Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would Irish men in the British army do if Britain got involved in a war with Irl

• 21-08-2020 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭

What do you think men and women from the republic of Ireland (who are in the British army) would do if Britain went to war with Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pgj2015 wrote: »
    What do you think men and women from the republic of Ireland (who are in the British army) would do if Britain went to war with Ireland?

join in or be shot for treason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

What would Irish people in USA do iif Ireland declared war on America?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭pgj2015

same goes for Irish in the Legion. like I wonder was there any Irish fighting for the Legion against the Irish peace keepers in the siege of Jadotville?

blackbox wrote: »
    What would Irish people in USA do iif Ireland declared war on America?

move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

same goes for Irish in the Legion. like I wonder was there any Irish fighting for the Legion against the Irish peace keepers in the siege of Jadotville?
    The French Foreign Legion was not involved on either side of that conflict. Some of the mercenaries involved may have been ex-Legionnaires but, none of them are likely to have been Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭sparky42

Ah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Back in the day, British policy was that Irish regiments were sent out to India, and Ireland was garrisoned with regiments from GB. The thinking behind this is obvious.

So, in the unlikely event of the UK and Ireland going to war, I think the UK would try not to face risks that it doesn't need to face, and would not send Irish members of the UK forces to the front line. By the same token if they had to fight against India or Nepal they would be unlikely to call on their Gurkha regiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

To the Mitty forum with this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The French Foreign Legion was not involved on either side of that conflict. Some of the mercenaries involved may have been ex-Legionnaires but, none of them are likely to have been Irish.

Quite a number of "mercs" in tbe Congo were French Foreign Legion troops on "gardening leave, with the express knowledge and consent of the French government, much like the Russian "grey men " in Crimea a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

This would never happen and so not an issue for those who join to actually consider. To answer your hypothetical, Irish regiments tended to serve outside of Ireland both in the 19th century and more recently in the troubles, during which Irish regiments were effectively exempt from having to do NI tours. They weren't put in that position and individuals in non Irish regiments who were themselves Irish could get posted else where if they wanted. That said I believe the IG and did a tour near the very end of the troubles but other then that they weren't asked to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

A lot of Irish died for England in first and second war
    Some now would join the IRA and others would join British army

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChbwVrEczg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What happened last time...

https://www.irishpost.com/entertainment/10-facts-about-the-irish-men-who-fought-for-the-british-during-the-1916-easter-rising-66507

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-20390885.html
    Irishmen made up 35 per cent of the British military fatalities incurred during the Rising (41 out of the 117 military deaths) and 29 per cent of the wounded (106 out of the 357 military wounded).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Townton wrote: »
    This would never happen and so not an issue for those who join to actually consider. To answer your hypothetical, Irish regiments tended to serve outside of Ireland both in the 19th century and more recently in the troubles, during which Irish regiments were effectively exempt from having to do NI tours. They weren't put in that position and individuals in non Irish regiments who were themselves Irish could get posted else where if they wanted. That said I believe the IG and did a tour near the very end of the troubles but other then that they weren't asked to.

The UDR, the RIR and the royal irish rangers served in NI and as far as I can understand are considered " Irish" regiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The UDR, the RIR and the royal irish rangers served in NI and as far as I can understand are considered " Irish" regiments.

they all recruited in northern ireland.

Well the hint is in the name UDR and I think you will find it was a protestant organisation made up of local men that were being much biased in regards who they were fighting against and why.

In regards sending Irish to the north, they were alledgedly peacekeeping in their own country. Not invading their country of birth.

not as crazy as people might think. They have invaded before and tensions were high in the 70s.

Couldn't any Irish soldier claim conscientious observer?

not as crazy as people might think. They have invaded before and tensions were high in the 70s.

Couldn't any Irish soldier claim conscientious observer?

It is also obvious they despise us over Brexit, they want us to follow them out of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://www.joe.ie/news/theres-significant-increase-number-irish-people-joining-british-army-572578#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20Belfast%20Telegraph,Republic%20between%202013%20and%202015.
    In 2016 The British Army’s Irish Guards, named Naomh Pádraig, were allowed to compete in the London junior football championship for the first time, despite a late bid to have the decision to allow them compete reversed.

