Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wicklow Round - A looped course covering 26 peaks totalling over 100K and over 6,

• 17-01-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi Boards,

I am trying to increase the image and popularity of The Wicklow Round which is a mountain run consisting of a looped course covering 26 of Wicklow’s peaks totalling over 100K in distance and over 6,000M of climb inside 24 hours.

I myself achieved my goal of completing the WR last year and feel that far too few people have taken on this challenge.

I am setting up this thread to answer any questions that you may have about the challenge so feel free to ask away. It really was one of the finest achievements of my life so far and would encourage anyone to try and take it on. It is very tough but with the right planning and training anyone can attempt it!

More info can be found at https://www.imra.ie/wicklowround/ and don’t forget that is it worth 3 UTMB points too.

Thanks,

S2S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Good luck to Matt Davis who is going to have a crack at the round. He is due to start at 3am this Saturday

Matt made a valiant effort but the Round claimed yet another victim. Matt had to bow out after 18 hours at Sheepsbank Bridge due to failing light and worsening weather. We'll done all the same!!

So far this year a group of 2 and a single person have attempted the round this year. Both parties failed which just shows how tough this is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Paul and Pol gave it a good shot. Their attempt did show how finely balanced things can be on the round. Even moderately sub-optimal conditions are enough to throw timings completely off kilter. There is a lot that needs to go right to succeed!

Laurence Colleran and Liam Vines are setting off tomorrow at 2am for a Wicklow Round attempt. The best of luck to them!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Wonder how the lads are getting on. Conditions seem to be pretty good.

Wonder how the lads are getting on. Conditions seem to be pretty good.

There at Lugala now. Then Djouce, then the home stretch. Weather has held for them. They have a very good chance!!!

They finisherd at 22:46 and became the 14th and 15th to ever complete the challenge. Well done

A late in the year attempt is going on right now. The weather is due to come in soon as the visibility will be poor (if not already) and the attempt will be un-supported.

Will be fascinating to see how it plays out!

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/4334

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gav26

I'm thinking of having a bash at the round in the next 12 months or so.
    Any tips on the best time of year?

• Advertisement

May, June and July are optimum. Drop me a mail if you want to have a more in-depth chat about it. gar little at me dot com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gav26 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of having a bash at the round in the next 12 months or so.
    Any tips on the best time of year?
    If you haven't read it already, Moire O'Sullivan's Mud, Sweat And Tears is a really enjoyable read/journey, and by virtue of documenting her experiences, would be a very useful read for anyone considering the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

If you haven't read it already, Moire O'Sullivan's Mud, Sweat And Tears is a really enjoyable read/journey, and by virtue of documenting her experiences, would be a very useful read for anyone considering the round.

+1 to that, Moires book is a great read about the detailed prep that she did for it, she's one determined lady.

Coincidently, I just read Karina Joninas account of her journey to completing the Wicklow Round last night.

Moire and Karina are the only women to have completed the round. Karina holds the female record and was the only person to complete the round in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Neady83 wrote: »
    Coincidently, I just read Karina Joninas account of her journey to completing the Wicklow Round last night.

Moire and Karina are the only women to have completed the round. Karina holds the female record and was the only person to complete the round in 2017.
    That was great. Did she write-up her exploits during the round also? Would love to read them.

That was great. Did she write-up her exploits during the round also? Would love to read them.

She only posted about her training on her Blog this week so I'm hoping that the rest is still to come.

She completed the Round on May 6th 2017 and two days later posted the following on the IMRA Forum

"Thanks for all the support, guys :)

After getting frozen on Lug and coming into Drumgoff, thinking I was going to drop out, it was great to hear that people were really supportive and excited to see my attempt!

Picked some challenging weather for myself! I was in a white out for about 14 hours. Could not see anything till about Glenmacnass! I Was very fortunate with favourable wind though, and it calmed down after Mullacor and then it was beautiful as we were going up Scarr! :)

I will write up a proper round report. But for now:

Thank you to Jason Downling for horsing me up Mullacor, Paul O'Callaghan distracting me from the pain of Camaderry, Stephen Brennan for pacing me up Tonagee and for Sarah Brady keeping me company from Glenmacnass to Sheepsbank Bridge! :)

Thanks to my poor family and friends, who probably thought I forgot about them. I have not seen my parents and my brother (10 years old) since Christmas. Thanks for understanding that every weekend had to be spent up on the hills. #nosociallife

A big thank you to Don Hannon, who not only the amazing at head crew, but who also coached me for the Round (the genius behind my performances). No one understands how much moaning, bitching and crying that man has seen during training. Told me to pull my finger out when I needed to and helped me with route choice. Argued with me on when to go and had to have the same conversation over and over and over and over... again! He also paced me home from Sheepsbank Bridge to Prince William Seat!

