Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

• 19-09-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0919/994679-metal-merchants-metallica-to-rock-slane-castle-in-2019/
    Legendary LA metal heads Metallica are expected to be announced as the headline act for a major gig next summer at Slane Castle.

According to The Irish Sun, the hugely popular act plan to include a summer date in along the banks of the Boyne in Meath as part of their sprawling WorldWired Tour.

James Hetfield, Robert Trujillo, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett had already told their millions of fans that they’ll be staging a European stadium tour from May to August 2019.

On the back of that announcement, a music industry insider told the newspaper: "Heavy rock has always been the biggest draw for Slane.

"Metallica are the perfect choice for 2019 as they go right back to the heavy rock of Thin Lizzy who headlined the very first Slane in 1981."

Edit: Ah, It's The Irish Sun "breaking" it. Probably right but... y'know....

OK. so, what do ya think?

I think it's actually pretty cool. Pretty retro maybe but, say what you want, they should rock the joint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Slane Castle have posted a picture of Metallica with the tag 'ready to rock?' so safe to say it's confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

MCD really need to get there heads together and get top class support and not some on the cheap

We all want the likes of Ghost/Volbeat/Slash/Shinedown etc and we will prob end up getting The Academic/Coronas and Bressie

Never went to slane and was a not a big fan of outdoor field gigs but enjoyed Queen in Marlay Park last July so might give it a go. Saves the hassle of flying and booking hotels in the UK/Europe. Should be a few Direct buses going from places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    MCD really need to get there heads together and get top class support and not some on the cheap

We all want the likes of Ghost/Volbeat/Slash/Shinedown etc and we will prob end up getting The Academic/Coronas and Bressie

Never went to slane and was a not a big fan of outdoor field gigs but enjoyed Queen in Marlay Park last July so might give it a go. Saves the hassle of flying and booking hotels in the UK/Europe. Should be a few Direct buses going from places

Chilli peppers had an amazing support line up in 04 i think?

Queens of the stone age, foo fighters, PJ Harvey, Feeder. With Frusciante playing Guitar as well. Oh!

Edit: actually 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Slane Castle have posted a picture of Metallica with the tag 'ready to rock?' so safe to say it's confirmed.

Beware of the fake Slane Castle FB page. The real page has just posted this update.

(Obviously it seems that Metallica will play but no official confirm from Slane themselves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Queens of the stone age, foo fighters, PJ Harvey, Feeder. With Frusciante playing Guitar as well. Oh!

That lineup was insanely good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember being at that one. CP were, by far, the poorest on that day.

I remember being at that one. CP were, by far, the poorest on that day.

I had to sell my ticket to go play a Gaelic Football semi final on that day for my club, which I got dropped for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Don't forget Morcheeba!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Pelvis wrote: »
    Don't forget Morcheeba!!

What about Hailite????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have seen the RHCP 3 times. Twice in Ireland and once in US. Still haven't seen a good one. In US and second time in Ireland the sound was poor and first time in Ireland their set was ridiculously short. Also Soundgarden were meant to support them but pulled out and were never replaced.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have seen the RHCP 3 times. Twice in Ireland and once in US. Still haven't seen a good one. In US and second time in Ireland the sound was poor and first time in Ireland their set was ridiculously short. Also Soundgarden were meant to support them but pulled out and were never replaced.

I've seen them 6/7 times and the best they have been is in the 3Arena, big outdoor venues don't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Chili Peppers saw Ireland as a cash cow and milked this country for everything it was worth.

Always baffled me how that Universally Speaking tune became our temporary national anthem for a few years. Was on a couple of the main stream radio stations a few times per day for a few years, on ads, tv shows etc.

Hitler was right. Its big lie stuff. The bigger the lie, the more people will be forced to believe it.

MCD/Mount Charles work off a similar playbook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

threein99 wrote: »
    I've seen them 6/7 times and the best they have been is in the 3Arena, big outdoor venues don't suit them.

You may be right there. Metallica on the other hand are epic at both. The best gig I ever attended is still Metallica at the point depot in 1994. (or could have been 1992).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

You may be right there. Metallica on the other hand are epic at both. The best gig I ever attended is still Metallica at the point depot in 1994. (or could have been 1992).
    You can say whatever you want about Metallica as people, or even as artists at this stage in their career. One thing that can't be denied though, is the strength and size of their live shows. There's never bad sound, always a good pyro etc, always a great setlist. I've seen them 9 times now I think, and never left disappointed.
    One positive of the Black Album and subsequent crossover into the mainstream is that their live shows have become military operations. Just a big rumbling relentless machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Saw them at Glastonbury 2014 and they were immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Seen them a couple of times have gone off them after Thier last couple of albums but will definitely hit this. Amazing live show. Support act would absolutely love Greta Van Fleet

Setlists are great at the moment. Whiplash, Hit the Lights, Battery, Sanitarium, Orion.

More importantly though, Hetfield grew his handlebar tasche back!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Noooo i thought after guns n roses I was done with slane!

Its the last big act I really wanna see and my boyf is mad to see them too.
    Think we'll have to stay in dublin if its true as that bus back to cork is horrendous...

sammyjo90 wrote: »

Think we'll have to stay in dublin if its true as that bus back to cork is horrendous...

Why not go somewhere cool like Berlin or Stockholm instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

The Nal wrote: »
    Why not go somewhere cool like Berlin or Stockholm instead?

Days off are hard to come by unfortunately and we said we'd try go if its ireland as we normally have to spend a friday or a monday flying somewhere. We shall see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sammyjo90 wrote: »

If/when it's announced, look at camping in Slane if ye drive. If I go it's what I'll do, no way am I ever bussing back to cork after Slane again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder if they still have the fanbase to sell it out. Plenty of Metallica fans would be in their 50s now and Shane remains a pain in the hole of a venue to get to and back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I never in a million years thought Metallica would be big enough in Ireland to play Slane. Shows how much I know I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I never in a million years thought Metallica would be big enough in Ireland to play Slane. Shows how much I know I guess

I get the feeling it's one they know won't sell out, but will sell enough to make it worth everyone's while.

Between length since last gig here, casual fans who'll go to see them, those who'll go cos it's Slane...can see a respectable number attending. Shocked if it sold out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Will come down to the support I'd say.

Someone like slash and myles Kennedy, Alice in chains, royal blood and an Irish band. The minutes maybe, or otherkin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

D.Q wrote: »
    Will come down to the support I'd say.

Someone like slash and myles Kennedy, Alice in chains, royal blood and an Irish band. The minutes maybe, or otherkin again.

Knowing Irish promoters, they'd put someone like f*&king Mundy on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭corm500

Been a while since there has been a decent support bill for Slane. MCD do things on the cheap these days, apart from the ticket prices that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It won't be a sell out anyway. Too much hassle going to that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gotta laugh at people complaining about the hassle of going to Slane. If you live in the north west of the country, EVERYWHERE is a hassle to get to. Catch yerselves on.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Penfailed wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at people complaining about the hassle of going to Slane. If you live in the north west of the country, EVERYWHERE is a hassle to get to. Catch yerselves on.

No one gives a **** about people in the North West.

Advertisement