Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording

• 11-10-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Not sure if I am in the right place for this but I will give it a go anyway.

I have a soundcraft signature 10 mixer, I know that I can record into my pc via the usb.

What I would like to know is can I record into a zoom recorder or a minidisc recorder straight from the mixer into the recording device.

The signature 10 may be able to but I have not been able to figure it out if it does.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi!
    Yes, you should be able to record into the Zoom (model please? ) by connecting the main XLR outputs to the Line In inputs on the Zoom.

To do this, two XLR (F) to TRS 1/4" cables will be required.

Not sure about MiniDisk, depends on the connectors. Also, MDs use ATRAC data compression, so not the best candidate for production recording.
    Cheers, TM

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

TroutMask wrote: »
    Hi!
    Yes, you should be able to record into the Zoom (model please? ) by connecting the main XLR outputs to the Line In inputs on the Zoom.

To do this, two XLR (F) to TRS 1/4" cables will be required.

Not sure about MiniDisk, depends on the connectors. Also, MDs use ATRAC data compression, so not the best candidate for production recording.
    Cheers, TM

Hi troutmask thanks for the reply.
    I don't have the zoom yet. I didn't want to buy one incase it wouldn't work, I do have the minidisc recorder.

Probably should have mentioned that the 2 xlr to trs are actually plugged into the speakers I have.

Can I still record into the zoom or minidisc even though I am using the xlr for the speakers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi again,
    There's no easy way to get two versions of the full master mix out of that thing.
    The easiest way is to use a USB into a laptop and record the 2 track master mix into some DAW like Cubase or Reaper.
    You can set up a mix on the Aux sends, but that won't have the effects, and it's a messy way of doing things.

It could be done with a splitter. If you need flexibility (and a better sound than Soundcraft) then the Yamaha MG series mixers (like the MG10XU etc.) has much more ins and outs—even a dedicated monitor out with its own fader.

Advertisement