Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air Accident / Incident thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Updated the video a few posts back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

http://www.aaiu.ie/node/987

ACCIDENT: Cessna T182T, N247P, at Blackstairs Mt. Co. Carlow, Ireland 24 May 2015: REPORT 2016-016

An avoidable accident. I can't understand why someone would take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met them at many a fly in along with the dogs. hard to read these reports when you can put a name/face to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

The photo of the wreckage was particularly hard to view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Flight path was not recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

I hope the Australian Federal Police catch these guys.

From BBC:
    Australian police are investigating 15 hoax transmissions made to planes over Melbourne, including one that forced a flight to abort its landing.
    From ABC (with audio):
    A hoax caller impersonated a pilot of a light aircraft issuing a mayday call and pretending to be experiencing engine trouble.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I bet they already have the location, any half decent VDF equipment will nail them down to a fairly precise location, now all police have to do is go through some boxes of CCTV recordings and voilà .. should be much simpler than dealing with laser attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

martinsvi wrote: »
    I bet they already have the location, any half decent VDF equipment will nail them down to a fairly precise location, now all police have to do is go through some boxes of CCTV recordings and voilà .. should be much simpler than dealing with laser attacks

I don't know? It is reported there have been 15 hoax call over a few weeks with the possibility of a portable transceiver being used. The person or persons could have driven from anywhere, carried out their dastardly deeds from any location in VHF range and driven away again. Unless the law enforcers are within meters of the offenders when the act is being carried out I would say not any easy task to apprehend them.
    Even if the offending transceiver is found trying to prove who was actually using it when the offense was being committed is other 'question of law.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I don't know? It is reported there have been 15 hoax call over a few weeks with the possibility of a portable transceiver being used. The person or persons could have driven from anywhere, carried out their dastardly deeds from any location in VHF range and driven away again. Unless the law enforcers are within meters of the offenders when the act is being carried out I would say not any easy task to apprehend them.
    Even if the offending transceiver is found trying to prove who was actually using it when the offense was being committed is other 'question of law.'

the thing is the range for VHF hand helds is quite poor for ground to ground comms. If the tower picked them up, they must have been close, like within 20NM or so. Any time anyone transmits mayday, ATC will try to get a VDF lock, if the equipment is there... in this case when ATC says "I can see you out there", he means just that - he has a lock on him on the radar. The rest is up to police - yeap, it will take number of these calls to gather evidence and nail him down. If he's driving around, that's even better - same vehicle spotted on CCTV in 7-10 areas where the calls came from- you have a bingo! You have OCR in traffic cameras these days, you don't need someone spotting the car, you just have to do a bit of data mining, provided the data is recorded and you're done! proving the fact just comes down to comparing voices from the recording to the suspects voice.. This has happened before, in US, a guy decided to mess around with prison radios.. he's in jail now.. really not that difficult if the will is there.. just takes a bit of time and bit of data mining

• Advertisement

Where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him?:eek:

Aeromexico Connect E190 enroute on Nov 6th 2016, snake on a plane:
    An Aeromexico Connect Embraer ERJ-190, registration XA-GAG performing flight 5D-231/AM-231 from Torreon to Mexico City (Mexico), was enroute when a snake, likely a Gopher snake, appeared near the overhead lockers and fell down into the cabin. The flight crew requested priority and performed a safe landing in Mexico City.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Buffman wrote: »
    Where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him?:eek:

Aeromexico Connect E190 enroute on Nov 6th 2016, snake on a plane:
    An Aeromexico Connect Embraer ERJ-190, registration XA-GAG performing flight 5D-231/AM-231 from Torreon to Mexico City (Mexico), was enroute when a snake, likely a Gopher snake, appeared near the overhead lockers and fell down into the cabin. The flight crew requested priority and performed a safe landing in Mexico City.
    Holy Jesus, I would be locking myself in the toilet, NOPE no f*cking way would I be near that

Locker10a wrote: »
    Holy Jesus, I would be locking myself in the toilet, NOPE no f*cking way would I be near that

Ye, luckily it seems there was no major panic on board. The Daily Fail are doing their usual with the story though.

