Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swimming in Sligo and Mayo

• 17-09-2020 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I’ve just moved to Enniscrone about a month ago, and am keen to get involved in some open water swimming. I often see groups heading out from the pier and along the buoys, but I’ve tried searching on google and Facebook to see if there are clubs or organised groups and haven’t found anything.

I don’t really know anyone in the area, and not keen to go out solo given all of the guidance against this. Should I just stroll over in the hope there’ll be groups there and ask if I can join them from a distance? Are there any Enniscrone natives on here that could show me the ropes?

Experience wise, I’ve done a bit of pool swimming for fitness over the years but by no means a regular, and never in open water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

comete wrote: »
    I’ve just moved to Enniscrone about a month ago, and am keen to get involved in some open water swimming. I often see groups heading out from the pier and along the buoys, but I’ve tried searching on google and Facebook to see if there are clubs or organised groups and haven’t found anything.

I don’t really know anyone in the area, and not keen to go out solo given all of the guidance against this. Should I just stroll over in the hope there’ll be groups there and ask if I can join them from a distance? Are there any Enniscrone natives on here that could show me the ropes?

Experience wise, I’ve done a bit of pool swimming for fitness over the years but by no means a regular, and never in open water.

Prob a bit late but enniscrone swimming group should've shown up on fb...tri swim west also obviously this time of year there's very little organised going on your probably sorted by now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Thanks for the reply :)

I’ve been going down a few times a week since posting that and there are always a handful of people knocking around which is good. Dislocated my shoulder about 6 weeks ago which set me back a bit but have been back in the water for a few lengths of the pier in the past week or so, and will try to keep it up through the rest of winter, however bracing it is!

Hoping to step it up a bit more next year so will try to hook up with some groups!

Advertisement