Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

megadodge wrote: »
    Nice finish. Bundu is a classy, entertaining boxer, a good European champ but probably a bit short of world champ material.

Really deserves a shot though! I'd definitely pay to watch him!

The rumour is that Golovkin is to be promoted to Super Champion by the WBA and Murray will fight someone for the regular version. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Lads is there anything decent on this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

tunguska wrote: »
    Lads is there anything decent on this weekend?

Eurosport are showing Christian Hammer v Kevin Johnson on Friday evening.

Boxnation have Stuart Hall v Vusi Malinga and Frankie Gavin v Joseph Lamptey on Saturday.

I'll leave it to you to decide if they're worth watching or not :)

And I'm not sure if it's available to watch anywhere but Kiko Martinez takes on Jeffrey Mathebula on Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

el flaco wrote: »
    Eurosport are showing Christian Hammer v Kevin Johnson on Friday evening.

Boxnation have Stuart Hall v Vusi Malinga and Frankie Gavin v Joseph Lamptey on Saturday.

I'll leave it to you to decide if they're worth watching or not :)

And I'm not sure if it's available to watch anywhere but Kiko Martinez takes on Jeffrey Mathebula on Saturday too.

Cool thanks. Probably better off trying to get the "my mate Jay v Audley Harrison" fight going to be honest. It'll be held in Jay's shed, I reckon Audley would go for that if we threw him a few quid.

• Advertisement

I think Hall - Malinga could be worth watching, it's for the IBF Bantanweight title that Jamie McDonnell got stripped of for not fighting Malinga.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Johner wrote: »
    I think Hall - Malinga could be worth watching, it's for the IBF Bantanweight title that Jamie McDonnell got stripped of for not fighting Malinga.

Ya I think there's every chance that could turn into a barnstormer.
    I think the Martinez vs Mathebula fight might be on (Spanish) tv aswell, but not sure what channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Just seen on sky sports Martin Murray fighting for a world title for The wba belt on The undercard of The golovkin fight and he is now The wba super champion. What à load of crap . Beat golovkin and your The champ. I Bet sky will be calling him à world title holder. Pure nonsence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Just seen on sky sports Martin Murray fighting for a world title for The wba belt on The undercard of The golovkin fight and he is now The wba super champion. What à load of crap . Beat golovkin and your The champ. I Bet sky will be calling him à world title holder. Pure nonsence
    He's also fighting a guy for the belt who was knocked out within 2 rounds by Billy Joe Saunders. Should be very comfortable for Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That's the sad state. It won't be long now till Lee and Macklin will somehow become world champions. That will make 4 very average men who are/were being called world champions. Barker/Murray/Lee and Macklin!

• Advertisement

Its à joke tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

It's just a BS title, anyone with half a brain knows Murray is not a genuine champ. Unfortunately, there are a fair few out there who watch who are missing that vital cerebral hemisphere.

What a joke,

Dan Rafael whether you like him or not sums it up well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/6864/more-wba-title-madness
    More WBA title madness

The absurdity of the WBA knows no bounds. I’ve harped on the organizations and their sheer madness and audacity for years -- not to mention putrid rankings, multiple titles and not following their own rules -- but things are just way out of hand now with this particular alphabet soup body.

It’s bad enough that the WBA will sanction as many as four titleholders in the same weight class (for a small sanctioning fee, of course). It has super, regular, unified and interim titleholders. Take your pick. It is just pathetic.

But where it really is ridiculous is when two of its so-called titleholders perform on the same night rather than fighting each other.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter

Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Join »
    On Saturday, light heavyweight titlist Beibut Shumenov, inactive for 18 months (yet allowed to keep his belt) was “elevated” to “super” titleholder and defended the belt against Tamas Kovacs on the big card in San Antonio.

On the very same day in Germany, Juergen Braehmer outpointed Marcus Oliveira -- a massive joke to be fighting for a world title given his woeful résumé -- to win the vacant “regular” title.

Here you had Shumenov and Braehmer, both quality top-10 175-pounders, fighting for belts in the same organization on the same day rather than facing each other.

As bad as that was, it gets even worse on Feb. 1 in Monte Carlo. That is where Gennady Golovkin, also recently “elevated” (which really means another title that the greedy organization can charge another sanctioning fee for) to “super” titleholder, will defend against Osumanu Adama.

On the very same card, England’s Martin Murray (26-1-1, 11 KOs), the interim titlist, will face Australia’s Jarrod Fletcher (17-1, 10 KOs) for the now-vacant “regular” title when Murray really should be facing Golovkin, for whom he was the mandatory. But the WBA didn’t order the fight. Instead, it is content to collect another fee and pass off this fight as a title bout.

It’s insanity, yet the Murray camp made Wednesday’s announcement of the fight with Fletcher -- knocked out in the second round the only time he ever faced a decent opponent in Billy Joe Saunders last year -- out to be some huge deal.

“Martin Murray will look to fulfill his dream of becoming St Helens' first-ever world champion in Monte Carlo on February 1,” the Hatton Promotions press release read.

The winner of that fight won’t be a real world champion. He’ll have a gaudy belt but no credibility as a serious champion. How can the winner be a real world champion when Golovkin (28-0, 25 KOs), in the main event, is active and already holds a title in the same organization?

