Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Players Networth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Absolute load of tosh. Dennis must have shifted some amount of joke books to be up there in third spot with over 20 million. Judds already made 5 million in earnings alone but nowhere to be seen. "We used Wikipedia and other sources". Yeah right, waste of time reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Absolute load of tosh. Dennis must have shifted some amount of joke books to be up there in third spot with over 20 million. Judds already made 5 million in earnings alone but nowhere to be seen. "We used Wikipedia and other sources". Yeah right, waste of time reading that.

Steve Davis like Lineker, making money while in media?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Steve Davis like Lineker, making money while in media?

Dunno, basically 4 weeks work a year, hard to see could be making fortunes through the media tbh. I'd imagine Davis invested well, though, with the help of hearn and could probably still command a few bags of sand per corporate engagement. A couple there like ebdon and ken I'd also suspect to have done quite well business wise, but couldn't put a figure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Dunno, basically 4 weeks work a year, hard to see could be making fortunes through the media tbh. I'd imagine Davis invested well, though, with the help of hearn and could probably still command a few bags of sand per corporate engagement. A couple there like ebdon and ken I'd also suspect to have done quite well business wise, but couldn't put a figure on it.
    I played a game of cards with doherty and Davis one night and If they mind the rest of there Money as well as they minded the 200 or so both had in front of them then there doing ok ! Weren’t too risk adverse like . Lucky enough to sit next to Davis for an hour he came across as a terribly nice guy . Very Normal and down to earth .

spurshero wrote: »
    I played a game of cards with doherty and Davis one night and If they mind the rest of there Money as well as they minded the 200 or so both had in front of them then there doing ok ! Weren’t too risk adverse like . Lucky enough to sit next to Davis for an hour he came across as a terribly nice guy . Very Normal and down to earth .

Met Taylor at a pool tournament in Limerick. Also White in a nightclub. Friend said there is Jimmy. Didn't believe him until I looked. We tried to get into the Rack later claiming we were Tony Meyo (spl?)

• Advertisement

Dunno about the amounts but Davis surely made plenty over the years even with the likes of the Mosconi Cup, I'm sure he wasn't turning up for 5 grand a day. :pac:

At the end of the day if they were sensible from the start and bought a few properties then they should be very nicely set now. 20 years on media salaries (even only a few months a year) will cover a few mortgages.

Met Taylor at a pool tournament in Limerick. Also White in a nightclub. Friend said there is Jimmy. Didn't believe him until I looked. We tried to get into the Rack later claiming we were Tony Meyo (spl?)

The "italian stallion" Tony Meo!

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Dunno about the amounts but Davis surely made plenty over the years even with the likes of the Mosconi Cup, I'm sure he wasn't turning up for 5 grand a day. :pac:

At the end of the day if they were sensible from the start and bought a few properties then they should be very nicely set now. 20 years on media salaries (even only a few months a year) will cover a few mortgages.

Sure Higgins and White only got free booze during the Mosconi Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

In the eighties when there wasn't much football on telly, snooker was bigger and Davis featured in many advertising campaigns for one of the main coffee brands and photocopier company. I don't remember Hendry featuring in many ad campaigns or any others as football became bigger in 90's. I also heard Davis received 8 grand for signing autographs in Nutgrove SC, huge queue to meet him, I was there, in the mid 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dunno, basically 4 weeks work a year, hard to see could be making fortunes through the media tbh. ..

And with the amount of former players now commentating, youd wonder how any of them make any money off of it,

• Advertisement

Tomaldo wrote: »
    In the eighties when there wasn't much football on telly, snooker was bigger and Davis featured in many advertising campaigns for one of the main coffee brands and photocopier company. I don't remember Hendry featuring in many ad campaigns or any others as football became bigger in 90's. I also heard Davis received 8 grand for signing autographs in Nutgrove SC, huge queue to meet him, I was there, in the mid 80's.

No way. Barry Hearns must have been cleaning up then?

