Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Somebody stupid making decisions in Arizona. Insane giving Watt that money at his age and coming off two relatively ordinary seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Arizona will go nowhere as long as Kingsbury is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

Crazy money for Watt. 23m guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

cosatron wrote: »

Great deal for Watt though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mad money for Arizona to be paying wyatt but if someone was offering me 23 million guaranteed I’d take it. He’d be stupid to turn it down.

I see that Alex smith will be done in Washington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

ShyMets wrote: »
    Great deal for Watt though

Duno a bit if sb chasing would have done the legacy no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't think it is that crazy for him, just crazy for a team that has so many holes and didn't have much space to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Even the way he announced it on twitter was cringey. JJ Watt is insufferable and up his own hole, and the most cringeworthy character in the league, which is an astonishing achievement in an NFL landscape that includes Russell Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

Even the way he announced it on twitter was cringey. JJ Watt is insufferable and up his own hole, and the most cringeworthy character in the league, which is an astonishing achievement in an NFL landscape that includes Russell Wilson.
    hard to beat russell and his magic water.

hard to beat russell and his magic water.

Not sure which medical claim was more mental - the magic water or when a player claimed that their CTE was 'fixed'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not sure which medical claim was more mental - the magic water or when a player claimed that their CTE was 'fixed'.

I dare say anyone who listens to Rob Gronkowski for medical advice deserves what's coming to them.

I'd rather ask Tyreek Hill for parenting advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He can be quite over bearing, but he has also done serious charity work in Houston. Good with the bad. I'm surprised he chose Az, would've figured he'd chase a ring.

Kyles Van Noy and Rudolph also released, mayhap BB double dips in that demographic.

He can be quite over bearing, but he has also done serious charity work in Houston. Good with the bad. I'm surprised he chose Az, would've figured he'd chase a ring.

Kyles Van Noy and Rudolph also released, mayhap BB double dips in that demographic.

It would make a lot of sense to bring back VanNoy with the likely high number of new pieces due to the rebuild they'll be going through and how much experience he has with the team.

He is the exact type of profile of a player that could get low balled this year - good but not great, not much upside, and in a non-highly valued position. It will leave a lot of guys on one year deals - though for once I'm not sure how enticing the Patriots will be for that type of player who wants a big payday the following year, they'll likely need to offer a longer term, less team friendly deal to get them (which they can after paying their cap price last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Big Ben signs new deal with Steelers for 2021 season

paulie21 wrote: »
    Big Ben signs new deal with Steelers for 2021 season

Steelers didn't have many options but I expected a lot more than just a $5m pay cut by him to stay around.

It looks like they're creating more space by adding a dummy year but keeping him costs in total ~$36m over the next 2 years, even if he only plays in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’m a little surprised Ben wanted to come back tbh, roster is about to be gutted in free agency, they are heading in to 2-3 years of rebuilding, and they have one of the toughest schedules in the league next year. I don’t see this retirement tour going very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’m a little surprised Ben wanted to come back tbh, roster is about to be gutted in free agency, they are heading in to 2-3 years of rebuilding, and they have one of the toughest schedules in the league next year. I don’t see this retirement tour going very well.

The cash certainly focussed his mind anyway.

The cash certainly focussed his mind anyway.

He has already made over $200m, I doubt money is the motivation, I could be wrong of course. My guess is that he doesn’t want that Cleveland game to be his last, trouble is they can’t put the team around him now, holes everywhere, poor draft position, no cap space etc.

He has already made over $200m, I doubt money is the motivation, I could be wrong of course. My guess is that he doesn’t want that Cleveland game to be his last, trouble is they can’t put the team around him now, holes everywhere, poor draft position, no cap space etc.

Perhaps, but he will literally do nothing else ever again. He won;'t coach, he won't be a pundit... Another tríocha would pad out the lifestyle.

Wasn't his cap hit incredibly prohibitive if he was cut anyway for you guys?

Perhaps, but he will literally do nothing else ever again. He won;'t coach, he won't be a pundit... Another tríocha would pad out the lifestyle.

Wasn't his cap hit incredibly prohibitive if he was cut anyway for you guys?

$22m in dead money if he retired because of his original signing bonus and a restructure, he is playing for $14m this year, with most of that kicked in to 2022 when he almost certainly retires via another signing bonus.

I know it got ugly for him towards the end of the year but he was clearly playing hurt and they had no run game at all to lean on. He was pretty good all year, especially in the redzone. If they can get him a running game and keep him upright it might not be a total disaster this year. They have a lot of work to do though.

• Advertisement

$22m in dead money if he retired because of his original signing bonus and a restructure, he is playing for $14m this year, with most of that kicked in to 2022 when he almost certainly retires via another signing bonus.

I know it got ugly for him towards the end of the year but he was clearly playing hurt and they had no run game at all to lean on. He was pretty good all year, especially in the redzone. If they can get him a running game and keep him upright it might not be a total disaster this year. They have a lot of work to do though.

It wasn't even a total disaster last year. Bar the meltdown in the first Quarter of WC game against the Browns the season was one of over achievement.

Either way, is this not the draft to grab his replacement?

It wasn't even a total disaster last year. Bar the meltdown in the first Quarter of WC game against the Browns the season was one of over achievement.

Either way, is this not the draft to grab his replacement?

Anybody worth drafting will be gone by the time they pick and they have too many holes to trade up and burn draft capital. It’ll have to wait another year I would think, unless somebody falls unexpectedly.

