Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alex higgins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't get the Alex Higgins hero thing at all. He was just before my time, so maybe I am missing out on some important context of having to be around for thew moment. But just from what I have seen and read, how the hell is he regarded as "the peoples champion".

He had obviously a drinking and gambling problem, which would have contributed significantly to his family problems, marriage etc.

He headbutted an official and was fined and banned - and convicted of assault.

He punched another official just before he announced his retirement.

He threatened to have Denis Taylor shot.

Referred to the black ball as being "Muhammad Ali". Obviously trying to be funny, but ignorant on racism issues.

Allegedly hit his girlfriend or wife with a hairdryer.

He was convicted of assaulting a 14 year old boy.

Got stabbed a few times in a row with a different girlfriend. This time he was the recipient, but there's no smoke without fire.

Plssed in a flowerpot in the Crucible.

His health was messed up with the smoking and drinking. That's obviously his own prerogative. But he had children who I'm sure thought a lot of him and loved him. Yet he continued to drink and smoke whilst seriously ill making life more difficult for them.

Now, I have not done any major research into these points. They are just points taken from Wiki. I don't know if some are exaggerated or not. But I'm sure they come close to the truth.

I just don't get the "hero" tag. If you were reading the above list about some lay person who you knew nothing about, your first reaction would probably be "what a scumbag".

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Higgins was a contemptible character..

But like some other sports stars, he was magnetic. He seemed to ooze charisma around the table..

Like a George Best or Maradona: you just watched to see what they may do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Himself and jimmy white brought snooker from black and white to colour they were so good used to love watching them play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I don't get the Alex Higgins hero thing at all. He was just before my time, so maybe I am missing out on some important context of having to be around for thew moment. But just from what I have seen and read, how the hell is he regarded as "the peoples champion".

He had obviously a drinking and gambling problem, which would have contributed significantly to his family problems, marriage etc.

He headbutted an official and was fined and banned - and convicted of assault.

He punched another official just before he announced his retirement.

He threatened to have Denis Taylor shot.

Referred to the black ball as being "Muhammad Ali". Obviously trying to be funny, but ignorant on racism issues.

Allegedly hit his girlfriend or wife with a hairdryer.

He was convicted of assaulting a 14 year old boy.

Got stabbed a few times in a row with a different girlfriend. This time he was the recipient, but there's no smoke without fire.

Plssed in a flowerpot in the Crucible.

His health was messed up with the smoking and drinking. That's obviously his own prerogative. But he had children who I'm sure thought a lot of him and loved him. Yet he continued to drink and smoke whilst seriously ill making life more difficult for them.

Now, I have not done any major research into these points. They are just points taken from Wiki. I don't know if some are exaggerated or not. But I'm sure they come close to the truth.

I just don't get the "hero" tag. If you were reading the above list about some lay person who you knew nothing about, your first reaction would probably be "what a scumbag".

I think sometimes it is ok to have a different view of 'XX the sporting hero' and 'XX the person'

Advertisement