Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone here take Vitamin K2 supplements?

Options
  • 17-03-2021 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What's your take on K2? Given that it seems to be mostly from animal products.

I wonder if these are worth a go: https://www.veganicity.com/Vitamin-K2-100mcg.html

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

If ye don't take K2 supplements - how do ye try to get K2? Via Natto or similar? What would be the best way to consume natto - dried, powder, etc?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Japanese people eat it mixed with a raw egg and rice traditionally but you could probably make a vegan soup/stew out of it or I'd imagine someone has creatively made a nice way to eat it. It is somewhat of an acquired taste and many people can't stomach it as it smells like really smelly feet/socks. Cooking it will reduce the smelliness but if you live with other people they'll probably ask who died. I don't think it's hard to make your own.

My favourite is cheonggukjang which is Korean fermented soybeans. Luckily we found some in an Asian market here. My other half makes a stew out of it once or twice a week. It's my favourite Korean stew. Id imagine it's got k2 as it uses the same bacteria to ferment as natto. Couldn't find any literature on it but all the granny's eat it in Korea as a health food.

There's also k2 in sauerkraut and kimchi. I read in a paper a while back that our gut flora can convert approximately 30% of what is needed from k1.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Japanese people eat it mixed with a raw egg and rice traditionally but you could probably make a vegan soup/stew out of it or I'd imagine someone has creatively made a nice way to eat it. It is somewhat of an acquired taste and many people can't stomach it as it smells like really smelly feet/socks. Cooking it will reduce the smelliness but if you live with other people they'll probably ask who died. I don't think it's hard to make your own.

My favourite is cheonggukjang which is Korean fermented soybeans. Luckily we found some in an Asian market here. My other half makes a stew out of it once or twice a week. It's my favourite Korean stew. Id imagine it's got k2 as it uses the same bacteria to ferment as natto. Couldn't find any literature on it but all the granny's eat it in Korea as a health food.

There's also k2 in sauerkraut and kimchi. I read in a paper a while back that our gut flora can convert approximately 30% of what is needed from k1.

Hi Bigbooty. Natto sounds horrible. I've tried sauerkraut - didn't like it. Kimchi seems to have far less K2 than natto.

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Bigbooty. Natto sounds horrible. I've tried sauerkraut - didn't like it. Kimchi seems to have far less K2 than natto.

That's unfortunate that you don't like sauerkraut.. you definitely won't like natto then! Probably easier to supplement if you're not keen on fermented foods. I must admit I do really enjoy fermented foods so I tend to be a bit noseblind to the smell.

vitamins d and K2

I did see this product which might be worth looking at. Nearly three months supply in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was thinking about it before and got natto, after tasting it I decided that I would do without, for the rest of my life. my god that stuff tastes foul.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

K2 are in fermented foods, isn't tempeh for example fermented?
    I am assuming you're vegan...

Tempeh isn't a viable source of k2 as it doesn't use the lactobacillus bacterium, but a Rhizopus fungal culture to ferment it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mia2013

I eat natto from time to time. I would mix it with rice or some cooked grains (cold) and add chopped onion and tomatoes sometimes some greens and add salad dressing. The thing is to mix the beans on their own good few times, it changes the taste slightly but creates the slimy film. Mixed with above is not too bad, i actually quite like it. But that is the thing with natto you either like it or hate it.

If not eating natto for too long I would supplement with D3+K2 (MK7) during winter months. Would take it with food that have some fat / oil in it. Durig summer if you eat loads of greens you shodul be OK, someone mentioned it above our bodies should make some K2 from K1.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

One thing missing from label is what version of K2.
    I would only opt for MK7

• Advertisement

markmoto wrote: »
    I would only opt for MK7

Hi markmoto. Good point! I don't see it here either: https://www.veganicity.com/images/product/vitamink2100g_1.jpg

markmoto wrote: »
    I would only opt for MK7

Why only MK7?

I've since found out that this particular K2 supplement is MK9.

Why only MK7?

I've since found out that this particular K2 supplement is MK9.

Supplements should have that printed on label. I found out that cheap synthetic versions of supplements usually lack of comprehensive information on labels.
    I would avoid this particular brand.

I refered to mk7 for better bio-availability vs mk4. (cant comment on mk9)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3502319/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Be aware of issues with K2 and Warfarin.

looksee wrote: »
    Be aware of issues with K2 and Warfarin.

Good point. Warfarin have many side effects and usually substitute with Ticagrelor in Ireland these days.

Advertisement