Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

• 21-07-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Kildare are over-hyped, over-rated, have only one scoring forward, only three decent footballers, were very lucky against Meath, beat a poor Laois team, are all gym merchants, certainly not a top three team, will never beat Dublin and whose manager can be equated to Radovan Karadzic.Its always a good week to learn so much from boards posters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

And you forgot to add it would seem that their fans are the most sensitive in the country, why do you care what some random posters on an internet forum perceive Kildare as?

Results are all that matters, enjoy your countys rise in fortunes rather than seeking plaudits from randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Ah here. Ok maybe I should have added a smilie but this post was just a skit lads/ladys. I thought that might be obvious. I'm not sensitive about it at all. Find it amusing that everyone is talking about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Mods please lock this nonsense.

Agreed but I think its time Kildare fans had their own general discussion thread so I will duly oblige and change the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

blackbelt wrote: »
    Agreed but I think its time Kildare fans had their own general discussion thread so I will duly oblige and change the thread title.

Jesus, not alone are we now top three material, we also have our own discussion thread on boards!!

:D

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    Jesus, not alone are we now top three material, we also have our own discussion thread on boards!!

:D

We've made it. At last. Recognition. Hope it lasts longer than Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

largepants wrote: »
    We've made it. At last. Recognition. Hope it lasts longer than Saturday.

Hopefully we'll roll on for another while yet. I'm starting to forget what I used to do with my Saturdays before our run in the qualifiers.

Long live the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 will21

they have won nothing in 10 years,under the last 4 with the geezer? improving thats all we hear! he will have to go if they dont beat a top team this year,meath are prob the biggest team we have beat in the last 4 yrs, they are just not good enough,would you consider P o neill good enough to be an all ireland winning team,no

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

will21 wrote: »
    they have won nothing in 10 years,under the last 4 with the geezer? improving thats all we hear! he will have to go if they dont beat a top team this year,meath are prob the biggest team we have beat in the last 4 yrs, they are just not good enough,would you consider P o neill good enough to be an all ireland winning team,no

I agree that we need to step up and beat a top team. That is the next stage for this team and hopefully it happens this year. Even if it doesn't however, I would want Geezer to stay. We have made constant improvement under him each year. Granted there were some bad days too with Wicklow '08 and Louth '10 but overall he has definitely improved things for the better. I think you are harsh on PON there too. He's not playing badly and if anything he looks fitter than ever this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

will21 wrote: »
    Would you consider Eoin O'Gara good enough or Michael Quirke???

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Kildare are the 4th best team in the country IMO, and it'll take cork, dub or kerry to knock them out, if they are to be beaten. Expect them to win with a few to spare this weekend. -4pts at 10/11 might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Jesus its great the we have our own thread now, after all this is where sam mcguire belongs!!

just on the betting for the match there seems to be good value on kildare winning by a margin of 4-6 points at 3/1 anyone agree?? or what would your bet be??

I'm not putting a cent on this game, two teams a very unpredictable.

If I was to have a flutter i'd have money on no goals in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It kills me to think what kildare might be with a fully fit squad. So many of our top players missing, you cant help but feel we would cruise through a lot of our matches

ColHol wrote: »
    It kills me to think what kildare might be with a fully fit squad. So many of our top players missing, you cant help but feel we would cruise through a lot of our matches
    Exactly we are crucified with injuries (Dermot Early 2 time all-star, Peter Kelly all-star last year, Hugh Lynch man of the match v Laois, Mikey Conway not fully fit yet).

Kildare team to be announced tommorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

ColHol wrote: »
    Exactly we are crucified with injuries (Dermot Early 2 time all-star, Peter Kelly all-star last year, Hugh Lynch man of the match v Laois, Mikey Conway not fully fit yet).

Kildare team to be announced tommorrow night.
    How long is lynch out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

denlaw wrote: »
    How long is lynch out for?

12 weeks IIRC.

Supposed to be medial ligament damage so I'd imagine he won't be seeing a white jersey for the rest of the year. Its an awful pity as he was starting to go well there and it also would have released JD to the forwards with Flynn coming into the reckoning. Alas its not to be and we'll just have to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I'm not putting a cent on this game, two teams a very unpredictable.

If I was to have a flutter i'd have money on no goals in this game.

Would disagree I think, in Navan last week Kildare were in a few times and blasted shots over the bar.And with o' Connor causing havoc under the high ball I think we will see a Kildare goal anyway.