Reminds me of a fatal Let L-410 crash a few years ago caused by weight imbalance due to the passengers fleeing a crocodile on board. Ironically the crocodile reportedly survived the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Lucky escape for the Cessna crew, and an alert Dash-8 crew. Read down through the comments and you'll see the pilot of the Cessna chimes in with his thoughts on the whole thing.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a0c9e6f&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

The report into the crash which claimed the lives of some of the Bin Laden family in Blackbushe when the aircraft overshot the runway.

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-embraer-emb-505-phenom-300-hz-ibn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

The report into the crash which claimed the lives of some of the Bin Laden family in Blackbushe when the aircraft overshot the runway.

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-embraer-emb-505-phenom-300-hz-ibn

The accident demonstrates the usefulness of having a co-pilot, so he can ask the pilot what exactly the f*ck he thinks he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

cml387 wrote: »
    The accident demonstrates the usefulness of having a co-pilot, so he can ask the pilot what exactly the f*ck he thinks he's doing.

I'm afraid there has been a number of disasters where 'if only the first officer had questioned what the captain was doing' this may never have happened.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just scanned through the report, it's a challenging read.

It's reassuring that the operator has changed the way they operate the aircraft, and now don't operate single crewed unless the sector is short, and not demanding. That looks like a good move.

It was a long time ago now, but I can still remember times of very high workload when operating single crewed in IFR airspace, and that was in an aircraft with a much lower speed range, and I also remember well just how high the workload was when in the circuit with a number of considerably slower aircraft operating at the same time.

The other factors that didn't help was that the approach had to be visual, which again increased the workload, and the runway was relatively short, so there was no margin for the sort of issue that eventually led to the accident. The absence of a controller to provide positive guidance to the aircraft in the circuit was another negative influence.

Very thought provoking reading.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

31372919932_35a87508b4_c.jpg
    I was in HZ-IBN chatting to a different pilot before it crashed, even with the technology available i was surprised that they were operating this aircraft to Europe single pilot. Under normal conditions it wouldn't be too much of an issue with the exception of boredom, but when things go wrong I could imagine the workload becoming excessive rather quickly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

smurfjed wrote: »
    I was in HZ-IBN chatting to a different pilot before it crashed, even with the technology available i was surprised that they were operating this aircraft to Europe single pilot. Under normal conditions it wouldn't be too much of an issue with the exception of boredom, but when things go wrong I could imagine the workload becoming excessive rather quickly.

Indeed. My instinct is that the problem was a high performance fast jet operating in uncontrolled airspace, without the guidance and separation that is normally provided by ATC, made worse by the very close proximity of a number of other airfields.
    When you're working hard to get speeds down, and possibly height off, which isn't easy in a slippery jet, it can be very hard to suddenly get a TCAS alert from traffic that's moving at much less than half your speed, and there's not much space available to take avoiding action. Microlights doing 60 Kts and a jet doing over 170 Kts in an uncontrolled circuit pattern is not a comfortable mix, and for sure it will cause a lot of problems if single crewed.

I may be wrong on this, but the impression I am getting of the Phenom is that you can descend, or slow down, but you can't do both at the same time, and it looks horribly like he was trying to do that, and then it got worse as a result of the avoidance needed with the microlight, which would not have been a factor in the same way in a controlled environment. I find myself wondering if TCAS is an appropriate system to have active in an uncontrolled traffic pattern where there is such a disparity in performance and speeds, and where the options for avoidance are so limited because of the altitude and circuit limitations. The standard pattern heights are 800 Ft for single engine and 1200 Fr for twins and exec aircraft, so TCAS is going to have an issue with that, but there's little real alternative with all the other restrictions there are in that airspace, between other airfields quite close, and the TMA base not far above, there's not much space there to work with, and certainly not enough for IFR separations, which is what TCAS is working with.

