Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭woody84

The Diversion deal fell through but I just bought a 07 Fazer. Just waiting to get the VRT sorted so I have the reg no. for the insurance. Hoping they dont make a song and dance about insuring it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

Probably flogging a dead horse, but anyway, here goes. Used to ride a bike many year's ago, a Honda 50, and would like to ride one again ( Honda 50 cc or equivalent, or scooter etc) my driving licence covers up to 50cc and I'm in my 60's. Have well lost any NCB that I had, but have very good car NCB ( I know that might be irrelevant )
    Depending on how this works out ( if it even does ) I'd be looking to go down the larger cc bike, training, test etc. later on. What would an experienced biker recommend? Any advice ( what would you advise as a good starter bike? ) Or would you recommend going for the bigger bike first and forget all about the 50cc one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jmreire wrote: »
    Probably flogging a dead horse, but anyway, here goes. Used to ride a bike many year's ago, a Honda 50, and would like to ride one again ( Honda 50 cc or equivalent, or scooter etc) my driving licence covers up to 50cc and I'm in my 60's. Have well lost any NCB that I had, but have very good car NCB ( I know that might be irrelevant )
    Depending on how this works out ( if it even does ) I'd be looking to go down the larger cc bike, training, test etc. later on. What would an experienced biker recommend? Any advice ( what would you advise as a good starter bike? ) Or would you recommend going for the bigger bike first and forget all about the 50cc one?

Learner permit, ibt get the full A and go from there.

Get a bike you will be comfortable with so go out and sit on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

Learner permit, ibt get the full A and go from there.

Get a bike you will be comfortable with so go out and sit on some.

Thanks Punisher5112, So say a relatively small ( 250-400 ) cc bike, what would I expect to have to pay for insurance on it? Would basically be a beginner ( even a 60 year old one...:rolleyes: ) An approximate ball park figure would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I presume if I change to a different bike mid stream I will have to stay with my present insurer, and won't be able to shop around till my year is up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You could cancel the policy and take out a new one with a different Insurer. But you will lose the progress towards another years no claims bonus and would have to use whatever years NCB you had (if you have any) before you incepted the policy which you are cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

woody84 wrote: »
    The Diversion deal fell through but I just bought a 07 Fazer. Just waiting to get the VRT sorted so I have the reg no. for the insurance. Hoping they dont make a song and dance about insuring it

you can insure it on the current UK plates before it gets VRT'd,
    just let them know that you will be updating the policy within a month with an irish numberplate.

That's what I did anyway!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 on2wheels

23, xj6, principal, 5 penalty points (declared of course), 4 years NCB, full A.

355 yoyos but after talking the price down (they went with 540ish first, CN offered 460, and back to principal).

Garaged, fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

37 yo male 2nd learner permit, 0 NCB as 1st time insured on bike.
    2012 FZ6s Fazer - value €4K garaged, no alarm/immob fitted.
    3 penalty points from car :rolleyes:
    €548 third party fire and theft with CN (was quoted €771 for Comp)
    Got the injury cover as well for an extra €41 - hopefully never needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

37 yo male 2nd learner permit, 0 NCB as 1st time insured on bike.
    2012 FZ6s Fazer - value €4K garaged, no alarm/immob fitted.
    3 penalty points from car :rolleyes:
    €548 third party fire and theft with CN (was quoted €771 for Comp)
    Got the injury cover as well for an extra €41 - hopefully never needed!!

Jesus that's a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

honda boi wrote: »
    Jesus that's a good price

Yeah I was happy with it so what was supposed to be a get a quote to compare with other insurers call ended with policy paid for and in place.

Excited to pick up the bike at the weekend now! :D

Just got insured with Principal
    35 year old
    2007 Fazer 600
    1st learner permit
    No NCB
    €540 Full Comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

35 year old
    2007 Fazer 600
    1st learner permit
    No NCB
    €540 Full Comp.

That is cheap.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    That is cheap.

Yeah. Pays to haggle the hell out of them

Yeah. Pays to haggle the hell out of them

Fair play. Mine was 599. Similar profile but older. I'll be pushing harder next year

Some of them were crazy quotes. Liberty wouldn't even quote me on the fazer

Some of them were crazy quotes. Liberty wouldn't even quote me on the fazer

Same as that. Nothing above 500cc.

Coulda got it cheaper if I wasn't going to use it for commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Principal are opening an Irish arm to enable them to stay in the market post brexit. Going through central bank approval for license presently.

listermint wrote: »
    Principal are opening an Irish arm to enable them to stay in the market post brexit. Going through central bank approval for license presently.

Good news I suppose. The more competition the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Good news I suppose. The more competition the better

Principal (underwritten by AXA)
    Carole Nash
    Liberty
    AXA Direct.

These are all that is left in the bike insurance market, we have lost MCE in the last year or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Carole Nash
    35, Full Licence, 9yrs NCB
    650 Deauville
    Valkyrie Interstate
    Social, Domestic and commuting, carrying pillion
    €363 initial offer in the post today
    Fully Comp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

35 year old
    2007 Fazer 600
    1st learner permit
    No NCB
    €540 Full Comp.

Just off the phone to both principal and CN, I'm basically the same as you, and neither of them would quote me for a cbr600f4i which I'd consider a fairly similar bike to the fzr. Pain in the arse. Liberty said no ages back, do I have any other options?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just off the phone to both principal and CN, I'm basically the same as you, and neither of them would quote me for a cbr600f4i which I'd consider a fairly similar bike to the fzr. Pain in the arse. Liberty said no ages back, do I have any other options?

AXA

AXA

Both principal and CN are now underwritten by AXA now

Both principal and CN are now underwritten by AXA now

That’s irrelevant, I was with Principal this year when my renewal came through via AXA at €490, AXA direct quoted me €365 later reduced to €340

That’s irrelevant, I was with Principal this year when my renewal came through via AXA at €490, AXA direct quoted me €365 later reduced to €340

Thanks, I just called them. They would only quote me if I go on to do some sort of advanced course on top of the ibt that I just just did last week,, and the quotes then were 860e if I do not ride the bike in Dublin at all, or 1250e for limited use around Dublin. And I live in Wicklow so the 1st quote isn't much use. Ouch.

Thanks, I just called them. They would only quote me if I go on to do some sort of advanced course on top of the ibt that I just just did last week,, and the quotes then were 860e if I do not ride the bike in Dublin at all, or 1250e for limited use around Dublin. And I live in Wicklow so the 1st quote isn't much use. Ouch.

Yes the rider assessment course. I had to do it myself. The quotes do seem steep. Are you young? Forgive me if you already stated. The Dublin restriction seems odd, never heard of it.

Yes the rider assessment course. I had to do it myself. The quotes do seem steep. Are you young? Forgive me if you already stated. The Dublin restriction seems odd, never heard of it.

34yrs old, I've driven a moped back in the day so know the bike hazards on the roads, and spent years racing motocross so the cbr600f isn't a problem for me, but will be a pain in the arse to have to be on some lower power bike until I get my full licence then be changing bikes again etc.

• Advertisement

34yrs old, I've driven a moped back in the day so know the bike hazards on the roads, and spent years racing motocross so the cbr600f isn't a problem for me, but will be a pain in the arse to have to be on some lower power bike until I get my full licence then be changing bikes again etc.

Seems excessive for your age. They don’t care about back in the day Unless you have the proof such as a full licence and McSweeney, they’ll just load you otherwise l. Would you consider a different bike for the first year? I’ve an sv 650 ‘it’s a grand job

Advertisement