I respect Derry, but I am confident of a win tomorrow. Kildare by 4ish.

Tickets for Kildare’s crunch qualifier match against Derry tommorrow, Saturday July 23, at Croke Park were stolen during a robbery last night at the Hawkfield training centre and offices outside Newbridge.

Local gardai say that a quantity of tickets for the match were taken during the incident, along with a quantity of cash. The thieves also caused a considerable amount of damage at the training centre.

They broke in through a ground floor window at Hawkfield, and caused a considerable amount of damage to internal doors at the property while breaking into offices.

However, in some good news for Lilywhite fans, gardai have this morning recovered a number of the tickets, along with three laptops and some gym gear and jersies that were taken during the robbery.

It is unclear at the moment whether all, or just a portion, of the tickets taken have been recovered.

According to local gardai, CCTV footage of the raid is being downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭redarmy

Tickets for Kildare’s crunch qualifier match against Derry tommorrow, Saturday July 23, at Croke Park were stolen during a robbery last night at the Hawkfield training centre and offices outside Newbridge.

Local gardai say that a quantity of tickets for the match were taken during the incident, along with a quantity of cash. The thieves also caused a considerable amount of damage at the training centre.

They broke in through a ground floor window at Hawkfield, and caused a considerable amount of damage to internal doors at the property while breaking into offices.

However, in some good news for Lilywhite fans, gardai have this morning recovered a number of the tickets, along with three laptops and some gym gear and jersies that were taken during the robbery.

It is unclear at the moment whether all, or just a portion, of the tickets taken have been recovered.

According to local gardai, CCTV footage of the raid is being downloaded.
    dubs up for a day trip :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

We have our own discussion thread now :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Le King wrote: »
    12 weeks IIRC.

I heard longer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

kildare9 wrote: »
    I heard longer!!

So he defo wont be back for the All Ireland final so? that's a pity,ah i suppose he'll pick up a medal next year.

tossy wrote: »
    So he defo wont be back for the All Ireland final so? that's a pity,ah i suppose he'll pick up a medal next year.
    He might get an All-Ireland medal since he played in 4 games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

He might get an All-Ireland medal since he played in 4 games :pac:

Its in the bag so - well deserved!

So we play Donegal in the quater-final, have to say im happy with the draw once we avoided Kerry.

It will be an interesting game between to very big and physical teams, Donegal are a very defensive team so I expect it to be very tight throughout.

Kildare by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

So we play Donegal in the quater-final, have to say im happy with the draw once we avoided Kerry.

It will be an interesting game between to very big and physical teams, Donegal are a very defensive team so I expect it to be very tight throughout.

Kildare by 2

I wouldn't go as far as saying we're very defensive, we do defend in numbers and play a counter attacking game, our forward line is one of the best in the country. I think we have what it takes to dispose of Kildare. It'll be close but I'd say we can nick a goal or two which could be very important in a tight defensive game like this.

Donegal by 2

The battle between Mick Foley and Michael Murphy will be interesting, Foley's having a great year so far and Murphy will be a huge test for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Yeah, I just hope Murphy doesn't have to drop into half forward, he's much more dangerous in the full forward position, our supply into him as the start should dictate where he will end up playing. Foley has been great this year so far but Murphy is a 'different' sort of player, it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

My biggest worry though is our midfield, we were quite poor at winning our own kickouts against Derry and Kildare will have a good chance at dominating us in midfield if we can't get Kavanagh and Cassidy back to their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

curry-muff wrote: »
    Yeah, I just hope Murphy doesn't have to drop into half forward, he's much more dangerous in the full forward position, our supply into him as the start should dictate where he will end up playing. Foley has been great this year so far but Murphy is a 'different' sort of player, it'll be interesting to see how he copes.

My biggest worry though is our midfield, we were quite poor at winning our own kickouts against Derry and Kildare will have a good chance at dominating us in midfield if we can't get Kavanagh and Cassidy back to their best.

Kildares biggest weakness at the moment is their midfield. It has constantly being changing through the championship. Its been one temporary fix after another. Hugh Lynch is out. Daryll Flynn is just back form injury and doesn't appear to be 100% fit. Johnny Doyle has been moved in along with Rob Kelly to plug the gaps at various stages. I could have sworn I saw Leper effectively playing a midfield role against Derry also. Winning kickoutss has been a problem for Kildare also.

Glad to hear Donegal probably won't dominate this weakness so :)

Advertisement