Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi all. Heading for 7th trip in February. Have done a day's skiing in Ponte De Legno / Adamello in northern Italy before but was wondering if anyone has any hotel & ski hire recommendations for the area?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mollser

<edit> - moved to Aer Lingus thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

*Rushes into thread

ITS SNOWING SOLL!!!!!

and ye know, probably in other places in europe too

woot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All - Apologies if this has been asked before. Can someone help out with ideas of where to go for Skiing.
    Complete novice, forty, good bit of after ski craic, relatively cheap, dates around new year so December 27th for a week.
    Thanks in Advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

That's the most expensive time of year so if looking to do it cheap you'd have to aim for the cheaper places - andorra, bulgaria, poland, could be a couple of others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I'm booked up for next year. Heading back to Soll for a week in Jan. Have only done day trips there for the last few years and miss the pints. Then I've 1 week in hof/tux in March and the following week in Fieberbrunn to finish the season.

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All - Apologies if this has been asked before. Can someone help out with ideas of where to go for Skiing.
    Complete novice, forty, good bit of after ski craic, relatively cheap, dates around new year so December 27th for a week.
    Thanks in Advance.

If you are going on your own keep an eye out on the travel agent sites I have gotten deals like €400 for flights accommodation and transfers to some place like soll after that you will have lessons and ski hire you will be looking at €1000 all in. I recommend soll as it is cheaper than other places but it is also fairly laid back and has a lot of english speakers the beginner slope is nice an gentle and big, Westendorf has a good beginner slope too very near the centre of the town

If you fly into Munich a 45min train ride will get you to the main munich train station and from there are trains towards innsbruck are every 45 minutes the ticket machines have an english setting train fares are cheap. these will stop at kuifstein or Worgl and Worgl has taxis and a local bus service that will get you to Soll Hopfgarten Westendorf Sheffau and other resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

sheesh wrote: »
    If you are going on your own keep an eye out on the travel agent sites I have gotten deals like €400 for flights accommodation and transfers to some place like soll after that you will have lessons and ski hire you will be looking at €1000 all in. I recommend soll as it is cheaper than other places but it is also fairly laid back and has a lot of english speakers the beginner slope is nice an gentle and big, Westendorf has a good beginner slope too very near the centre of the town

If you fly into Munich a 45min train ride will get you to the main munich train station and from there are trains towards innsbruck are every 45 minutes the ticket machines have an english setting train fares are cheap. these will stop at kuifstein or Worgl and Worgl has taxis and a local bus service that will get you to Soll Hopfgarten Westendorf Sheffau and other resorts.

Can you tell me some of the sites I should check - Sorry I am clueless !

Multiple fronts to bring snow to the Alps next week, looks like it could be a good start to the season. Small bit tempted as I've come free in work but only the small glacier area open. Should probably save the pass for a time with more mileage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

kal7 wrote: »
    Regarding ski hire, all three main companies do 40% or thereabouts off if you book early and online.

Ski 2000
    intersport
    skiset

there may be other as well

https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental Are good for discounted rental. Have used them a few times. Got some very decent deals. There's usually a discount floating around, or email for group prices.

Picked up the kiddie ski gear in Lidl today! GETTING very excited! It's the young fella's 3 year now, and herself will be starting. Hope she takes to it...
    Watching the snow in Tirol, it's bucketing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'm looking to do a ski trip for a couple of days around the 20/2 to the 24/2. Can't seem to find accommodation anywhere in Austria or France. Any suggestions on how to go about finding somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'm looking to do a ski trip for a couple of days around the 20/2 to the 24/2. Can't seem to find accommodation anywhere in Austria or France. Any suggestions on how to go about finding somewhere?

Mid-term always a challenge unless you go full week.
    Try booking.com on your selected dates.
    Alternatively think about staying slightly outside the resort eg Innsbruck where there is less of a “full week” trade.

It's usually the larger or snazzier places that will do a few days. I'd say give the tourist office a shout. I'm a fan of Saalbach/Hinterglemm. They'll have online availability, but worth sending an email - they will contact smaller B&Bs etc too.

The other thing is a lot of resorts, particularly the Austrian ones, wont take a booking for less than a week in advance- they'll hold out for a full week, until just prior to the time. So you may have more joy if you're willing to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Thanks for the tips !

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

a148pro wrote: »
    The other thing is a lot of resorts, particularly the Austrian ones, wont take a booking for less than a week in advance- they'll hold out for a full week, until just prior to the time. So you may have more joy if you're willing to wait.