I can’t blame Murray. Is he supposed to turn down the opportunity? Of course not. He’s already had two other title shots, a draw with Felix Sturm and a tight loss to Sergio Martinez (the real, honest-to-goodness middleweight champ of the world). So from Murray’s point of view, the fight with Fletcher is meaningful, even if to most others it is pointless as far as being a title fight.

“Jarrod Fletcher is a good kid. I've not seen too much of him, but we'll be working on that now we've got a date,” Murray said. “He's got a good pedigree, and he beat [2008 British Olympic gold medalist] James DeGale in the amateurs, which isn't easy and proves he's a good fighter.

"He's going to be well up for this, but I think I'll be the favorite and rightly so, given who I've fought before and how I've done against them. It's going to be interesting for both of us, but I want everyone to know that there's no way I'm coming home to St Helens without that world title.”

Indeed, Murray said “that” world title. Just not a legitimate one, thanks to the WBA’s continuing joke of having multiple belts in the same division.

pac_man wrote: »
    Is the WBA the only organisation who has this 'super' champion status?

Yep.

Murray gets to be a world champion if he beats a guy that Billy Joe Saunders knocked out!:rolleyes:

Ringside discussing Murray. Dave Coldwell: "He deserves an easy chance at a world title." I have heard some garbage in my time, but that takes the cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

walshb wrote: »
    Ringside discussing Murray. Dave Coldwell: "He deserves an easy chance at a world title." I have heard some garbage in my time, but that takes the cake!

True nobody deserves an easy fight for a world title, World titles should be hard to win end of, what we should give him something easy because he fought Sturm and Martinez, lost both aswell i might add he was not robbed vs Sergio i have it to Martinez by a round. And Sturm actually beat him IMO. If Murray wants to be a world champion then he should face GGG, he has had the chance to fight him for ages now. He isn't a world champion if he wins this fight and it's shocking because he guy he is fighting is actually frankly a bum. World Title my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Same deal with Quigg, these clowns are ruining boxing. It ll take a Mayweather or a klitchko to hand back their belts and say 'what's the point holding these, they are meaningless, I'm the champ everyone knows it, I'm not paying these pimps anymore' then we'd have some fun. Would at least promote some debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Same deal with Quigg, these clowns are ruining boxing. It ll take a Mayweather or a klitchko to hand back their belts and say 'what's the point holding these, they are meaningless, I'm the champ everyone knows it, I'm not paying these pimps anymore' then we'd have some fun. Would at least promote some debate.

'World' title fights will always sell better unfortunately, and the networks will always prefer to air a fight with a championship on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Henno30 wrote: »
    'World' title fights will always sell better unfortunately, and the networks will always prefer to air a fight with a championship on the line.

Something has to happen though or the sport will decline. Every non boxing fan I talk to dismisses the sport because they just can't get a handle on who's the champ. This WBA crap is making an awful situation even worse.

The super six was a great idea. Once Ward won everyone knew who the top super middle was. Should be much more of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

It's not being shown live but Sky will be showing the Kiko Martinez fight some time over the next couple of weeks...

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Something has to happen though or the sport will decline. Every non boxing fan I talk to dismisses the sport because they just can't get a handle on who's the champ. This WBA crap is making an awful situation even worse.

The super six was a great idea. Once Ward won everyone knew who the top super middle was. Should be much more of that.

Ward is the almost-consensus P4P #2 and is still not a big name, despite this and winning the super 6. Some casual boxing fans know who Broner is and not Ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Roy Jones Jr. has won the WBU Cruiserweight title after beating Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf in a UD. Another title in another weight class for Roy. Such a legend. People give him stick saying he should retire but he's still a class boxer. Well done Captain Hook! He also saif he still wants to fight Anderson Silva:
    I want to be ready for Anderson Silva in case he beats (Chris) Weidman. Silva has made it clear that if he wins, he wants me next. I'm here for him.That's a fight that intrigues a lot of people, but I can't fight Anderson Silva coming off such a long layoff. So I needed to get a fight first. If it wasn't for Anderson Silva calling me out, I wouldn't be fighting this fight.

What a hero!

Roy Jones Jr. has won the WBU Cruiserweight title after beating Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf in a UD. Another title in another weight class for Roy. Such a legend. People give him stick saying he should retire but he's still a class boxer. Well done Captain Hook! He also saif he still wants to fight Anderson Silva:

What a hero!

I see stuart hall Won The ibf belt. How is that possible Surely one of The weakest world champs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shrobbs

I have a sneaky feeling Mayweather will announce Pacquoia as his opponent on May 3rd.

Check out Floyd's latest offering to the Pacman saga:

From his twitter: https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather/status/415172977429188608/photo/1

BcL9n3sCIAASMC4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

The Cotto and Martinez camps have reached an agreement for a fight next June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Great fight if Martinez still has most of it left he should win, don't no how Cotto will do at 160 i'd go for Sergio to win but nice big fight set for 2014. Also i saw Mccloskey lost to Dave Ryan on the Hall bill, apparently Paul and his team are going to file a complaint to the Board of Control. Did anyone see the fight what are him and his teams complaints about the fight.

• Advertisement

I fancy Cotto tbh...hope the winner fights Canelo.

Advertisement