What will the Broncos do at 1.9? I see a lot of mocks have them taking a CB, I would have thought they’d be moving on from Lock

Anybody worth drafting will be gone by the time they pick and they have too many holes to trade up and burn draft capital. It’ll have to wait another year I would think, unless somebody falls unexpectedly.

What will the Broncos do at 1.9? I see a lot of mocks have them taking a CB, I would have thought they’d be moving on from Lock

I'm still hoping against hope that it will be the Texans drafting at 1.9.

I'm still hoping against hope that it will be the Texans drafting at 1.9.

I don’t see it, albeit he’d be a great fit in Denver with all those young receivers

Oh absolutely.

But I need to have something to hold onto to take me through these post-SB times.

We're in a weird spot, we will never get a better chance to bag someone of his quality at this point in a career.

But the value placed on draft picks by some GMs is so goddam high it breaks my brain.

Some of my fellow Broncos on reddit are gas thinking that he's not worth a haul and that we should persevere with Drew...

We won a SB in 2016... and then what? This has been the most excruciating period of my life supporting the Broncos.

Mortgage 2028 for a few playoff runs.

---

From a Watson POV, he would be mad to stay in the AFC never mind come to the AFCW.

Want a ring? Go to the NFC. Simples.

There's a lot of QB's with a lot if potential in this draft. Obviously some won't work out but that goes for the guys that'll go at the top of the draft too.
    My favourite QB in this draft is Mac Jones because I think he has a very high football iq and enough tools to be successful.
    You've also got Track, Mond and Newman who all could work out. There's not much in my estimation between Kyle Trask and what rookie of the year Justin Herbert showed coming out if college.
    Herbert had a 66.8 completion percentage throwing for 3471 yards with 32 tds and 6 ints.
    Trask had a 69.8 completion rate throwing for 4283 yards with 43 TDs and 8 ints.
    You could argue that Trask has been more impressive as he played in the SEC.
    Trask is projected as a second rounder.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's a lot of QB's with a lot if potential in this draft. Obviously some won't work out but that goes for the guys that'll go at the top of the draft too.
    My favourite QB in this draft is Mac Jones because I think he has a very high football iq and enough tools to be successful.
    You've also got Track, Mond and Newman who all could work out. There's not much in my estimation between Kyle Trask and what rookie of the year Justin Herbert showed coming out if college.
    Herbert had a 66.8 completion percentage throwing for 3471 yards with 32 tds and 6 ints.
    Trask had a 69.8 completion rate throwing for 4283 yards with 43 TDs and 8 ints.

Cheers eagle eye I don’t watch college football at all so I don’t know much about the prospects except what I see in the mock drafts etc. I know there’s potentially a few good ones but lots of teams looking for QB’s, even outside the top 10 Bears, Pats, Steelers, Saints all need one.

Judging college QBs against each other by their stat lines couldn't be a worse way to do an analysis, so it is no wonder it resulted in that terrible comparison.

Trask and Herbert couldn't be more different prospects:
    - Herbert was a star athlete, whereas Trask barely hits the minimum to be an NFL QB (and that is quite a low bar)
    - Herbert had no weapons, whereas Trask will likely have 2 of his main targets go in the top 40 picks
    - Herbert had terrible coaching, whereas Trask's OC was just snapped up into the NFL

Any of the 3 you mentioned could become starters (from the people I trust Mond is the most likely of them) but like every year, each tier you go down the less likely you are for the QB to be a success when another pick at a different position is much more likely to 'hit'.

Trying to equate Trask with the 6th pick from last year and best performing rookie is utter nonsense.

Foxtrol wrote:
    Trying to equate Trask with the 6th pick from last year and best performing rookie is utter nonsense.
    Another insult.

My comparison is based on the eye test. I've watched both play many times.

I'm not comparing the LA Chargers QB with Trask, I'm comparing the Oregon Ducks QB with him.
    The stats are very much in favour of Trask but I didn't say he was better than him, I compared them. As regards their work in the pocket they are very similar.
    Herbert has better wheels for sure but he doesn't use them that often and he certainly didn't at Oregon.
    You are in my opinion the clueless one in this conversation. I don't ever remember seeing you post in the college football threads so I'd guess you don't watch college football and are just going off stats.

• Advertisement

Another insult.

My comparison is based on the eye test. I've watched both play many times.

I'm not comparing the LA Chargers QB with Trask, I'm comparing the Oregon Ducks QB with him.
    The stats are very much in favour of Trask but I didn't say he was better than him, I compared them. As regards their work in the pocket they are very similar.
    Herbert has better wheels for sure but he doesn't use them that often and he certainly didn't at Oregon.
    You are in my opinion the clueless one in this conversation. I don't ever remember seeing you post in the college football threads so I'd guess you don't watch college football and are just going off stats.

How is calling an opinion nonsense an insult? :confused:

My points above were all related to Herbert the Oregon QB - he had terrible coaching and no weapons. Context matters when looking at players but even more so for QBs, which seems to be a consistent issue with you regarding how you assess QBs.

The difference in athleticism between the two goes far, far beyond having wheels. Trask's arm is barely NFL level while Herbert's was always incredibly strong - here he is throwing 62 yards flat footed while at Oregon, whereas I've seen Trask struggle with getting balls to the numbers and nearly every deep throw floats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-gG_g_vFPQ&ab_channel=NFLSeason

I'm not sure how I'm the clueless one, when Herbert was a consensus early 1st round pick by nearly every person that earns a living analyzing the draft and since draft season kicked off Trask hasn't been getting near even the tail end of the 1st among that same group. Do you throw out these QB 'hot takes' each year hoping one day a certain one will hit that you'll be able to hang your hat on? Your hit rate isn't great.

Advertisement