Here are my splits:

Time/ Cumulative Time/ Time of Day
    Start 02:30:00
    Kippure 00:43:16/ 43:16:00/ 03:13:16
    Carrigavore 00:59:06/ 01:42:23/ 04:12:22
    Gravale 00:27:28/ 02:09:50/ 04:39:50
    Duff Hill 00:24:42/ 02:34:32/ 05:04:32
    East Top 00:28:27/ 03:02:59/ 05:32:59
    Mullaghcleevaun 00:14:50/ 03:17:49/ 05:47:49
    Moanbane 00:43:16/ 04:01:05/ 06:31:05
    Silsean 00:20:22/ 04:21:27/ 06:51:27
    Oakwood 01:36:46/ 05:58:13/ 08:28:13
    Table Mountain 00:52:49/ 06:51:03/ 09:21:02
    Camenbologue 00:15:41/ 07:06:44/ 09:36:43
    Lugnaquilla 00:59:07/ 08:05:51/ 10:35:50
    Corrigasleggaun 00:18:13/ 08:24:03/ 10:54:03
    Carrawaystick 00:21:01/ 08:45:04/ 11:15:04
    Drumgoff 01:03:57/ 09:49:01/ 12:19:01
    Mullacor 00:58:27/ 10:47:28/ 13:17:28
    Derrybawn 00:34:00/ 11:21:28/ 13:51:28
    Camederry 01:22:28/ 12:43:53/ 15:13:56
    Tonelagee 01:16:22/ 14:00:15/ 16:30:18
    Scarr 01:20:59/ 15:21:14/ 17:51:17
    Knocknacl 01:20:28/ 16:41:42/ 19:11:45
    Lugalla 00:46:11/ 17:27:53/ 19:57:56
    Djouce 01:33:35/ 19:01:28/ 21:31:31
    War Hill 00:19:01/ 19:20:29/ 21:50:32
    Tonduff North 00:35:28/ 19:55:57/ 22:26:00
    Prince Williams 01:50:11/ 21:46:07/ 00:16:11
    Knocknagun 00:13:38/ 21:59:45/ 00:29:49
    Finish 00:37:54/ 22:37:39/ 01:07:43
    Total 22:37:43/ 22:37:43/ 01:07:43"

Hi all, some big news in regards to the Round. Joe McConaughy AKA Stringbean, from Boston, USA is taking on the Round this weekend. Joe holds the fastest known time (FKT) for the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail (45 days, 12 hours, and 15 minutes) which is mighty impressive!!

Here is Joe's notice for the attempt: https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/4853

And here is the tracker link which will go live a bit closer to the time: http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround18

Joe, we wish you the best of luck!

S2S

Was so very excited to see this pop up on the forum. The weather is looking good for his attempt and he has Enduro giving him advice so I've no doubt that the record will tumble. It will be exciting to watch.

The very best of luck Joe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Will be surprised if he breaks record. Terrain is pretty tough.

That said, was up there last weekend scouting route for my own attempt and it's remarkably dry up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

WOW some going for Joe if the tracker is correct he is finished!! impressive :)

Some running by Joe. 17:09:44 (subject to confirmation) - a new Wicklow Round record! Well done Joe ‘Stringbean ‘McConaughy !!

• Advertisement

Yup. Record broken by almost 2 hour.

He did it in 17 hours and 9 mins. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

deadly time..how many recces could he do with him living in usa(i assume he lives in usa)

Correction, Enduro's record was 17:53.

Don't think he did many reccees. He did have Enduro tho, who helped.

Looks like they filmed a lot of it so should make for a great video given the weather.

Djoucer wrote: »

Looks like they filmed a lot of it so should make for a great video given the weather.

I hope we get a chance to see the video, it should be great to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Djoucer wrote: »

Just how great is it that the record holder is helping the new guy to smash his own record! Class act!

I was lucky enough to get up to the finish to see him cross the line. I have seen a few finishes up there over the years but nothing like this! Full on film crew and van loads of Columbia crew. It was a bit surreal, especially for the ramdomers driving by! The funniest thing was the Columbia lads asking myself and my brother in law to put on some Columbia jackets as we had North Face gear on ;). He did ask for them back though :(

I think Enduro will give it a lash again. I could be wrong but I always got the impression that he could easily better his record but was just waiting for it to be beaten.
    The film will be released in August this year btw. Cant wait to see it!

Hopefully more attempts this summer and hopefully the Round gets a lot more exposure after all this fan fare, which I think it is lacking.

S2S

Thanks for the update summit2summit, I'm looking forward to seeing the footage. I can imagine the buzz around the finish line. Shame on Columbia for not giving ye the gear ;)

I'm rereading Moire O Sullivans Mud, Sweat and Tears again at the moment to get a feel for the training that she put into her attempt at it.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update summit2summit, I'm looking forward to seeing the footage. I can imagine the buzz around the finish line. Shame on Columbia for not giving ye the gear ;)

I'm rereading Moire O Sullivans Mud, Sweat and Tears again at the moment to get a feel for the training that she put into her attempt at it.

Go on Neady you know you want to ;) I would be there in a shot as part of your crew for support :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarrrr

The rules of the round have been severely tightened. With the 'new' rules the last two successful completions would not be valid but they are leaving the previous attempts alone.

https://www.imra.ie/wicklowround/

Personally speaking, I think its gone far too strict where it's really discouraging more average hikers who would require a lot of support at giving the round a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They haven't been severely tightened, they've always been the unwritten rules of the round since its inception. The two successful completions you refer to in the eyes of many haven't actually been successful completions.

GPS and pacers/trail finders have always been a no-no, and it's not aimed at average, or probably any, hikers.

The round is intended to be a tough challenge, taking away the navigational aspect and adding 'a lot of support' takes away a good chunk of that challenge.

People have spent hundreds of hours up in the hills gaining familiarity of the peaks involved and the optimal routes to take in order to successfully complete it, many falling at their first attempt.

People who rock on up with a GPS or massive crew and helped around the course, that's not the round.

Edit: Actually, it's not even unwritten, "It is against the spirit of the event to have pacing runner or navigational support" has been a long time there on the Wicklow Round page on IMRA.ie and even in Moire O'Sullivan's great Mud, Sweat and Tears from 2011.

Advertisement