Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fight Night April 30 BT Sports 1: Conlan and Edwards

• 30-04-2021 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭

19:00 hours on BT Sports 1 sees MC fight at 122 lbs vs Ionut Baluta (Davey Oliver Joyce's) conqueror from last year.

Sunny Edwards is then in to fight for the IBF flyweight title vs 38 year old champion, Moruti Mthalane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    19:00 hours on BT Sports 1 sees MC fight at 122 lbs vs Ionut Baluta (Davey Oliver Joyce's) conqueror from last year.

Sunny Edwards is then in to fight for the IBF flyweight title vs 38 year old champion, Moruti Mthalane

Not just David Oliver Joyce's, but TJ Doheny aswell !
    I expect Conlan to be too slick for him and use his aggression against him, but how Baluta operates will make it a good fight.

If Conlan has made the weight okay and it doesn't drain him I think Super-Bantamweight will be a good fit for him. He's a bit of a non puncher at Feather, but he might be able to have more of an effect at the lower weight, the extra strength for the weight class could prove helpful too.

The Sunny Edwards fight is an interesting one and a pick em. Mthalane in his prime would have little issue here, but he's 38 now and not fought in 18 months.
    It's old for a Flyweight and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Edwards nicks this in a close and controversial points win.

There's a 3rd competitive looking fight on the show (rare for a Frank Warren card) in Troy Williamson Vs Kieron Smith. I've only seen bits of Smith, but I'm not impressed by Williamson at all and thought be lost his last fight. If Smith is up to much he should beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Thought Conlan looked quite weak and drained on the scales yesterday. Bit risky this being his first fight at a lower weight against a come forward puncher type. Hopefully the gas tank holds up ok. Should be too classy for him as long as he hasn't crashed the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Thought Conlan looked quite weak and drained on the scales yesterday. Bit risky this being his first fight at a lower weight against a come forward puncher type. Hopefully the gas tank holds up ok. Should be too classy for him as long as he hasn't crashed the weight.

Yes, big ask making that weight. He really is big at 122....

His team must feel that 126 and 130 are not where he can do well

I mean, frame wise he is at least 126 lbs material, and more....

Needs to be good on defence, movement and speed....should hammer this lad if he is cute and slick, and able to take or avoid anything heavy.

Conlan in the ring now..

MC seems to be focusing on a tight defence!

• Advertisement

Conlan needs to start landing!

Commentators doing Floyd commentary..

Criticising the opponent for missing, but saying nothing about Conlan not throwing..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Conlon running out of ideas here.

blade1 wrote: »

Far too much posing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

blade1 wrote: »

I agree with Adam Booth here, Baluta won that round but it did cost him a lot.
    Open mouthed and blowing a bit from his efforts.

Conlan needs to keep pressuring him and start throwing more back.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    I agree with Adam Booth here, Baluta one that round but it did cost him a lot.
    Open mouthed and blowing a bit from his efforts.

Conlan needs to keep pressuring him and start throwing more back.

Yes. Physically, Mick superior. Needs to impose and throw..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Conlan not good enough here. Needs to get himself into southpaw and pick this lad off. Making hard work of it.

Baluta ran out of gas fairly badly against Doheny. Being made to work a lot here.

Conlan quite slow hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Baluta landing nothing of note really either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Baluta swinging at fresh air 80% of the time!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Baluta swinging at fresh air 80% of the time!!

But at least he’s swinging

But at least he’s swinging

True, Conlon isn’t very impressive at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very one sided commentary as usual. It's a bit like the way RTE reports the news, focus and emphasize everything that you agree with, and completely ignore anything that doesn't suit you.

Very one sided commentary as usual. It's a bit like the way RTE reports the news, focus and emphasize everything that you agree with, and completely ignore anything that doesn't suit you.

Really is..

So OTT for the house fighter..

• Advertisement

What weight division is Conlan fighting at. He looks a lot heavier than usual I thought? No trademark six pack.

Conlon isn’t impressive in any way, if he wants to compete at world level he’ll need to seriously improve. He is the better fighter class wise but he’s not showing it!

What weight division is Conlan fighting at. He looks a lot heavier than usual I thought? No six pack.

At his lightest ever for pro. 122 lbs

Big shoulders and back. Physically stronger than Baluta

Conlan just lacks that zip/speed/spark in his punching...very labored.

Conlan just lacks that zip/speed/spark in his punching...very labored.

Yeah he looks very sluggish, all that zip seems to be gone out of him. His body language in the corner isn't great, inasmuch as you can read anything in to that.

Not scoring this, but it is close. Baluta has won several rounds and several very tight to score..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Have conlan ahead by 1 but think he is in trouble.

An Eddie Hearn night out.

551915.jpg

A Frank Warren night out.

551916.jpg

Frank took advantage of the local wedding band being on hiatus to borrow their lights. That's a real businessman I tell ya.

:-)

Fulton won’t be at all concerned

MC would need quite an improvement to stand any chance beating Fulton.

Some amount of vaseline on Conlon for the last.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous fitness from Baluta.

Advertisement