Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Saddles

• 05-11-2020 1:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice for selling some GP saddles that are no longer needed. They're in good condition, so wouldn't need any work done. Any recommendations for good websites/FB pages would be appreciated, or would it be better to just bring them to a tack shop who might buy them (again, recommendations appreciated).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you're looking for a sale with less hassle, it might be worth seeing if a saddler will buy them? I'm not sure whether they offer full value or not, but selling things to the general public on the likes of Facebook can be a headache with all the "I'll give you €20 for it", or "I'll swap you for a leaf and a pebble", then the people who ask 110 questions and randomly stop replying, the people who say they'll take it in five months time, and then there's always someone who tells you to donate them to charity.

I haven't actually sold anything, by the way, but I've had a few friends try to do tack room clear outs. One of them actually just ended up giving things away for considerably less than what she wanted for them, just because it was the first reasonable person she came across and didn't want the hassle of dealing with any other tyre kickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Hi there, selling saddles is no different to selling anything online. You will always get some time wasters, but I both buy and sell saddles online. The preloved tack facebook page is good, so is marketplace, and done deal. Some saddlers will sell for you on a commission basis. I actually listed a berney saddle on done deal last night and sold it this morning. Does not usually happen so quick, but there are positive stories along with the negative. Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've a load of older saddles I want to sell as well, I'm going to advertise them on the marketplace on Facebook as I've had a lot of success selling on it and very little timewasters.

We're actually in the market for a nice 17/17.5" saddle Covert, have you any that size?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don’t understand people buying and selling second hand saddles at all. Saddles need to be the correct fit for the horse or pony or you will wreck their back. Saddlers and tack shops that have a range of saddles either new or second hand is the only way I would go. The horse needs to be measured properly and the saddle fit those measurements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A lot of owners will buy new saddles without having their horses measured, while experienced people will also know their horses' measurements, and know what saddles will/will not work. Additionally, some owners bring the horse with them when purchasing the saddles to ensure it fits, or will have a 'buy/fit and return' agreement with the tack shop/seller if it isn't suitable.

It is also important to bear in mind that new saddles can change shape, so what fits when you walk out of the shop with it may not fit the horse if and when this happens.

And let's not forget that the saddle must also fit the rider, too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement