Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Year With My Camera

• 26-05-2021 12:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone here has done the 'A Year With My Camera' course and found it beneficial? Complete beginner here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I don't know anything about this course, so I can't comment on it. If you are willing to pay for a course, I can recommend a good, on-line one, run by Dublin Camera Club (DCC). Full disclosure, I am a member of the club, former council member and give one of the lectures (the most boring one).

DCC have been running this course for many years, updating it every year. It used to be run twice a year in our Camden Street premises. Since Covid-19 we have run it on-line via Zoom, and the general consensus is that it is a better course for that. No travelling time, and you can take it from anywhere with an Internet connection😀.

It is a beginners course, run over 10 weeks, Wednesdays at 7.30, twice a year, September and January. Student interaction is welcomed and encouraged. Each lecture takes about 90 minutes, with a different lecturer for each class. All the lecturers are experienced photographers and give their time for free - the club is a registered charity. During the lecture, students can ask questions via chat, or at the breaks, can unmute themselves to ask "in the classroom". This dual approach works well for both confident and shy people. Questions raised in chat are usually answered in chat. If several people ask the same type of question, the lecturer will be asked to address that question during a break for questions or at the end of the session.

During the course, each student is assigned a mentor. During non Covid-19 times, each mentor would take their group on a photo walk to have some practice and give guidance. During Covid-19 this has not been possible so "virtual" meet ups have been arranged and students have been encouraged to submit images for guidance and feedback, as well.

During the 10 week course, students have associate membership of the club. That means they can attend any of the weekly club meetings (Tuesday nights at 8.00pm). These nights may be competition nights, so they see judging and feedback, of club members work, across all grades (Novice, Intermediate and Advanced). But most of the time it will be a presentation from well-known photographers about their work, techniques, experience etc. During Covid-19 we have had presenters from all over the world. The club also runs workshops on Monday nights (about every second week) and nights for Street Photography and Nature groups. These nights are free and open to all members, including the students.

The course costs €120. Club membership is normally €120 but students, during or at the end of the course, can join for €60 for the first year. We run the courses to promote photography and all moneys raised are put back into the club for the members benefits.

I'm sure there are one or two boards members on this forum who know of, or may even have been on the course. Any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated. details on the course can be found at https://www.dublincameraclub.ie/shop/photography-courses-dublin-camera-club

Adrian

Advertisement