Historically under Rule 21, members of the British security forces were forbidden from being members of the GAA and this rule was only changed back in 2001.

Well the hint is in the name UDR and I think you will find it was a protestant organisation made up of local men that were being much biased in regards who they were fighting against and why.

In regards sending Irish to the north, they were alledgedly peacekeeping in their own country. Not invading their country of birth.

All three regiments had people who were recruited from the South. The UDR had a lot less Southerners than the RIR and the royal irish rangers. The UDR was at first made up of ex B specials.

I think anyone who joins a British army regiment swears allegiance to the UK and is paid by the UK so that is where their loyalty would be.

All three regiments had people who were recruited from the South. The UDR had a lot less Southerners than the RIR and the royal irish rangers. The UDR was at first made up of ex B specials.

I think anyone who joins a British army regiment swears allegiance to the UK and is paid by the UK so that is where their loyalty would be.

I would be amazed if the udr had more than short term token Catholics.

They were still peacekeeping, not invading

• Advertisement

I would be amazed if the udr had more than short term token Catholics.

They were still peacekeeping, not invading

The UDR were there to support the state to stabilise it for the UK government.
    They were seen as an armed wing of reactionary Unionism. I dont think there role was ever described as peacekeeping even by the UK government. Certainly in Nationalist areas they were not seen as an impartial force and for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It is also obvious they despise us over Brexit, they want us to follow them out of the EU.

True enough. A destabilized UK might do anything. During the second world war Irish men there were faced with that likely possibility.
    Front what I was told their answers varied.

Some felt that they had thrown in their lot with Britain and would do nothing to change it. Others would leave/desert and some said they would sabotage whatever they could there. More than likely most would have been rounded up and interned in advance.

The UDR were there to support the state to stabilise it for the UK government.
    They were seen as an armed wing of reactionary Unionism. I dont think there role was ever described as peacekeeping even by the UK government. Certainly in Nationalist areas they were not seen as an impartial force and for good reason.

You going to just continue with the nonsense? I'm well aware of their role and How they were viewed. That's my exact point about the likelihood of a southern irishman joining a northern volunteer force

Were they invading a foreign nation? No. Were they in home soil to restore civil order? Yes. Simple as. So it's not the same regardless of terms used.

You going to just continue with the nonsense? I'm well aware of their role and How they were viewed. That's my exact point about the likelihood of a southern irishman joining a northern volunteer force

Were they invading a foreign nation? No. Were they in home soil to restore civil order? Yes. Simple as. So it's not the same regardless of terms used.

There were plenty of southerners in 'Irish regiments". They served in these regiments in the north. So many southerners in the BA operated in that context in a way that was hostile to Irish people and their loyalty was to the UK

You seem to keep using words like peacekeeping and invading in the context of the six counties so I assumed that you had no knowledge of what happened there.

There were plenty of southerners in 'Irish regiments". They served in these regiments in the north. So many southerners in the BA operated in that context in a way that was hostile to Irish people and their loyalty was to the UK

You seem to keep using words like peacekeeping and invading in the context of the six counties so I assumed that you had no knowledge of what happened there.

More nonsense. Grand. I won't bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

If it was an actual mobilization of European Union forces against The United Kingdom then any non native military personnel would be placed in protected custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If it was an actual mobilization of European Union forces against The United Kingdom then any non native military personnel would be placed in protected custody.

surely only those born in EU countries? I cant image them locking up the Gurkhas.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Shoot Mehole Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

UDR was effectively a TA unit so was based in NI the RIR were the rangers at the time and did not serve in NI. Two were emalgmated in the late 92 to form the RIR of today who did have reserves in NI. The reserves were effectively the UDR and the regulars were formally the Rangers. Latter did not serve in NI the reserves obviously did and were then dispanded circa 2007 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Peregrinus wrote: »

Mad Mick Hoare died only this year.

Advertisement