I'm in the same boat. I've booked a February week in St Anton but want 2 or 3 days skiing elsewhere. No availability being shown at target resorts now unless I want to pay 300+ per night.

My plan is to book a round trip with baggage for the St Anton week + a couple of days chill down (Beers in the alps) and a One Way without baggage in hopes of finding a place to stay closer to the day.

If I find a place, I'll add baggage to the one way. If I don't, the airline wins my bet on finding a place.

In a bunch of years doing it DIY and looking in advance, on my experience you'll be grand. If you search on the Friday before you go there'll be very few options. Search again on Saturday night early Sunday and suddenly there'll be loads more options as the lads holding out for a week take what they can get.

The resort websites are also great - you put in your details for a "non binding request". The resort circulates your details among accommodation owners and they send you emails with offers, often very good value and good location.

You're flexible as well and I assume will have a car so could stay in one of the satellite towns further down the valley. Where you thinking? Ischgl next valley over is class if you haven't been before. I think montafon is near too and I've wanted to give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Just rolled the dice on 4 nights in Bulgaria (Borovets) from 27-31 Dec. Got flights and accommodation for €380. Looking like about €500pp all told. Hoping I get more than what I pay for with the skiing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

Just rolled the dice on 4 nights in Bulgaria (Borovets) from 27-31 Dec. Got flights and accommodation for €380. Looking like about €500pp all told. Hoping I get more than what I pay for with the skiing...
    Never been to Bulgaria....did similar dates about 10 yrs ago in Czech Republic and the crowds were massive. And same in any Austrian resorts on those dates too. Mad queues for the main gondola every morning.
    On the positive side, there is lots of snow at the moment in Europe so I'm sure it'll be grand for a few days.
    Nice to have a sneaky trip to look forward too.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Never been to Bulgaria....did similar dates about 10 yrs ago in Czech Republic and the crowds were massive. And same in any Austrian resorts on those dates too. Mad queues for the main gondola every morning.
    On the positive side, there is lots of snow at the moment in Europe so I'm sure it'll be grand for a few days.
    Nice to have a sneaky trip to look forward too.
    Enjoy

Yeah, went to Poiana Brasov in Romania last year around the same time. The skiing was pretty decent for the price but there was 1 occasion where we queued an hour for the gondola. Fine on the slope but the services at the base were a bit overwhelmed.

I've read that Bulgarians ski more after New year's than Christmas time so I'll just cross my fingers. Have a week in Söll at the end of Feb if it's all a disaster anyway.

As happens with Ski trips, mine has gone from 2 pax --> 5 overnight so I need to change the hire car. Currently have a Tiguan (or similiar) rented. Just curious what have other people hired for 5 people & luggage?

Thanks!

I'd say get two cars if someone else will drive, it'll be cheaper? 7 seaters, unless theyre a van, which probably won't be great craic to drive, don't tend to have great luggage space

Booked a Volvo XC60 in the end and we're going to bring 3 carry on & 2 suitcases so should be fine. Getting excited now for Passo del Tonale in late February.

Booked a Volvo XC60 in the end and we're going to bring 3 carry on & 2 suitcases so should be fine. Getting excited now for Passo del Tonale in late February.

Definitely plenty of room. Will take more luggage than that! Middle seat is not the most comfortable, so make sure you don't get stuck there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Has anyone any pointers / apartment rental companies names when it comes to Sunday - Sunday rental in France?

There's a few popping up on booking.com and some very cheap and cheerful on Pierre et Vacances but the majority of inventory from operators seems to be Sat - Sat. This year we're trying to work a Sun - Sun trip (would consider hotel or chalet stays too at a reasonable price).

Having done a lot of Austrian trips previously it's definitely been easier to do DIY/odd dates there.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone any pointers / apartment rental companies names when it comes to Sunday - Sunday rental in France?

There's a few popping up on booking.com and some very cheap and cheerful on Pierre et Vacances but the majority of inventory from operators seems to be Sat - Sat. This year we're trying to work a Sun - Sun trip (would consider hotel or chalet stays too at a reasonable price).

Having done a lot of Austrian trips previously it's definitely been easier to do DIY/odd dates there.

Thanks in advance.

The only other operator that springs to mind is nemea but not sure how big they are. I've done 4 days in p & v before but maybe it was low season so they allowed it? I suspect the problem with sun to sun is you're potentially taking up 2 of their weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

Thanks in advance.

Maybe contact the local tourist office, they will know straight away which, if any, appartment blocks do Sun to Sun.
    The other obvious option is Italy through a tour operator, as their flights to Italy all seem to go out on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

Outrageous snow in last two weeks. Like a full half season's worth in many places.

Advertisement