Not nice, in any way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]A British Airways Airbus A320-200, registration G-EUUM performing flight BA-749 from Basel/Mulhouse (Switzerland/France) to London Heathrow,EN (UK), was holding short of Basel's runway 15 in fog.[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]At the time a Piper PA-34 Seneca II was on final ILS approach to runway 15. The PA-34 went around, however, did not climb out, impacted the ground to the left of the runway and burst into flames at 17:41L (16:41Z).[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]The A320 crew advised tower that the aircraft on the go around had just about cleared their flight deck passing overhead their aircraft. Tower confirmed seeing the PA-34 "really low" overflying the A320, tower apologized that the A320 needed to wait now.[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]Emergency Services reported two bodies were recovered from the PA-34, the pilot and a passenger.[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]Basel Airport was closed following the crash of the PA-34. The A320 returned to the apron about 45 minutes after the crash. Flight BA-749 was subsequently postponed to the next day.[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]Although NOTAMs do not indicate the airport is closed, latest information is the airport will remain closed until 23:00L stranding a good number of soccer fans returning to the UK after the match between Basel and Arsenal London on Dec 6th.[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]Related NOTAM (editorial note: time stamps missing):[/font]
    [font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]A5486/16 - ILS MH RWY 15 U/S FOR MAINTENANCE DO NOT USE, WRONG INDICATIONS POSSIBLE[/font]

[font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]Metars:[/font]
    [font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]LFSB 071730Z 00000KT 0300 R15/0600U R33/0600N FZFG VV/// M01/M01 Q1035 NOSIG[/font]
    [font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]LFSB 071700Z VRB02KT 0300 R15/0650N R33/0650N FZFG VV/// M01/M01 Q1035 NOSIG[/font]
    [font=Times, "Time New Roman", sans-serif]LFSB 071630Z 35004KT 320V020 0350 R15/0900D R33/0800D FZFG VV/// M01/M01 Q1035 NOSIG[/font]
    http://avherald.com/h?article=4a1c549a&opt=0
    Doesn't look like the sort of weather a PA34 should be flying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Has the report on the helicopter incident in Abbeyshrule been published yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any idea when the new Air Crash investigates will air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

LAMIA RJ85 preliminary report has been published.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a16583c/0016&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

any idea when the new Air Crash investigates will air?

The latest season only finished quite recently, about 2 months ago. Was quite a short season this time, only 6 eps or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

john boye wrote: »
    The latest season only finished quite recently, about 2 months ago. Was quite a short season this time, only 6 eps or so

They split this season up,the other 4 will be out Feb/March or May/June i would guess.
    This was the last update i seen
    First 6 episodes aired in 2016 while the final 4 air in 2017 (Australia). This list will be regularly updated as more info is known. Season 17 confirmed, will consist of 10x60 minute episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

john boye wrote: »

have ye got a link to the latest ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stealthirl wrote: »
    They split this season up,the other 4 will be out Feb/March or May/June i would guess.
    This was the last update i seen

Just noticed an ad for its return on Monday 23rd January with an episode on the Germany Wings crash.

Looks like it may have finally happened to a commercial aircraft, a bit of a debate on AVH comments as to whether it was actually a drone or some coverup of a ground collision.

LAM B737 at Tete on Jan 5th 2017, collision with a drone
    A LAM Linhas Aereas de Mocambique Boeing 737-700, registration C9-BAQ performing flight TM-136 from Maputo to Tete (Mozambique) with 80 passengers and 6 crew, was on final approach to Tete when the crew heard a loud bang, no abnormal indications followed. The crew suspecting a bird strike continued the approach for a safe landing.

A post flight examination revealed a drone had impacted the right hand side of the radome.
    3BEAF2F900000578-4097180-image-a-39_1483787992750.jpg

Looking at the damage sustained by a C130 a few years ago when it and a UAV collided, it could have been worse.

C-130hole2.jpg

• Advertisement

Buffman wrote: »
    A LAM Linhas Aereas de Mocambique Boeing 737-700, registration C9-BAQ performing flight TM-136 from Maputo to Tete (Mozambique) with 80 passengers and 6 crew, was on final approach to Tete when the crew heard a loud bang, no abnormal indications followed. The crew suspecting a bird strike continued the approach for a safe landing.

A post flight examination revealed a drone had impacted the right hand side of the radome.

An update with additional information on this, looks like the speculation wasn't far wrong.

On Jan 10th 2017 Mozambique's Civil Aviation Authority reported in a press conference in Maputo that they concluded the radome most probably failed as result of a structural failure caused by air flow pressure, contributing factors probably were a defective installation of the radome and inspection of the ribs. A foreign object damage was ruled out. The CAA added, that the radome had been purchased second hand through an American company supplying aircraft parts and components, the radome was installed on the aircraft during major maintenance in South Africa on Jun 27th 2016.

Advertisement