The "italian stallion" Tony Meo!

We were laughing outside the strip joint trying to get in while Jimmy was inside. Think he fecked off to Castleconnel the next day.

4 weeks is only 2 tournaments. Surely there was more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To know the net worth of someone you need to have an accurate knowledge of their income over time, investments and outgoings...

Nobody knows that. The article is just throwing numbers around.

Strumms wrote: »
    To know the net worth of someone you need to have an accurate knowledge of their income over time, investments and outgoings...

Nobody knows that. The article is just throwing numbers around.

I agree it is an idiot article.

4 weeks is only 2 tournaments. Surely there was more.

Loads of tournaments but the bbc only televises 3 which works out a bit over 4 weeks a year which is all Davis and Taylor do. So while the bbc is known to pay some hefty salaries, i still doubt you'll rack up significant sums off that workload.

There's no doubt davis in particular has earned pretty tasty sums. A good read is Gordon Burns seminal Pocket Money which gives good insight into the deals barry hearn was making in the 80s for some eyepopping sums. Though, like The Boomtown Rats, they never managed to break America which is where the big pots of gold lay.

The corporate money now is all in china where I'd bet ronnie could make a mint spending a month there a year, but how many players are that marketable? Very few. Now or even in the past. Taylor has lived off the 85 final for 35 years now and has surely made good money off it, but the figures quoted in that article just sound ludicrous to me anyway.

And with the amount of former players now commentating, youd wonder how any of them make any money off of it,

There really is some amount of them alright between the three stations. I'd say it's decent enough money but whether you'd make a living entirely off it is another matter. For the likes of Ken and McManus who are working all the stations and commentating at every single tournament, i imagine they're doing alright out of it.

No way. Barry Hearns must have been cleaning up then?

Yeah he was, he had 7 of the top players at the time in his Matchroom stable which didn't include Alex Higgins. They even had a top 20 hit with Snooker Loopy. Some time later cigarette companies were banned from sponsoring the tourneys and prize money diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d have expected the Sheriff of Pottingham to be in the top ten at least. One of the greats.

Yeah he was, he had 7 of the top players at the time in his Matchroom stable which didn't include Alex Higgins. They even had a top 20 hit with Snooker Loopy. Some time later cigarette companies were banned from sponsoring the tourneys and prize money diminished.

Wonder how much Jimmy Brown got for been sponsored by HP?

• Advertisement

Wonder how much Jimmy Brown got for been sponsored by HP?

I don't know but he was in some hair-growth product ad and it worked, he has a fine head of hair now but he was going bald in his twenties.

I don't know but he was in some hair-growth product ad and it worked, he has a fine head of hair now but he was going bald in his twenties.

Haha didn't know that. More than likely Rooney style. If Willy Thorn hair grew back, Ibe impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What a bullsh*it list.......

Poor Willie Thorne died broke.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What a bullsh*it list.......

Poor Willie Thorne died broke.

Just about to post, he was bankrupt and relying on friends for hand outs when he died

. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/snooker/willie-thorne-bankruptcy-debt-details-22217113.amp

His family, though somewhat sceptical, will be glad to hear he was worth 10.3m dollars in January.

Haha didn't know that. More than likely Rooney style. If Willy Thorn hair grew back, Ibe impressed.

Ah, poor Willie, he lost a lot gambling, maybe that caused his hair-loss, before leukaemia took him.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Bullsh1t.
    Heres a more accurate list. https://www.sportekz.com/list/richest-snooker-players/Although its based on career prize money only

Bullsh1t.
    Heres a more accurate list. https://www.sportekz.com/list/richest-snooker-players/Although its based on career prize money only

That list looks more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Davis is on the board of match room and is on the world snooker board as well so I'd imagine he certainly did invest well

Would have thought Chas and Dave got the record sales?

• Advertisement

Did you ask Steve if he knew Justin Edinburgh?

Advertisement