Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

That does sound pretty interesting though, of course, how do you write like you're one something you've never experience before?

but then, in saying that, how do you write about someone finding out their child was in an accident without experienceing that or any other number of things writers write about with no direct knowledge of what they write.

I'm really hoping that made sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It was mostly a joke, but it could be a bit of fun either way, just basing it on stereotypical stoner/cokehead/LSD-tripper behaviour.

I finally managed to finish writing a chapter after two months of putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

It was mostly a joke, but it could be a bit of fun either way, just basing it on stereotypical stoner/cokehead/LSD-tripper behaviour.

I find myself intrigued by your "write like pickarooney" idea :D

I reckon some time down the line we'll be able to have a piss-take contest where everyone has to write in the style of someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I reckon some time down the line we'll be able to have a piss-take contest where everyone has to write in the style of someone else.

I love this idea:)

I'd like to take all my unfinished stories and merge them together to form a single, epic tale about zombie US marines (led by a man who thinks he is Batman) fighting Napoleonic soldiers on the third moon of Saturn for control of a small demon-built hotel just outside the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Antilles wrote: »
    I'd like to take all my unfinished stories and merge them together to form a single, epic tale about zombie US marines (led by a man who thinks he is Batman) fighting Napoleonic soldiers on the third moon of Saturn for control of a small demon-built hotel just outside the capital city.

Call it "Zomb-man and the elastic underpants situation"

I have a major GRRR... went through all the effort of ordering a Kindle on amazon.co.uk, then at the final hurdle I'm told I have to order from the US store in order to get it to Ireland. GRR.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    went through all the effort of ordering a Kindle on amazon.co.uk, then at the final hurdle I'm told I have to order from the US store in order to get it to Ireland. GRR.

Lol I could have told you that. I had to order mine from the states too.

A Kindle is a lot of cash for a one-trick pony. Might as well get a cheap tablet and be able to do more with it. Though you may end up watching films instead of reading...

• Advertisement

A Kindle is a lot of cash for a one-trick pony. Might as well get a cheap tablet and be able to do more with it. Though you may end up watching films instead of reading...
    You can't read off a tablet in direct light or it turns into a mirror. Kindle is easy to read everywhere except under the duvet. Kindle has a limited set of abilities and it does them exceptionally well, unlike a tablet which tries to be all things to all people.

Oh and the free worldwide 3G internet access doesn't hurt either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

As long as the people involved aren't too sensitive about it. I think it'd be hilarious to see someone write as though they were me. (Cap'n Negative would probably do a very good job, as we were in the same creative writing group in college, and he knows my addiction to adjectives well! Although I have one word for him - Brie. 'Nuff said.)

It would be great fun actually. It's nice to get outside your own head sometimes and try not to let your preconcieved notions about how someone else must look at things based on arbitrary things they say or do influence you - obviously it'd still be you then. I'm sorry, I ramble a fair bit when I'm tired and become pretty inarticulate, I hope I've gone some way to convey what I mean... I'll shut up now.

I have a Sony reader and it's currently housing Ulysses for me, but I haven't looked at it in a while. It's not really a curling-up-in-bed type product either, which is unfortunately where I'm doing most of my reading these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

You can't read off a tablet in direct light or it turns into a mirror. Kindle is easy to read everywhere except under the duvet. Kindle has a limited set of abilities and it does them exceptionally well, unlike a tablet which tries to be all things to all people.

Haven't had any major problems reading off my iPad in direct light, to be honest. Then again, living in Ireland, harsh light isn't all that common...

Kindle - €140 approx, lasts for a month or so. Super light.

Ipad - €600 +, heavier, wouldn't feel happy reading it on the Luas.

I would like to pick up an iPad at some stage, but not right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

The only thing that pisses me off about the kindle is that you cannot order books off .co.uk, you can only get them from amazon.com

before i knew this i had found two or three books that i wanted to download that were free, only to find i had to pay on the .com site. didnt buy them though.

i have so much writing to do and so little effort to do it. i have to write a few short stories and start work on two novels along with a longer short story and edit a novel/really long short story.

I know i can do it, it's just the effort of sitting down and there are so many reasons not to. oh someones in the hosue, can't leave them alone (cos it would be rude, not because i don't trust them) can't leave the dogs alone all day, thats mean, cant write on laptop, it burns my lap after a while, can't work on anything when i have to clean my room/office.

Procrastination, thy name is Alan.

CD. wrote: »
    The only thing that pisses me off about the kindle is that you cannot order books off .co.uk, you can only get them from amazon.com

before i knew this i had found two or three books that i wanted to download that were free, only to find i had to pay on the .com site. didnt buy them though.

i have so much writing to do and so little effort to do it. i have to write a few short stories and start work on two novels along with a longer short story and edit a novel/really long short story.

I know i can do it, it's just the effort of sitting down and there are so many reasons not to. oh someones in the hosue, can't leave them alone (cos it would be rude, not because i don't trust them) can't leave the dogs alone all day, thats mean, cant write on laptop, it burns my lap after a while, can't work on anything when i have to clean my room/office.

Procrastination, thy name is Alan.

I know how you feel, I know the routes I have to take, but I keep finding exciting stones along the way.

Kindle - €140 approx, lasts for a month or so. Super light.

About the same as I paid for my tablet but you're right about the weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have a laptop. And paper books.

About the same as I paid for my tablet but you're right about the weight.

€140ish for a tablet? You're doing well there sir, but I'm such a mac convert at this stage, it's like an addiction.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I have a laptop. And paper books.

I couldn't read a book on a laptop (though I forgot to print off my novels in work so I may expect you to do just that :P ) and I do love paper books, but for all this eBook jazz I'm glad to say my itouch works grrrand. Spent the night reading Eileen's book, and she'll probably hate that I discovered the note making feature cause I've got that bad boy littered with lil blue dots. :)

I'm inebriated and just had a fantastic idea for a story. Hope it still makes sense in the morning :)

• Advertisement

I'm inebriated and just had a fantastic idea for a story. Hope it still makes sense in the morning :)

Depends on whether or not you stay drunk I guess.

Bad ideas for presents for a kid's birthday #34 - a box of maggots.
    Bad places to put boxes of live maggots #11 - the fridge
    Things you don't want to see first thing on a Monday morning when you're late, hungover and said kid is in rush to get ready for school....

"A futuristic theme park where all is not as it seems"

I'm on to a winner here, I think...

"A futuristic theme park where all is not as it seems"

I'm on to a winner here, I think...

I'm relatively sober and already excited at the prospect (of the story, not sobriety). although now Papa Lazarou is in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

You're mah wafe now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i do my best not to keep a list of to-read books, and yet suddenly i find myself with 3-4 books on this non existent list. which sounds very short and everything except that it should be zero because i do not want a list!!!!

i do my best not to keep a list of to-read books, and yet suddenly i find myself with 3-4 books on this non existent list. which sounds very short and everything except that it should be zero because i do not want a list!!!!

I would suggest scribbling out the names of the books on the non-existent list... but... how would you do such a thing when it doesn't exist? Use a non-existent HB?! Dun dun dunnnnn

it's ok i have decided i will write them down and then leave it at that... somehow
    and hurry up and finish 2 of my current 3 in-progress

it's ok i have decided i will write them down and then leave it at that... somehow
    and hurry up and finish 2 of my current 3 in-progress

You could have warned me of your predicament and I'd have held off on sending you my bookywooks :)

You could have warned me of your predicament and I'd have held off on sending you my bookywooks :)

ah no i will have a look over them dont worry
    might be tomorrow night at this rate

• Advertisement

Nobody sends me any bookywooks :(

Advertisement