has been changed, by whom, and when? Or is everyone just assuming that happened?). Then others suggested this could lead to even more protective tactics where nobody will want to move the ball long at all because of how unpredictable the strike and the flight of the ball would be.

This raises two points for me. Firstly, nobody here actually knows what the effect will be of any particular changes in the rules/regulations until we see what happens. So finding the right changes to get the game where we want it will be a slow process of trial and error.

Which brings up the second point: where do we want the game to be? I think while many people here are agreed they don't like a lot of the way the game is played, I'm not sure everyone is on the same page about what they think the ideal would be. A lot of people want to have more one-to-one contests for ball, and what comes with that, visceral excitement and breaking ball that introduces a bit of randomness and favours the backs more than the current situation where backs main job is setting up plays for scoring opportunities rather than defending.

But what is the ideal to which those people are looking? A few people mentioned the eighties, but I don't know if they've watched those matches again recently but I looked at a lot of "classics" during lockdown and it was often dire stuff. I've never been a fan of the "ground hurling is gone out of the game" argument because ground hurling was often just wild flaking that was poor to watch anyway. But I think we all probably enjoy seeing lads going up together to contest high ball and the best man wins the battle. To me the high point of that was probably about 12 years or so ago. But two things about that: 1. as a KK man I remember well that people complained endlessly about our style of play in that era that is now so fondly remembered and 2. that is also the era in which we started seeing the sweeper (first time I saw it was Clare under Daly), short passing (Cork under O'Grady) and backs swarming the forward after he gains possession (KK under Cody) which between them account for most of what we're all complaining about now.

So I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

True enough although I've found myself agreeing with people from all sides of the argument in this thread (actually it's been a great thread in that sense!). Even on this page, I had supported reducing the bas size (or rather enforcing it) and the sliotar returning to its older composition (by the way can anyone say for definite that the composition has been changed, by whom, and when? Or is everyone just assuming that happened?). Then others suggested this could lead to even more protective tactics where nobody will want to move the ball long at all because of how unpredictable the strike and the flight of the ball would be.

This raises two points for me. Firstly, nobody here actually knows what the effect will be of any particular changes in the rules/regulations until we see what happens. So finding the right changes to get the game where we want it will be a slow process of trial and error.

Which brings up the second point: where do we want the game to be? I think while many people here are agreed they don't like a lot of the way the game is played, I'm not sure everyone is on the same page about what they think the ideal would be. A lot of people want to have more one-to-one contests for ball, and what comes with that, visceral excitement and breaking ball that introduces a bit of randomness and favours the backs more than the current situation where backs main job is setting up plays for scoring opportunities rather than defending.

But what is the ideal to which those people are looking? A few people mentioned the eighties, but I don't know if they've watched those matches again recently but I looked at a lot of "classics" during lockdown and it was often dire stuff. I've never been a fan of the "ground hurling is gone out of the game" argument because ground hurling was often just wild flaking that was poor to watch anyway. But I think we all probably enjoy seeing lads going up together to contest high ball and the best man wins the battle. To me the high point of that was probably about 12 years or so ago. But two things about that: 1. as a KK man I remember well that people complained endlessly about our style of play in that era that is now so fondly remembered and 2. that is also the era in which we started seeing the sweeper (first time I saw it was Clare under Daly), short passing (Cork under O'Grady) and backs swarming the forward after he gains possession (KK under Cody) which between them account for most of what we're all complaining about now.

So I dunno.

Wasn’t a massive fan of ground hurling either, but since it’s gone it’s all rucks. As I said earlier ground hurling can’t work at the moment, because it’s so easy to score from range that territory is unimportant, so there’s no upside to hitting it in the ground. But if the ball were adjusted and hurley rule enforced that’d change.

Was watching KK v Clare from 02 the other night, it was a poor game, quite one sided, but there was way more competitive moments than you’d see in a lot of games today. Seanie McMahon was an asset to Clare because he could point frees from the middle of the field. DJ got a goal when the ball fell short, it’s a score that wouldn’t happen nowadays, Shefflin would definitely put the ball dead under current conditions.

I certainly wouldn’t have been complain about the KK style of play, but I was fairly sick of ye winning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The skill levels have evolved. That's what's brought the game to where it is today.

Go watch a junior game if you want to see the more of the old fashioned stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am afraid that once the toothpaste is out of the tube, there is no way of getting it back in again so there is no way of getting back hurling to the conventional 14 outfielders marking 14 outfielders that a lot of traditionalists would like to see. Ther emay also be unintended consequences to any rule changes. Reducing the distance that the ball can travel, enforcing the steps rule and ensuring that there is clear separation between the hand and ball when making a handpass seem to be the 3 most widely touted ideas to improve the game
    Teams having to keep a minimum of 4 forwards inside the 65 meter line up to the last 10 minutes of a game? Puckouts having to travel past the 65 meter line? Only 4 players to be within 10 meters at a throw in? Only 2 consecutive handpasses allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rosita

Spot all the lads who don't play anymore. Game has never been better to play at all levels.

You must be some veteran if you can comment on the nature of playing the game across the ages. However, people are not talking about playing. The discussion is the game as a spectacle which it seems is not to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Given the skills have evolved so much and the scoring rates have increased so much, there is merit in increasing the number of points for a goal.

