Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a hand tattoo?

Options
  • 21-04-2021 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭

So I was vaguely thinking of getting a tattoo on my hand.

Always a tricky one.

I'm in my 40s, have a full sleeve on one arm and numerous other tattoos around my body and other arm, but they are all able to be hidden. I would work in a professional / office type job, and am well established (there 13 years this year).

The last year has proven that for the most part I can do my job remotely. Our place is all about "bring your whole self to work", so while a hand tattoo might be an extreme version of that, it would still be in keeping with that ethos (at least, that would be my argument!). I wouldn't be in the office 9-5 usually anyway, so would operate sort of under the radar optically. Given that I can see myself spending around 70% of my future working time at home, something like a hand tattoo might just be doable.

I had considered that if I had to go to outside client meetings (which I would be suited and booted for) I could wrap cloth around my hand as you would for an injury. For clients who know me well, I probably wouldn't bother.

Has anyone experience to share about hand tattoos, and what they had to do to work around / with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I have sleeves, back pieces, a finger tattoo and a hand tattoo, both done overseas. Truth be told they were much more accepted over there, no one really bats an eyelid only perhaps just to ask meaning/representation/ if they hurt.

I moved back home and went into the corporate world and you'd swear I had killed someones Nana with the grimaces and dirty looks. In my neck of the Irish woods hand/neck/face tattoo's arent well-received yet. I have been treated differently because I have ink and that's not okay.

In some meetings I found myself purposefully keeping my hands under the table, wearing long sleeves in summer and hesitating for handshakes. I did all this out of fear of judgement. I realise shouldn't; out of a work environment, I wear my ink with pride and love and do not succumb to conservative thinking.

If you want it, go for it. I adore mine, would never change them. F what anyone else thinks.

Advertisement