But what is the ideal to which those people are looking? A few people mentioned the eighties, but I don't know if they've watched those matches again recently but I looked at a lot of "classics" during lockdown and it was often dire stuff.

The only people mentioning the 80s are people who assume that any changes are designed to bring the game back there. I would doubt anyone mentioned the 80s (or any other period) as the ideal. I think every era including the current one will look like muck to those in decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭fuinneamh

Rosita wrote: »
    You must be some veteran if you can comment on the nature of playing the game across the ages. However, people are not talking about playing. The discussion is the game as a spectacle which it seems is not to everyone's taste.

Unfortunately Rosita, the two arguments are not mutually exclusive. Rule changes to make intercounty a better spectacle apply all the way down to Junior F. So any rule changes proposed have to include how enjoyable it is to play the game. This always gets lost in this debate, anytime it's brought up.

For example, I'd love a second ref but where would you get them at club level?

Unfortunately Rosita, the two arguments are not mutually exclusive. Rule changes to make intercounty a better spectacle apply all the way down to Junior F. So any rule changes proposed have to include how enjoyable it is to play the game. This always gets lost in this debate, anytime it's brought up.

For example, I'd love a second ref but where would you get them at club level?

There are rules such as duration of games which differ between club and county. 13 aside is allowed in club competitions. Teams provide umpires at lots of matches and don't have to follow inter county standards. I'm sure the difference between the two are plenty. The idea that Junior F holds up the whole system isn't a runner.

Just on the sliotar here is an article from 2003 where a few veteran players talk about the difference between different balls especially the "new" rubber core balls

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/core-values-not-what-they-were-1.369714%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Just on the sliotar here is an article from 2003 where a few veteran players talk about the difference between different balls especially the "new" rubber core balls

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/core-values-not-what-they-were-1.369714%3fmode=amp

That ball is no longer in use. It was ridiculous- balls bouncing on the 20m line were regularly flying over the crossbar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Funny how people thing there is something wrong with the game when their team isn’t winning

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

Get rid of 65's anyway. The base idea of a 65 is completely ludicrous. When the ball goes out of play, the idea should for it to be got back into play as quickly as possible. That's the case in every sport bar Rugby.

It was ok to put up with this idiocy when they were hard score. Now every decent u14 free taker scores them. A keeper saving a shot or a defender blocking a score does not then deserve an automatic score. Make them indirect at the very least

• Advertisement

Avon8 wrote: »
    Get rid of 65's anyway. The base idea of a 65 is completely ludicrous. When the ball goes out of play, the idea should for it to be got back into play as quickly as possible. That's the case in every sport bar Rugby.

It was ok to put up with this idiocy when they were hard score. Now every decent u14 free taker scores them. A keeper saving a shot or a defender blocking a score does not then deserve an automatic score. Make them indirect at the very least

Sideline cut from the corner would be interesting or keep the 65 but off the ground only

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dmakc

Keep the goal dimensions the same, but narrow the point posts

I remember when they brought in the rubber core ones, they had dj in tv demonstrating how much further he could drive one. My understanding was they got rid of them soon after though (could be wrong on that). Was there another, less high profile change since?

Interesting that as I recall the main issue back then was that the new ball effectively eliminated midfield play.

leath_dub wrote: »
    That ball is no longer in use. It was ridiculous- balls bouncing on the 20m line were regularly flying over the crossbar

The interesting point about something like this is that it existed at all showing the lack of regulation.

slegs wrote: »
    Funny how people thing there is something wrong with the game when their team isn’t winning

This is in your imagination but it would be even funnier if people were unable to have any objective constructive criticism of the game just because their team is winning.

Not saying it wouldn't be worth consideration. But obviously it'd reward negative defensive play if you could play the ball over your endline with impunity. And the frequency of 65s versus frees and even sidelines makes you wonder. Probably wouldn't change much. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad or unworthy idea of course.

My only worry is puckout points as a puckout can't be marked or isn't reward for a foul

My understanding is that you cant actually score direct from a puc out and it has to hit something or someone.

Was at a match maybe 15 years ago and Brendan Cummins hit the opposing crossbar with a puck out and there was an inter county referee standing in from of me and that was his take on it at the time.

If you do that then anytime a defender is bottled up or under any sort of pressure he will just run out over the end line. A 65 comes as a result of attacking and it is the same rules for both teams, I would have no problem with them in that regard.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    My understanding is that you cant actually score direct from a puc out and it has to hit something or someone.

Was at a match maybe 15 years ago and Brendan Cummins hit the opposing crossbar with a puck out and there was an inter county referee standing in from of me and that was his take on it at the time.

Did the Laois keeper not hit one recently?
    I also thought there was one in a club game

I remember when they brought in the rubber core ones, they had dj in tv demonstrating how much further he could drive one. My understanding was they got rid of them soon after though (could be wrong on that). Was there another, less high profile change since?

Interesting that as I recall the main issue back then was that the new ball effectively eliminated midfield play.

I think I had a few. I remember splitting a sliotar one time and it looked like balled up elastic bands inside

• Advertisement

Did the Laois keeper not hit one recently?
    I also thought there was one in a club game

It was the same incident but it wasn't a puckout he caught a ball that fell short around his own 21 and hit it over the bar, it actually bounced over the bar from the ground so not sure if that would count as 'hitting something or someone else'.

I doubt very much if you would get consensus even from the top referees as its not something they would be overly familiar with.

Advertisement